Status: Fini.<3

Green and Gray

Sweetly Tipsy by the Half Light

Image

I had done what Winter said and “made myself look hot.” Despite the cold temperatures, I wore a crème colored lace dress with a pair of House of Holland tights and my favorite studded leather jacket and combat boots. Once I had gotten myself changed, I sat in my living room on my Macbook, waiting for Landon to pick me up. John had texted me the address a little after I got home and Mapquest told me it was about thirteen miles away.

It was another fifteen minutes before my phone rang. I looked away from an email my cousin living in Paris had sent me, and grabbed the iPhone. “Are you here?” Was the first thing out of my mouth.

“Actually, Love, I'm not going to be able to make it.” He sounded genuinely sorry from the other end.

My mind slowed and I started to panic, “What do you mean you won't be able to make it?” I questioned in confusion. What could he possibly have to do?

“Yeah, I'm really sorry, Love, but my father's doctor called and he has some news for us, so we're going in there right now.”

My brow creased as I looked outside at the dark, Arizona night then at the clock on my laptop, “But it's almost eight.”

“I know, but the doctor really wanted to talk to us tonight.” He sighed, “I'm truly sorry, Sparrow. I was really looking forward to meeting your friends.”

“O-okay.” I stuttered, still a bit lost, “Well, I hope the news is good.” My forehead rested against my palm as my elbow rested on my knee.

“So do I. I'm sorry again, Sparrow. Have fun, though!” I heard a mumbled voice in the background, but couldn't make out what it said, “I have to go now. I'll talk to you tomorrow.” He didn't wait for me to reply before hanging up.

Gnawing on my bottom lip, I debated on my options. I didn't exactly have to go to the party now. I could stay home and not face John. I could get into my pajamas and watch some movies with some junk food. I was already dressed, though.

Sighing, I got up from the couch and grabbed my bag. It was going to be an interesting night.
Image

There weren't as may people at the “get together” as I thought there were going to be. Most of them were guys and what I presumed to be their girlfriends. I had texted John when I parked and told him I was there and to help me not feel as awkward by meeting me at the front door.

“Hey, you look nice.” He greeted then pulled me in for a hug, surprising me.

“U-uh, thanks.” I was a little taken aback by how cheery he was.

He smiled, “Where's your boyfriend?” He asked, seemingly just noticing I was alone.

I frowned, “He had something come up with his dad and his doctor or something.” His brow furrowed, “I've learned not to question it because it's a bunch of bullshit I'm not apart of.” I shrugged and he laughed.

“Fair enough. Anyways,” He stepped aside, “come meet everyone” He gently grasped my forearm and dragged me into the house. The stench of alcohol immediately hit my nostrils. My nose crinkled, rejecting the smell. I never was one for parties.

He led me to the kitchen where a small group of people were gathered. I recognized two of them as Kennedy and Pat from his band, but the rest I wasn't sure about. “Hey, guys,” He announced and everyone looked at him at once, “uh, this is my friend Sparrow.” They stared blankly at him, except for Pat and Kennedy, who smiled a hello at me. “Sparrow, these are my friends.” He gestured to a guy with a shaved head and bright blue eyes who had his fingers laced with a pretty blonde, “This is Loren and his fiance Lex.”

I blinked in minor shock, “Oh, congratulations.” I smiled to which they returned and said a pleasant “thank you.”

“And you've met Kennedy and Pat.” I nodded. “That's Tim, our manager, and also Pat's older brother.” I smiled politely at the three of them. “Do you want a drink?”

I looked at all of the bottles of hard liquor on the counter and grimaced, “I'll pass.” I said and he nodded.

“Okay.” He smiled then grabbed a beer from the refrigerator he was standing next to, “Well, everyone else is outside, so let's go say “hello.”” He smiled brightly at me. Maybe he wasn't pissed off at me for not telling him about Landon. I mean, we only went out on two dates before he left and it's not like we talked a lot while he was gone.

I was introduced to a few more people before I took a seat in one of the lawn chairs that were placed around a bonfire. Garrett was to my left and a guy with a fabulous mustache named Austin on his other side. John had been sitting in the chair to my right, but was called off to play a game of beer pong a few minutes after we sat down.

I felt even more awkward sitting there without anyone I really knew than I did when I first got there. Letting out a deep breath, I told myself I needed to relax and not be so socially awkward.

“So,” Austin spoke over the crackling of the fire, “Sparrow,” I turned and look at him, waiting for him to go on, “that's an interesting name.”

I raised an amused eyebrow at him as Garrett tried to disguise his laugh by bringing his fist to his mouth and fake-coughing, “Almost as interesting as your mustache.”

He smirked and Garrett snickered, “You like it?”

I shrugged nonchalantly, “I've seen bigger.” Now, Garrett was laughing loudly.

“So, what are you, John's girlfriend?”

I was slightly shocked at his bluntness, but masked it well, “Not at all.” I answered, cooly.

“Then how about a mustache ride?”

My jaw went slack and Garrett started laughing again, “Easy there, Smoothasaurus, she already has a boyfriend.” I frowned; who told him?

“How do you know that?” I questioned.

“Jared told me about Starbucks earlier.” I cringed, “He told me John was really upset on the ride home. He doesn't like that he came home and you have a boyfriend.”

Sadly, I turned and looked at where John was playing beer pong with Trey against the guy from Starbucks with big lips, who had introduced himself as Halvo, and a girl who introduced herself as Halvo's sister. John was smiling brightly and laughed and just looked happy. “I'm happy with Landon, Garrett.”

He nodded, “I'm not telling you that you shouldn't be. I'm just letting you know that you probably broke his heart.” I frowned once more. I really screwed myself and John over.
Image

It was a little while and a few more games of beer pong later when John came back over. He was smiling and had a glazed over look in his eyes. “Sparrowww!” He drawled out as he plopped into the open seat next to me. I watched him in amusement as he knocked his bony knees together. He looked almost too big for the chair he was sitting in, “Hi.”

I chuckled, “Hey. I'm guessing you lost?”

His mouth dropped open in amazement, “How did you know?” Dealing with drunk people was never my favorite thing to do.

“You're drunk...?” I answered.

He smiled then leaned his head back against the edge of the chair, “So, while I was over there,” He pointed to the beer pong table, “I was thinking.” He paused as he let out a hiccup. I waited patiently, “That you should come up to Seattle with us this weekend.”

My brow creased in confusion, “What are you talking about, John?”

“We're playing this big Christmas radio show on Saturday and you're coming with us.” I shook my head. What was he even saying? “Halvo's sister was supposed to go, but some shit came up and now she's not. So now you're going. No ifs, ands, or buts.” He pointed his long, bony finger at me, “You, Sparrow Alaska L'Amour,” My heart fluttered at the fact that he remembered my whole name even while intoxicated, “are coming with us to Seattle. So have your bags packed Saturday morning.”

I looked over at Garrett, who just shrugged then leaned over to start a conversation with Kennedy who had taken over Austin's seat when he got up to talk to some girl on the other side of the yard. I guess that was his way of telling me I was on my own without actually telling me. “Whatever you say John.” I sighed.

The rest of the night consisted of my dealing with a very drunk John and then getting ditched again when he decided he would rather go play a game of cornhole. Eventually, I got fed up with sitting around playing on my phone and sneaked out the side gate to go home. I didn't even know why I bothered with it.
Image

I wasn't a huge fan of fancy dresses. I would rather glam up a casual dress with heels and jewelry and pretty makeup. I was girly but fancy wasn't my thing. But since it was for my sister's wedding, I decided it would be okay.

We were at a bridal boutique the day after the “get together,” looking for bride's maids dresses and a wedding dress. It was almost eleven and we had been shopping for a good half hour, but I had only been awake for forty-five minutes. I was pretty tired and my venti caramel mochiato wasn't doing me any good.

Clover was excitedly looking through the racks of white wedding dresses with our mom and Winter while Ryver and I looked through the dresses on the other side. My eyes were drooping and my mind slowing. The classical music overhead wasn't really helping my case. A buzz from my front pocket jolted me alert and I quickly dug out my phone.

“JohnOh: I'm sorry for ditching you for most of the night. I hope someone occupied you while I was being a bad friend :(“

I couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my lips. “Garrett talked to me for most of the night and Austin kept asked me if I wanted a free mustache ride...” I shoved the iPhone back into the front pocket of my jeans and went back to looking at the hanging dresses. Most of them were made with shiny satin material that made me cringe. Clover hadn't given us a certain color to look for, so that made things a bit more simpler.

I was pulling a black, chiffon dress off of the rack when my phone vibrated again. I slung the dress over my left arm then pulled my phone out into the open once more.

“I think I might need to have a talk with him... haha.”

I chuckled then typed back another message. “He was drunk, don't hold it against him. How's your hangover?” It was weird that a simple, small conversation with a guy (that wasn't my boyfriend) could brighten my whole mood.

“Why are you so smiley?” Ryver asked as she rounded the aisle and started looking through the dresses I had been standing in front of for the past ten minutes. “What is Landon texting you?”

I straighten up and awkwardly cleared my throat, “It's, uh, not Landon.”

She stopped looking and narrowed her eyes at me, “Who are you texting?” Just as her words left her lips, my phone buzzed loudly in my hand. Ignoring her question, I looked down at my new message.

“Bitchin'. I haven't even gotten out of bed, yet.”

I heard Ryver sigh in aggrivation. Suddenly my phone was being pulled from my hand. My eyes widened. “JohnOh?” She read in confusion. Realization crossed her features, “John as in lead-singer-John?”

I angrily snatched my phone back from her hands, “Yes, lead-singer-John.”

“What are you doing texting lead-singer-John when you're dating Landon?” Ryver was getting angry. But so was I.

“He's my friend, Ryver.” I snapped. Why was I getting the third degree? Why couldn't I text John when I had Landon?

She rolled her eyes, “Just be careful, Sparrow. He's a musician and you already have a good guy.”

My anger flared, “You don't even know John, so stay out of it.”

“Yeah, but I know Landon and he doesn't deserve to get treated like dirt!” She yelled.

My jaw went slack at her words, “I'm not treating Landon like dirt. John is my friend, okay? Nothing less. Nothing more. Why don't you stay the fuck out of my business!?”

She was about to reply, but our mother walked up to us, “Hey! What is going on here? We can hear you across the store.” She questioned in concern.

“Ryver needs to mind her own business.” I snarled, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Sparrow needs to realize that she's playing with other people's feelings other than her own.” She shot back.

My mouth fell again and my eyes narrowed at my sister. Swiftly, I put the dress I had hanging from my arm back on the rack and turned around. Clover and Winter were watching from behind me in concern. “I'm sorry, Clover, but I have to leave or else I'm going to blow a gasket.”

She nodded in understanding then pulled me in a hug, “If we find anything we'll put your size on hold.” I smiled weakly then made my way out of the shop.
Image

I drove around aimlessly. I hadn't needed to do it lately because Landon made everything better, but after the scene in the bridal boutique, I felt the need to cool off by driving. Just like old times. I wasn't thinking rationally when I pulled my phone out of my pocket and pressed call on his name.

“Hello?” His voice was scratchy and he sounded like he just woke up, but still sounded amazingly sexy.

“I need a hole, do you have one?” I asked dramatically.

He was quiet for what felt like hours but was really only seconds, “What?” He asked, “Sparrow, I'm hungover, don't make me think more than I have to.”

I couldn't help but laugh, “I need a hole to go bury myself in.” I clarified.

“Start from the beginning.”

I shook my head, “I shouldn't. I shouldn't even be talking to you about it. I should be talking to my boyfriend.” Maybe Ryver was right. I felt hot tears prick a the back of my eyes and I sniffed.

“Hey, what's wrong? What happened?”

I shook my head as I continued to drive, “Nothing, it's nothing. I'm sorry for bothering you.” I hung up and threw my phone into the cup holder. I needed to stop talking to John O'Callaghan.
Image

“What's wrong, Love?” Was the first thing out of Landon's mouth when I showed up on the front steps of his house.

Instead of saying anything, though, I just invited myself inside and smashed my lips to his. I was desperate to not feel terrible about myself and sex seemed like the only viable answer.

Landon didn't object and that made everything a little better for the time being.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy crap! Wow! I have nine stars now! And EIGHT freaking people commented the last chapter. Ho-ly crap. I love you all. Thank you for commenting and subscribing and getting me to nine stars at only eight chapters.<3
So the next one is interesting. That's all I'm going to say. >:D

Party//dress shopping

Shiny - The Decemberists