Status: Fini.<3

Green and Gray

And How the Air Was Thick

Image

“Tell me about your family.” Landon looked down at me curiously. We were lying in my bed, wrapped around my sheets. I was cuddled into his side and his arm hung loosely around my shoulders. “You know all about my crazy hippie family and I don't really know much about yours.”

He chuckled, “Well, my parents met some years ago when my father was on a business trip to England. It was love at first sight for them and he begged her to come here with him after a week of rendezvous. She agreed and they lived here in Arizona for a couple of months before she found out she was pregnant with me. Their relationship was already faltering at that point, so a few months before I was born she flew back to England and raised me on her own. I saw him every once and a while when he would be in town on business. Other than that I never knew him.

“My mother came to me about four months ago and told me that he was dying of cancer and his last wish was to get to know me. I didn't want to come out here, but the thought of never really knowing my father didn't sit well with me. And here I am.”

My thumb brushed over his cheek softly. I wouldn't lie and say I didn't feel bad for him. I couldn't even think about growing up without a father. “How is it going so far?”

He shrugged, “It's fine. I've come to find out that I'm a lot like him. It just sucks that it had to come down to him dying for me to get to know him.”

I frowned at his sadness. I hated seeing him feeling like this. “I bet if you didn't come out here you'd feel horrible when you found out he'd passed.” He nodded then squeezed me tighter into his body. “Did your mother ever remarry or have any other kids?”

“She married again when I was eight to an accountant. She had my sister, Rina, when I was nine.” He spoke softly.

I calculated her age in my head, “So she's fifteen?” He nodded, “I bet if she looks anything like you, she's gorgeous.”

He laughed, “You are so adorable.” His lips pressed into my hair then trailed down until they met mine. Soon enough he was trailing kisses down my neck and stopping at my chest.

I giggled, “What are you doing, Mister?”

He looked up and smirked at me, “I'm trying to find your spot.” He went back to his adventure while I laughed. It didn't take him long to find my “spot” which led to another round.
Image

December had arrived and I knew the boys from The Maine were home. I hadn't spoken to John since our long phone conversation the night of my second date with Landon, so I wasn't exactly stressing over the fact that he might be calling. I had Landon to occupy my thoughts and time instead. We'd been spending most of our free time together. When I wasn't working, I was with him. He treated me so unbelievably well and was so incredibly sweet. I knew I was falling for him even after only a month of dating. For sure I was a goner.

Landon was treating me to a coffee date at the Starbucks near L'Amour's. It was my lunch break and I didn't want to spend it any other way. I was cuddled into my scarf despite how warm the shop was. It always took me a while to warm up. I blamed it on thin skin.

“Are you okay, Love?” Landon asked as he handed me my venti caramel mochiato and sat in the chair across from me. I nodded as I took the paper cup from him. My fingertips grazed over his thumb and he gasped in shock, “Your hands are freezing!”

I grimaced then took a sip of the coffee, hoping to warm myself up a but more, “I'm cold.” I complained and he chuckled.

“Love, it's only 60 degrees out.” Of course him being from the UK, where it actually snowed had him already used to what I thought was cold. He was walking around in a black cardigan and a white burnout tee.

“I'm sorry that I'm from Arizona where the coldest it gets is mid-forties. I'm used to eighty plus.” He smiled and I shivered. But I wasn't sure if it was because of how cold I was or if he just had that effect on me.

“So, I'm going back to London the day after Christmas for a week and a half.” I let out a sigh of relief as he finished his sentence. “Don't sound too relieved, Love.” He smiled jokingly and I immediately felt bad.

“No, no, no! I thought you were going to say you were going home for good.” I explained quickly. “I was just glad to hear that you're going to be coming back.” I smiled adoringly at him.

He took my right hand in between his then kissed the top of it, “You're adorable.” I blushed while his accent melted my insides (again), “Do you want me to go out and get my coat for you?” He questioned and I quickly denied even though it was so sweet of him.

“Give me another minute or two and I'll be completely fine.” I smiled reassuringly at him, but he didn't seem too convinced. “Anyways,” I took a drink of my coffee, “how's your dad doing? How was the doctor's?”

He shrugged sadly and I felt myself grow completely sad for him, “He's the same – not getting better.”

I frowned, “So there's absolutely nothing they could do to save him?”

He shook his head, “They said it spread to his bones.” My mouth dropped in shock. I knew there definitely wasn't anything they could do for him now.

“I'm really sorry, Landon.”

He smiled sadly at me, “It was going to happen eventually.” I sighed sadly. “I'm going to use the men's room.” I nodded and he was gone behind me, to the hall that lead to the bathrooms.

I took another drink as I looked around the shop and swayed my foot to the KT Tunstall song playing overhead. I thought back to how happy I was and how it was mostly Landon's doing. I watched the people outside the shop walk by, moving on to where they had to be. Only a select few stepped through the door leading into the Starbucks.

“I'm going to go get you my coat, okay?” Landon said as soon as he got back from the bathroom. I opened my mouth to protest, but he cut me off, “Sparrow, you're shivering.” I hadn't realized I was shaking until he pointed it out.

I smiled sheepishly at him, “I guess I could use and extra layer.”

He chuckled then leaned down and pecked my forehead, “I'll be right back.” My eyes were on all the way to the door, where a guy held it open for him. Landon mouthed a “thanks” and was done down the street to his Mercedes.

My eyes widened, though, as the guy who held the door turned around. It was John. He was in the same room as me. My breathing hitched and my heartbeat picked up as I watched him. There was a smile on his face and he looked good. He looked better than the last time I saw him, just a bit exhausted. He was in black skinny jeans, an old raggedy looking Harley Davidson t-shirt and a black motorcycle jacket. Why did he have to be so gorgeous?

I recognized one of the two guys we was with as Jared, but had no idea who the guy with the short brown hair and big lips was. I sunk deeper into my scarf and turned my body to face the window I was next to. Next, I picked up my phone that was sitting on the table next to my Miu Miu bag. Sadly, I didn't have any messages to occupy myself with, so I was pretty shit out of luck. I hoped once they got their orders they would leave. I wasn't that lucky. Of course I had to pick the table next to the pick-up counter.

Once they put their orders in, they all walked over to wait. Out of the corner of my eye I saw John pull out his phone then start tapping away at the touch screen. “Who're you texting?” I heard Jared ask.

“None of your business.” My heart sped up at his rough voice. I had a boyfriend. A very nice, sweet, perfect boyfriend. I couldn't be thinking like this!

My phone began buzzing and beeping loudly against the wooden table. The noise echoed throughout the shop and I wanted to die. I clenched my eyes shut, but knew I had been found out.

“John: I know it's been forever since you've heard from me, but I'm at our Starbucks and thought of you. I was also wondering if you're busy tonight?”

I swallowed hard then calmed myself down. He was watching me curiously when I turned to face him. “I guess you're here, too.” He spoke directly to me once our eyes locked.

I chuckled nervously and nodded, “I guess I am.” I glanced over at the door, praying Landon wouldn't walk in, yet.

“How are you, Sparrow?” He questioned, walking closer to my table.

I forced a smile, trying to mask my nervousness, “I'm... good.” Good seemed like a safe word to use. “And yourself?” Luck really wasn't on my side at all that day. At that moment, Landon strolled in with his peacoat in hand.

“Here you go, Love.” He handed it to me with a smile and I took it gratefully.

I watched John's reaction. His eyes widened in minor shock, but returned to their normal size quickly, “Obviously not as well as you.” He answered my previous question.

“Uhm,” Awkwardly, I gestured toward Landon, “John, this is Landon, my boyfriend.” I let out an awkward cough, “Landon, this is my friend John. He just got back from tour with his band.”

Either Landon was just ignoring the tension or he was really dumb, “Hey, how's it going?” Landon stuck his hand out to which John shook and replied “Not too bad.” Their hands fell.

After an extremely awkward pause, the barista called John's name, causing him to take a few steps backwards and grab his cup. I watched as he sent Jared and the other guy a stressed look then turn back to us. “Uh, well, we gotta go.” He said, “but we're having a small get together at Max's place tonight.” Oh God, please don't invite us. “You guys should come.” Shoot me, please.

Landon was nodding energetically before I could even get a word out, “Oh, yeah. Sweet. Sure.”

John nodded once, “Well, uh, all right then. I'll text you the address, Sparrow.” I resisted the urge to slap my head against the table.

Image

“Winter, I must have horrible karma.” I complained right when I walked through the glass door that led into the boutique.

Winter was standing at one of the shelves at the far right side of the store, folding t-shirts with the help of her almost eight-month pregnant belly, “Why do you say that?” She asked as she picked up another shit.

“I was at Starbucks with Landon, and John walked in.” She stopped folding and looked at me with wide eyes, “John then decided he wanted to invite us to a party tonight at their tour manager's house and since Landon is so naïve, he told him we'd be there.” I threw my purse on the front counter with an annoyed groan, “I mean, like, what the fuck?! He couldn't let me answer or even see if I wanted to go?” I ranted.

“Do you want to go?”

I looked at her as if she were crazy, “No!” I cried and she chuckled.

“Why not? What's the problem? John just got home and you didn't really get to see him much before he left, you know, since he was in the middle of a tour.” I rolled my eyes, “Sparrow, you're with Landon, so going around guys shouldn't be a problem... unless you have feelings for John...”

My eyes widened, “What?” I exclaimed, “I don't have feelings for John!” Why would she even suggest such a thing? “I'm with Landon.”

She rolled her eyes then threw the t-shirt she was folding down on the shelf, “You've been with him for a month, it's not like you're in love with him.” I averted my eyes, “Sparrow!” She yelled, “You are not in love with that boy! He's only been your boyfriend for a month. That is not a long enough amount of time to fall in love with someone!”

I shushed her, “I know that, Winter. I'm not in love with him, but I really like him.”

She sighed as she leaned against the counter, “Just be careful, okay? And go to this party. Landon's going to be there, right?” I nodded, feeling helpless, “Then what's the big problem?” I sighed then dropped my head to rest on my folded arms, “Anyways, I'm going on maternity leave next week and I want you to run the store.”

My head snapped up and my terrified eyes met her amused ones, “What? You can't be serious.”

She smirked, “Oh, I am. You can do it, Sparrow. I trust you.” She smiled warmly at me. Winter had out mother's smile which made me feel comforted, “Plus, you'll have Alison, Ronnie, and Trisha.”

“B-b-but I can't run a store.”

She rolled her eyes at me again, “Sparrow, you'll do fine. Now go home and make yourself look hot for tonight.” I eyed her suspiciously and she smiled, “Go on!” She shoved me away from the counter and towards the door. I had no idea what that night had in store for me. I only hoped I wasn't too out of my element.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got five comments on the last chapter! FIVE! I am so happy! :D
And because five of you commented, you get a new, long chapter that has 2455 words. See what happens when you comment? ;)
So the cat's out of the bag and John knows. What's going to happen? Comment and tell me what you think will happen or what you want to happen.

I'm a polyvore whore

Shanty for the Arethusa - The Decemberists