Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

VI

Val led me to the car in silence, knowing by my body language that I didn’t want to talk about what had just happened in the bar. After Justin had brought me to the area where I could see the girl he had noticed with Todd and Darren, I realized who it was. I don’t know what it was, probably anger, but I had to leave. Val didn’t argue at all, just led me to the car and opened my door for me like the gentleman that he is.

We had been driving for awhile when I realized we weren’t going home, that Val was just kind of driving in circles. I had my head leaned against the window, and I wasn’t paying much attention to where we were going at all. Suddenly, the car stopped and was put into park. The engine was killed and we just sat there for a minute.

“Come on,” Val said and got out of the car. I sat up, turning my head from side to side before looking at our surroundings. I got out of the car silently and met up with Val at the front of the car. He gave me a small smile and linked our arms together and started walking. I walked as close as possible without tripping up Val and myself, seeing as the winter air was rather bitter and walking along the Detroit River didn‘t help much. But the fresh air was nice and was helping to calm me down, so I didn’t mind it that much.

After we had walked a little ways down the river, I stopped and leaned against the wall, watching and listening to the water as it swirled and crashed against the wall below.

“So what was that about back at the bar?” Val asked leaning with his arm against the wall so he could look at me as we spoke. I let out a long sigh and looked up at the cloudy sky.

“What do you think?”

“I think that that was your sister I’ve only heard about maybe twice…are you two twins?”

“Yep,” I said, nodding my head slowly.

“So what happened between you two?”

“When our parents got divorced, she moved away with my dad, and I stayed with my mom.”

“How come you didn’t go and say hi? Why did we have to leave?”

“Because…because the last time I talked to her, like had a full on, good conversation with her, was when we were probably sixteen.” At this his eyes widened and his mouth hung open slightly.

“That’s six years…”

“Yeah, I know.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever gone longer than six days without speaking to Ilari…”

“Yeah but your relationship is different.”

“I suppose. So why is it that we left? Did you feel awkward or…?”

“I think… I don’t know. It might have been anger actually.” At this he grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together, causing a small smile to form on my lips.

“Explain.”

“Why didn’t she call me? Or find some sort of way to contact me and say that she was going to be here? You know?”

“Wait, she was with the Kings players. So she was probably at the Kings ga-…Oh wow.”

“What?”

“That’s who I saw when I thought it was you, obviously. So she was at the game you went to in LA. Don’t you think that’s kind of the same thing? You didn’t call her or try to get ahold of her the whole time we were in California.”

“But that’s different. I didn’t know she was still there, let alone hanging out with the freaking Kings…”

“Do you think she knew that you were hanging out with us and dating me?”

“Damnit Val, why do you have to be so logical all the time?” I demanded and he laughed, moving around so he was facing me.

“One of us has to do it,” He said as his hands found their way to my face, pulling me in for a kiss. I leaned forward into it before he gently pushed me back against the wall, deepening it. His hands found their way to my waist as mine wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer to me, if it was possible.

Don’t change the way you think of me, we’re from the same stor- I sighed as I broke away from Val and reached into my pocket for my phone.

“Yeah?”

“Hey, what happened? Where did you and Val go?”

“Just uh, didn’t feel good I guess. Sorry Hank, I didn’t even think to tell you.” Val gave me a pointed look and I waved him off with my hand.

“Are you okay though?”

“Yeah, we’re fine. Next time I’ll stay with you guys, I promise.”

“Okay sounds good,” He said laughing. “I guess I’ll let you go then. Hope you feel better!”

“Thanks Hank.” With that I shoved the phone back in my pocket and looked up into Val’s blue eyes. “That wasn’t a lie, by the way.”

“What do you mean?”

“I didn’t lie to Hank.”

“Oh really?”

“I really didn’t feel good seeing her in there,” I said quietly and he sighed, wrapping his arms around me in a hug.

“I know. Try not to let it bother you, okay? You guys will work it out eventually.”

“And if we don’t?”

“There is no ‘if we don’t’. Because you will. Now would you rather stay out in the cold or get back home?”

-

“Mom? You here?” I called out loudly as I entered my moms small house. After the divorce she had only dated a few times, nothing really big. That didn’t bother her though and I think she enjoyed living by herself.

“In the kitchen honey, did you need something?” I walked into the kitchen to see her sitting at the table reading a newspaper with a cup of coffee. I took a seat across from her and she glanced up at me to smile before returning her attention to the paper.

“Did you know Emily came to Michigan?” I asked bluntly, deciding not to beat around the bush.

“She was in Michigan? Huh, no I didn’t know that. How did you find that out?”

“Justin saw her when we were at the bar. Him, Todd and Darren saw her and thought it was insane how she looked like me. But that’s not the point.”

“What is the point?” She asked, folding the newspaper up and setting it next to her so she could focus all her attention on me.

“Why didn’t anyone know she was here?”

“I don’t know, did you happen to see who she was here with?”

“I’m pretty sure with the NHL team from LA…”

“The Kings.”

“…You don’t watch hockey, how did you know that? You hardly knew who Yzerman was when he was on the Wings!”

“I know because she’s dating someone on that team, she’s told me about him. He seems like a nice guy. I have yet to meet him though, you know how it gets, you’re always busy and can’t find time to visit and whatnot.” I just looked at her.

“Why am I just finding this out?” I demanded.

“I didn’t think it really mattered to you. You girls haven’t spoken in so long, I figured, what’s the point of telling you something like that?”

“Does she know about Val and I?”

“I don’t recall if I told her or not. Did you see her at the bar too, or was it just the guys?”

“I saw her. Justin wanted to show her to me because he was amazed with how much she looked like me.”

“Did you go and say hi? Introduce Val to her? I’m sure she would love him, he’s such a nice guy.”

“No Mom, I didn’t go say hi to her. I left.”

“Why?” She looked surprised.

“Because Mom! She’s my twin sister! The least she could do when she’s coming back to the state that she grew up in with me is maybe, I don’t know, call? You know, just a little phone call ‘hey I might be in Michigan soon, want to catch up?’ !” I realized I was getting really worked up and paused to try and calm myself down.

“Oh Amy honestly. You just went out to LA with Val and the rest of the guys, did you think to call her while you were out there?”

“Well, no. But-”

“No buts! It’s the same thing. You can’t get mad at her about it if you did the same exact thing she did.” At this I sighed, looking down at the table.

“I guess…”

“Well anyway, are you doing anything today? Because if not, my sister is driving in. She’s wanted to meet Val since I told her about him, do you think you guys would want to come over for dinner maybe?” I thought about what our plans were for the night.

“I don’t know, maybe. I’ll see if we have anything planned. But I have to go pick him up from practice, his car is in the shop, I was just stopping in on my way there.”

“Okay honey, I’ll talk to you later then. I love you.” With that, I got up, gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and was out of the house.