Status: Fini.<3

Green and Gray

Let Love Begin

Image

John was picking me up at 6:45 and we were going to dinner and “wherever the night takes us.” It was a typical date, but what could you expect from a first date?

I pulled on a pair of tight medium wash skinny jeans and a white t-shirt with a couple of feathers on the front. Over my shoulders was my favorite studded leather jacket and on my feet were a pair of black and white oxfords. The only makeup I was wearing was foundation, blush, and mascara. My eyelashes were long enough for them to look fake when they were painted and thickened. It was something I loved; I never had to ruin my eyelashes with fake ones.

We ended up at PF Chang's after John showed up and whisked me away in his old Chevy pickup truck. We had listened to “Plans” by Death Cab For Cutie on the way there and he complimented me on how I looked, saying I looked “absolutely stunning.” The hostess seated us immediately seeing as it was the middle of the week. We went without conversation for a short amount of time, but I kept stealing glances at him over my menu, truly amazed that someone as attractive as him took a liking to me.

It wasn't until after the waiter took our drink orders that conversation started flowing. “When is your birthday, Sparrow?” I didn't think I could get tired of hearing my name fall from his lips.

“March 13.” I replied with a small smile. “When is yours?”

“August 4.” He answered, “I used to have kickass birthday parties during the Summer.” I couldn't help but chuckle.

“I never really had great birthday parties because it's still pretty cold and rainy during March.” I frowned and he awhed at me.

“What year were you born?” He asked next, causing me to laugh.

“Wow, what a strange way to ask me how old I am.”

He playfully rolled his eyes at me as he smiled, “Well, I don't want to straight up ask you how old you are. My mother taught me better manners than that.”

I laughed again, “I'm twenty-one.” I answered.

“I'm twenty-two.” Just as the words left his lips, our waiter returned with our drinks then asked us for our orders.

When our menus were gone and our orders in, I continued with our conversation, “Now that the age thing is out of the way, let's get some more basic questions done and over with.” He nodded and waited for me to go on. “This is crucial for me,” I paused trying to make it sound more dramatic than it actually would be. “do you listen to The Decemberists?” I was completely serious in my tone which is what I think really had him laughing.

“Yes, yes I do listen to The Decemberists. Their music is pretty great.”

I nodded, satisfied, “Okay, good because if you didn't, this date would have been over.”

“Well then I'm glad I started listening to them some odd years ago or I would have been completely crushed watching you walk out that door.” He was charming, that's for sure. “Now, Sparrow, what do you do for a living?”

This time he was interrupted by our waited bringing our fried greenbeans as our appetizer. I wondered if this was how the rest of the night was going to go, but that thought was short-lived when I remembered John was waiting for my answer. “Well, John,” I began as I picked a greenbean off the plate between us and dunked it into the sauce it came with. “I, currently, am working at a little shop down by where we met.”

“Oh, really? What kind of shop?” He asked while I chewed on the fried vegetable.

“My sister's shop, actually. She's a fashion designer and sells her designs along with some assorted other brands. I actually also work at my aunt's office as an office bitch.”

He snorted, “Office bitch?” He questioned with a raised eyebrow an I nodded.

“Yes, an office bitch. I do what the other bitches don't want to do. It's a lot of organizing, folder making and filing tossed with the occasional phone duty.” I grimaced and he frowned.

“You seem to hate it.” He observed to which I nodded at.

“Oh, I definitely do, but it's good pay.” I shrugged then picked up another greenbean. “What about you?”

He cleared his throat almost awkwardly, “Uhm, well,” I cocked my eyebrow at his sudden awkwardness, “I'm, uh, in a, uh, band.” He finally spit out and my eyebrows both lifted in surprise.

“Oh, really?” I questioned, completely intrigued.

He nodded, “Yeah. It's called The Maine and it's a very huge part of my life.” He gushed and I smiled at the automatic smile that took over his face. I could tell he was really proud.

“That's pretty freaking rad.” I confessed to which he nodded at. “So then are you just passing through Arizona or...” I trailed off.

He shook his head, “I actually live here in Tempe.” A wave of relief washed over me at the news that he wasn't just passing through on tour. “But I actually am passing through on tour right now.” So much for my previous thought. “We played LA last night and we play The Marquee tomorrow night then we're on to, I think, Texas.” I frowned, thoroughly disappointed. “We won't be back until November.” My frown deepened, “So, if you want this date to be over because who knows when you'll see me again, just say the word and I'll take you home.”

He was being so considerate, but I didn't want the date to be over so soon. So I shook my head and placed my hand over his that was tracing shapes in the condensation on his glass of Sprite. He immediately ceased movement when he felt the warmth of my hand on his, “Let's just see where tonight goes before we jump to future dates.” I squeezed his hand and let it linger before bringing it back to my side of the table

“Okay,” He smiled sheepishly.

“So, John,” I began, changing the subject, “do you have any siblings?”

He went back to drawing on his glass, “I have two younger brothers.” All of the condensation had collected on his pointer finger leaving it soaked. He wiped it on the thigh of his skinny jeans then looked back across the table at me, “What about you?”

I nodded as I twirled my straw in my drink, “Three older sisters.”

His eyes widened, “Whoa, four girls?”

I nodded again with a laugh, “The oldest is twenty-five and the other two are twins at twenty-four.”

He cracked a small smile, “So your parents decided to wait a couple of years before having you?”

With another laugh, I nodded once more, “I think I was more of a surprise than anything since they already had their hands full with the other three.”

We went back and forth, getting to know each other. I learned more about his band and he learned more about me. I really enjoyed talking to him and by how much he was smiling, I'd like to say he was having a good time as well. When we walked out of the Chinese bistro, I was aware of his full name and some random fun facts about hims like how he broke his wrist two winters before and how much the physical therapy for it hurt.

The night led us down the street to Yogurt Land for frozen yogurt. Since we were in the middle of the Tempe campus of ASU, it was a little crowded with college kids needing a break from their stressful college lives. Once we finally got our cups of frozen yogurt, we walked around the courtyard where the glowing fountain was situated, eating our yogurt.

“What are you doing tomorrow, Sparrow L'Amour?” John asked then shoveled a spoon full of yogurt and pineapple into his mouth.

I smirked at the French accent he used for my last name, “Tomorrow is actually my day off.” I had worked at my sister's shop in the art district that morning and I only went into the office on Fridays.

“Seeing as I'm having a really good time and I think you're having a good time as well, would you like to accompany me to my band's show tomorrow?”

I mulled it over in my head before responding. He would be leaving the following night and wouldn't be back until late November. I really liked what I had seen of him on our date, but I wasn't sure about his tour schedule. Was it worth it? Was he worth it?

After some more debate in my head, I finally gave him my answer, “I would love to.” I smiled to which he returned immediately.

We talked and joked as we sat by the fountain under the dark sky before he pulled me up from my plastic chair and walked me back to his pickup, all the while our fingers were laced and the smile wouldn't leave my lips.

I couldn't believe that he wanted to see me before he left. He wanted me to go to his show and most likely meet his bandmates. It was so weird to think that he liked me that much.

“So, I'll pick you up tomorrow at 2:30 and you can watch my band soundcheck and hangout backstage. I'll even let you have some of the catering food.” He joked and I giggled.

“Okay. I can't wait.” I put my hand on the doorknob, wondering if this was it or if he was going to kiss me goodnight. “I had fun tonight, John. Thank you for that.” I prolonged my time before having to open my door.

“Oh, you're very welcome. I had fun, too.” I smiled then twisted the knob. “Wait.” He stopped me and my heartbeat picked up.

“Hmm?” I asked as I looked up at him, wishing and hoping he would just lean down and kiss me.

“You're very beautiful, you know that?” He asked softly as he cradled my head in his big, rough hands.

I blushed in response and tried to look away. “No, Sparrow, look at me.” I did as I was told and reconnected my gray eyes with his green ones. “You're too special to kiss on the first date.”

My brow furrowed, “Special like “don't eat the paste” special or...?”

He chuckled then leaned down and tenderly placed a gentle kiss to my forehead, “Special like “the only star shining in this polluted sky” special.”

I smiled incredibly wide at his words. This boy was way too charming.

“I don't want to fuck this up by rushing into things too quickly, so I'm just going to do this-” He removed his hands and placed his lips to my cheek, leaving it to linger a few extra seconds, “-and say goodnight.” He smiled his million dollar smile then slowly began walking backwards down the hallway to get outside, “Goodnight Sparrow.” He called and then he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took a while to get out! I wanted to wait until I got my new Macbook to start typing everything. During the few weeks I didn't post anything, I filled in the gaps of this story, so I'll try and update as regularly as possible.
Thank you for reading.<3

Lamour

Think of Me - The Decemberists