Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXIX

I tiredly rubbed my eyes as I quietly shut Junior’s nursery door. The early morning feedings were the worse, especially since Jack needs his night sleep and can’t fully help out all the time. Frowning, I watched as Amy walked out of the guest bathroom rubbing her stomach.

“You alright sissy?” I ask apparently startling her.

“I’m fine, besides that small heart attack you just gave me.” Amy said with her hand over her chest. “What are you doing up?” All I did was point to the nursery door. “Right . . .”

“Are you feeling okay?” I asked quietly not wanting to wake up everyone.

“Yeah, why would you ask?”

“Well, seeing that it’s almost four in the morning and I know you can sleep like a rock unless you’re sick, just thought I’d ask.”

“Nope, I’m fine. But you should get back to bed, go.” Amy pushed me towards my room. “Night sissy,”

“Night,” I walked back to my room, getting back into bed and let out a sigh.

“What took so long?” Jack asked half asleep.

“Ran into Amy in the hall, go back to sleep.”

***

I walked down stairs adjust the Christmas pajama’s I found on the foot of my bed. Getting into the kitchen, I rolled my eyes as I saw Amy in the exact same pajamas. Typical mom. Jack and Val were seated at the kitchen table with my dad and Jack’s dad talking about something, my mom and Tina were making breakfast while Amy was sitting on the counter eat frosting.

“Where’s Kenny and Junior?” I asked making myself known.

“Good morning sleeping beauty.” My mom greeted as I jumped up next to Amy on the counter.

“Let the girl sleep in, she doesn’t get to do it a whole lot.” Dad said with a smile then went back to his conversation with the guys.

“How are you feeling honey?” Tina asked me, making me confused. “Jay Jay said you’ve been tired a lot more recently, with him traveling and his schedule.”

“Oh, well yeah but I’m not one to complain. I have dad to help and the other girls to help too. Three of us had kids within months of each other.”

“Jack,” Kenny called out walking into the kitchen with Junior. “Here,”

“What . . . Kenny,” Jack rolled his eyes as he stood up with Junior and left up stairs.

“I don’t want to change that.” Kenny muttered sitting at the kitchen island. I ruffled his hair with a smile. After Jack came back down we all dished up and ate. I frowned as I watched Amy push around some of the food on her plate. When we were done eating, mom and Tina took all the plates, making the rest of us go sitting in the living room.

“I want the baby,” Amy pouted as I bounced him on my knee.

“Then make one of your own.” I told her sticking my tongue out. Kenny laughed as he took his seat in front of the couch Jack and I were on.

“Kenny, why don’t you start handing out the gifts?” Mom hollered from the kitchen.

“This will take a long time.” Val stated as Kenny dug through the gifts.

“Val, you want your nephew?” I asked holding out Junior.

“Sure,”

“Mean.” Amy muttered as Val settled back with Junior.

***

I yawned as I laid out on the couch watching everyone talk, wrapping paper and gift bags littering the floor. Jack senior and Tina were playing with Junior, making him giggle and coo.

“Oh hey, there’s one thing left in the tree.” Kenny said trying to reach up and get it. Jack walked over to the tree, grabbing the small red velvet bag that was on a branch too high for Kenny.

“Who’s it for?” Amy asked as she snuggled more into Val.

“Uh, looks like it’s for Em,” Jack answered with a nonchalant shrug. Moving my legs, he sat back down and handed me the bag. Confused, I pulled the draw string and turned the bag and dumped the contents of it into my hand. I heard the gasp around the room but all I did was stare at the silver ban, princess cut, accented with smaller diamonds, simple, yet exquisite.

“J—Jack . . .” I stumbled over his name as I stared at the ring. I looked up at him as he took the ring from my hand.

“Marry me?”

“Wha—are you serious?” He just nodded, slowly slipping the ring onto the finger where it belonged. Nearly in tears, I pulled him into a tight hug, kissing him.

“The rate they’re going, you guys will be grandparents again before in laws.” I heard Amy say. Pulling away with a chuckle I looked over at her.

“You knew,”

“I pled the fifth.” Narrowing my eyes, her only response was an all knowing smile.