Status: Fini.<3

Green and Gray

Hold Tight, It's Just Beginning

Image

I think what really drew me to him was his thin, lanky frame. His clothes hung off of his body in an awkward way, but he didn’t seem to care. He had this confidence about him that I was envious of. It was as If he didn’t care that he looked ridiculous in his too-big shirt that hung off of his shoulders and the ultra skinny jeans that were baggy on his thin, chicken legs. He was so skinny, but he just didn’t seem to give a damn.

He was with a group of guys and just seemed like he was having the best time. His smile was big and genuine and it made his jaw even more refined than it already was. I wanted to know him. I wanted to know all about him.

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” Ryder said as he slid into the booth across from where I was seated.

Once upon a time, Ryder was “straight” and had used me as a cover up girlfriend, so he wouldn’t have to come out to his parents. I knew what he was doing two weeks in and didn’t really care; it‘s not like I had guys flocking to me or anything.

Ryder had dark, dark hair that fell down in soft curls. I was always jealous of his hair. His cheekbones stuck out more than anyone I knew as did his collarbones. I never understood how no one knew he was gay.

“Oh, it’s totally fine.” I replied as I snapped back to reality. I had no idea how long I had been staring at the skinny guy across the restaurant, but I hoped he hadn’t noticed. “So, what’s up?” I questioned then took a sip from my glass of iced tea. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a large grin spread across Skinny’s face.

“Nothing at all like usual. I just came from my parent’s house and my mom had the balls to ask me if I ever think about having sex with old guys.” He shuddered while I raised one of my eyebrows at him. “God, I really wish I never came out to her. She keeps asking me personal questions I don’t know how to answer.” I smirked while he called over our waitress in a not so subtle way. “Excuse me, Miss, can I order a drink, please?” He asked loudly.

I rolled my eyes and tapped my fingernails against the wooden tabletop, “You know, Ryder,” I said once the waitress had gotten his drink order and scurried off, “the only reason why you came out to her in the fist place was because she kept asking you when we were getting married.”

He let out a sound the mix between a grown and a scoff, “Sparrow, how dare you even bring that up! Just let me complain to you!” He sighed dramatically then fell into the vinyl cushions behind him. Next, he picked up his cell phone and began texting. “God,” He sighed dramatically, “Shawn won’t leave me alone.” He rolled his eyes and looked at me, bored.

Shawn was his sometimes boyfriend who was absolutely gorgeous.

“Wow, Ryder, someone actually wants to put up with your demanding ass and you look bored.” I laughed and put my menu down on the vinyl next to me. Our waitress came over with his drink then quickly took our lunch orders. Bowtie pasta with alfredo for me and a Caesar salad for him. I swore he was more of a girl than I was.

“Sparrow, I just get bored easily. You know that I have a short attention span.” He said looking completely pathetic.

I rolled my eyes at him again then looked around the restaurant once more. My gray eyes landed on the lanky guy across the room almost immediately. He was shoveling bites of lasagna into his mouth which really shocked me since it looked like he hadn’t eaten in months.

“What are you looking at?” Ryder asked, tearing me from my thoughts. When I turned back to him, he was looking in the direction of the five guys like I had previously done. “Oow, which one are you watching?” He whispered excitedly.

Quickly, I ran a hand over my face and sighed. There was no way I was getting out of this one now. “The one wearing the black baseball tee.” I answered in a low voice.

“Hmm,” He said as he kept looking.

“What?” I questioned, now with my arms folded across my chest. Under the table, my legs were crossed as well.

“He doesn’t seem like your type; he’s too skinny.” Ryder said as he finally tore his eyes away and leaned back into the booth.

I scoffed in response, “I dated you.”

He rolled his eyes, “Poor, little naïve Sparrow.” He smiled sympathetically at me, “We weren’t dating, Honey.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, “Oh, yeah, I forgot, I was just your decoy. You used me.” Why was I still friends with him after all of these years?

“You were just doing me a favor.” I shook my head and began to twirl my straw in my plastic cup that said “Coca-Cola” in white cursive. “Go ask him for his number if you’re that interested.” He was on his phone again, seemingly not paying much attention to our conversation anymore.

“I’m classier than that, Ryder, you know that. Plus, he probably has a girlfriend.” I was making up excuses again and he knew it.

“You need to get laid.” My mouth dropped open in shock, but he ignored it and looked over at the boys then scrunched up his face, “Nope, he’s single. If he wasn’t, he’d have his phone out on the table ready to text her back when she texted him.” He said once he turned back to me. I looked at him, bewildered, “You don’t have your phone out, do you?” He smirked.

Once again, I narrowed my eyes at him. It was sad to say that he was being tame with his insults. “I’m not going over there and asking.”

“Well,” He sighed and finally put his phone down, “I would go over and ask for you,” His face scrunched up again, “but I’m just too lazy.”

For what felt like the hundredth time, I rolled my eyes, “You’re hopeless, Ryder.”

His phone chimed from next to his silverware and he smiled then picked it up, “Hopelessly in love.”

I stared blankly at him, “Ten minutes ago you were complaining that he wouldn’t leave you alone.” I cried incredulously.

“Yeah, but he’s so sexy.” He sighed dreamily. Gag me with a spoon.

I loved Ryder, I really did, but he could be a bit too much to handle at times. I never understood his moodswings most of the time and I was usually jealous of him because he tended to date very gorgeous boys. It was always a shame knowing some of the most attractive guys you’d ever seen were gay.

Image

“Do you want to get Starbucks before I head over to Shawn’s?” Ryder asked as we stood outside of the Italian restaurant we had just eaten at.

I nodded and mumbled out an “of course” before we trekked across the street to the coffee chain. “So what are your plans with the lovely Shawn tonight?” I asked as we walked down the street, to the corner.

Ryder immediately got a huge smile on his face and clasped his hands together under his chin, “Well, we’re going to stay in and watch tons of movies then he said he’s making me low-carb cheese enchiladas.” He sighed in content, “He just knows the way to my heart.” He said as I opened the door for him and he walked through. I laughed and shook my head as I followed him inside.

“Hi, what can I get you today?” The barista smiled at me once she was done writing down Ryder’s complicated order.

“Can I get a venti caramel macchiato, upside down with extra caramel?” She nodded and began writing it down on one of the white cups.

“Anything else?” She questioned

“Uhm,” I looked in the pastry case to my right and spotted what I wanted, “Can I get a blueberry streusel muffin, please?”

She nodded once more as she added it to my total. “Your total is 6.73.”

At the mention of my total, I plopped my oversized bag onto the counter and began searching for my wallet. Just as I pulled it out, a hand reached over and handed the barista a five and two ones. I knew it wasn’t Ryder because A.) he would never buy me coffee because he was a tightass and B.) he had been wearing a black and white striped sweater. I looked up in shock to see who this person was and saw the very skinny guy from the restaurant. Damn, he was tall.

“Here,” He smiled at the barista, “I got this pretty lady’s.” He said then winked at me.

My insides turned to mush. His voice was gentle yet firm at the same time and his smile was even more amazing up close.

“Y-you don’t have to do that.” I stuttered out quickly, “He-here.” I said as I began taking bills out of my wallet to give to him.

He shook his head with a laugh, “It’s okay.” The barista had already given him his twenty-two cents back and he was pocketing it.

“Wh-why did you just buy me coffee?” I questioned, a bit stunned. Never in my life had something like this happened.

He shrugged then ignored my question and introduced myself, “I’m John.”

I looked at him skeptically for a second before finally letting my name pass my lips, “Sparrow.”

“Hmm,” He smiled thoughtfully, “Sparrow is a nice name.” I hated it; I had gotten picked on so much during school.

“Thanks, now let me pay you back.” I had shoved the seven dollars into his chest, but he just laughed.

“Just accept it and say “thank you.””

I shook my head stubbornly, “No, let me repay you.

He smiled down at me in amusement, “You just don’t give up, do you?”

Once again, I shook my head, “No, now here.” I thrusted the money at him again, but all he did was take my hand and gently move it back to my body. His hands were warm and rough.

“How about as a way to repay me, you let me take you out on a date.” My jaw went slack and my mind stopped working. Had I heard him correctly? A date? “That is, unless the guy you’re with is your boyfriend?“

At the mention of Ryder, I turned and looked at him. He was sitting at a table with his legs crossed, his “manbag” in his lap and a black, heart-shaped Marc Jacobs pocket mirror in his hands as he messed with his hair. He was completely oblivious to what was going on with me.

I turned back to John and chuckled, “He’s definitely not my boyfriend.” I said then took in a big breath, “But, yes, I will go out with you," I said, "but only to repay you.” I clarified.

He smiled brightly at me, “Whatever you say, Sparrow.” The way my name rolled off his tongue made me not hate it as much. “How does tonight sound to you?” He tilted his head to the side as he asked me.

“Sounds perfect.”

He smiled his perfect smile then reached into the pocket of his tight jeans and retracted an iPhone, “Give me your number so I can get your address.” I recited my number to him and he saved it to his contacts.

“Come on, John.” One of the guys he was with at the restaurant said from the doorway.

“I’m coming.” He said then turned back to me and took a breath as if he was about to begin speaking again.

“That’s what she said.” Another one of them said and the others all began snickered. All the while, John rolled his eyes then smiled softly down at me, “I’ll see you tonight then.”

I nodded in confirmation, “Right, Ill see you tonight.” I smiled and then he was off with this friends. Through the front window, I saw him punch the one that said the crude joke on the arm, causing me to giggle.

“Come on Smitten Kitten.” Ryder said as he walked up to me with my drink and muffin in hand. I took them from him as he complained about how long I took with my new “boy toy.” But I wasn’t really listening; all I could think about was the lanky boy I had a date with that night.

As we walked out of the coffee chain, my phone vibrated and chimed from my front pocket.

“I can’t wait for tonight, Beautiful.” I read to myself and couldn’t hold my smile back.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! Woo! Not sure when exactly I'll be updating again because I'm still working out a few kinks and things with it. So just subscribe if you're interested. And comment if you like it (or didn't like it) :)

Sparrow

We Both Go Down Together - The Decemberists