Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXXV

I slowly walked into Amy and Val’s house, still trying not to replay the images in my head.

“You’re back early, I thought you were going to go over wedding stuff with mom?” Amy asked as she came out of the kitchen with food.

“Uh yeah . . . that didn’t happen.” I mumbled as I sat down. Val had Junior standing on his lap, Junior with his little hands wrapped around Val’s fingers to keep balanced.

“What happened?” I looked over at Amy and shook my head. “Oh come on, it can’t be that bad.”

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” I told her as she rolled her eyes. “I figured out where dad’s been taking his ‘business trips’ to.” She just looked at me confused. “Ma’s bedroom,”

“What?” Val and Amy said at the same time.

“Yeah, totally walked in on mom and dad . . . that image will never leave my mind.”

“Mine either; I think I’m going to be sick.” Amy mumbled as she set her plate down and left the room quickly.

“She been doing that a lot lately?” I asked while observing how Val was absorbed in Junior.

“Not too much, she’s almost to her second trimester so hopefully it’s stops soon enough.” Val told me as he turned Junior around to face him. “How’s Jack doing?”

“Good, him and the guys got back from Big Bear, apparently caught a lot of fish. Guess they’re back practicing though.”

“Didn’t take Jack for much of a fisherman.” I gave a little shrug as Val handed Junior to me.

“He’s not but with him being friends with Mike it’s some male bonding thing I guess.”

“Okay, let’s never speak of that again.” Amy said as she came back to the living room.

“What, fishing or mom and dad having sex?” I asked with a small smirk as Amy groaned leaving the room. “Gotta admit, that’s kind of fun.”

“You’re mean.”

“Val, we’ve gone over this countless times.” He just shook his head and chuckled. “Besides, it’s what older siblings do.”

***

I smiled as Junior cooed and “talked” to the computer screen. He was laid out on his belly, propping himself up on his arms. Jack on the other end of the screen just watching.

“Seems like he’s gotten bigger and it’s only been a couple days.” Jack said as he continued to watch our son.

“I know, he’s growing up so fast.” I murmured, rubbing Junior’s back.

“So that really happened?” Jack asked referring to me walking in on my parents. I just nodded trying not to gag at the thought. “I wonder why they aren’t telling you guys what’s going on.”

“They probably aren’t together, just having fun.” I answered somewhat defeated. Amy and I had always hoped our parents would get back together. They never told us exactly why they divorced, not that I really wanted to know.

“When are you going back over to plan stuff for the wedding?”

“Tomorrow, I made sure I called and planed it with her.” Junior let out a cry, telling me he didn’t want to be on his belly anymore. Sighing I picked him up and set him on my lap. “Where were you thinking we should have the wedding?”

“I was thinking Michigan, maybe outdoors somewhere by one of the lakes. Mike even suggested if we decided on a smaller wedding, to have it at his place in Kenora.”

“Really?” I asked surprised. I didn’t figure Mike would even consider bringing that up. “That’s thoughtful of him.”

“What date were you thinking?”

“Either the end of June or beginning of July. I know you focus a lot of your ice training in August so that wouldn’t be a good time to go on a honeymoon. Amy is due in July, so she’ll be like I was at her wedding.”

“I’m fine with July fourth.”

“Jack,” I laughed knowing that part of him was being completely serious, the other part joking around. “I know we’re two very proud American’s but, I don’t want that to be my wedding anniversary.”

“Alright what date were you thinking?”

“June thirtieth,” Jack just nodded, I could tell he was thinking about it. “Is there something wrong with that date?”

“No, I think it’s perfect. But it’s getting late, he is starting to fall asleep and I have a game tomorrow.”

“Okay, night, love you.”

“Love you too!” I heard Amy shout as she walked by the guest room.

“Ass!” Jack just laughed as Amy let out a cackle. “I could make her throw up again . . .”

“Goodnight Em, love you.” Closing out the program and shutting down my laptop, I looked down at my son who was fascinated with the ring that adorned my finger.