Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

A Surprise or Two

Travelling back to Vancouver with the band was always...interesting. Being trapped with 4 boys in one small space for 12 consecutive hours was always a bit of a challenge. Most of the time, I just played solitaire on my iPhone or something. I liked having Keith up in the front with me when I had to drive, because he was the most relaxed on the trips. 3 days it took to get from Halifax to Vancouver, and every time we went on tour, we all complained that we should have started in Halifax, and ended in Vancouver. We never seemed to remember that when it came time to planning the tour.

I felt a rush of relief when we pulled up in front of my house. As much as I loved touring, I loved being at home a lot more. The guys helped me bring everything downstairs (we could get into the basement from the garage). I said goodbye to them all and walked up to my front door, and knocked on it. I saw Zack give me a strange look before he went into his house. I waited for a minute before the door opened, revealing a very tired and worn out looking Josh. It took him a few seconds to register that it was actually me standing in front of him (I had gotten a haircut before we had left, and it was a drastic change). He dropped whatever he was holding and flung his arms around me, pinning my arms to my sides.

“Oh, thank God you're home!” Josh said.

“Josh, you're crushing me,” I said.

“I don't care!” Josh exclaimed.

“But I do!” I whined at him. Josh held me out at arms length before bringing me into another hug, allowing me to wrap my arms around him this time.

“You honestly have no clue how glad I am you're home.” Josh said.

“I'm pretty sure I have a vague idea. I mean, it's not like I got hourly texts saying that you wished I was home for the past 2 month or anything.” I said. Josh held me at arms length again with one eyebrow raised. He laughed slightly and allowed me inside. I wasn't even inside for 20 seconds before my screaming toddler ran at me and threw his arms around my knees.

“Mom!” he squealed at me. I honestly forgot how loud he could be. I leaned over and picked him up. Finley looked around curiously. “No baby?” I turned my head and looked at Josh, who had a sheepish look on his face.

“You told him?” I placed one of my hands on my hips.

“Well, he overheard Matt and I talking about it...do you know how hard it is to lie to a pouting five-year old?” I shook my head at him,sighing.

“I wanted to tell him!” I pouted. Josh smiled slightly at me.

“Well, I'm sorry!” Josh said. Finley tugged on the collar of my jacket.

“No baby?” Finley repeated.

“No, not yet.” I said.

“When?”

“In about...5 months?” I said.

“I can't wait that long!” Finley exclaimed, causing me to laugh.

“You're going to have to, you silly goose.” I said, kissing Finley's forehead.

A few weeks had gone by since I had gotten home, and it had been hectic. Josh and I were constantly looking at listings for houses, and I had been going to doctors appointment after doctors appointment. Zack had agreed to look after Finley when I had to go to my ultrasound. I was so thankful I had an abundance of friends that didn't really do much with their lives. Josh came with me, and as soon as we got into the clinic, Josh was a little on edge. I looked at him once we had sat down, taking his hand.

“Josh, the scary lesbian couple isn't here,” I said. Josh looked at me strangely, and then turned his head away from me. “What is it?” I asked.

“I'm just...I really want this to work this time.” Josh said. I squeezed his hand lightly, leaning my head on his shoulder. It was really disheartening to see Josh so nervous about something, especially something like a baby. His hand clammed up when the nurse called my name, and I could tell he was shaking. I gave Josh a reassuring smile and we both walked into the little room with all the machines. The nurse introduced herself as Cynthia, as I peeled off my coat.

“So, is this your first?” Cynthia asked.

“Second.” I smiled, hopping up on the little bed.

“Oh, well congratulations.” Cynthia smiled. “How old is your first?”

“He just turned 5 in December.” I explained.

“That's a little bit of a gap there,” Cynthia said, while turning on certain machines. Josh looked around, obviously distracted at the moment.

“We've been trying for years. My dad said Josh finally found the right hole again,” I smirked and Cynthia laughed. Josh looked at me with wide eyes and an embarrassed expression. I reached for his hand. “Oh, I'm kidding!” Josh relaxed slightly, but not much. I had the cold gel smeared on my stomach. That was probably the one thing I hated most about being pregnant, aside from the constant vomiting. There was a heartbeat, but something seemed a little bit off to me.

“Well...this is interesting.” Cynthia said. I felt my heartbeat quicken. Joshes hand tightened around mine.

“What? What is it?” Josh asked. Cynthia stared at the screen for some time before answering us.

“Are you aware that you're going to be having twins?” Cynthia looked at us. I just stared at her.

“I'm sorry, what?” I said Cynthia nodded and turned the screen to us.

“Well, you see, there's a head,” Cynthia pointed to the screen, “And this also appears to be a head. It's either twins, or mythological creature.” I looked at Josh, who had the same expression I did. “Would you like to know the genders?” Cynthia asked after quite a few minutes of silence. Both Josh and I looked at her. All I could do was nod. “This one...is a boy,” she pointed at the screen again. “And this one...is a girl.” Josh let go of my hand out of pure shock. Cynthia had left us alone for a few minutes while she went and sorted out some paperwork. I sat upright on the bed and looked at Josh.

“What...what are we going to do Josline? We can barely handle Finley as is,” Josh said. I scratched the back of my head.

“Well, there is an upside to this,” I said.

“What could it possibly be?”

“You're finally getting your little girl,” I smiled. Josh smiled back at me.

Josh and I left the clinic, still in complete shock. I had the ultrasound pictures in one hand, and my cellphone in the other. I called my parents and told them the news first (which was what Josh did as well). Both my mom and dad were in utter shock,but excited just the same. I wound up calling Zack after I finished calling my parents. Josh and I had to go pick up some groceries before going home.

“Hello?” Zack greeted. I could hear Finley chattering away in the background.

“I fucking hate you.” I told him.

“What did I do now?” Zack asked me, sounding like it was a daily occurrence that I said I hated him.

“I'm having twins.” I said. Zack was silent.

“You're...you're kidding me,” I cold tell Zack was trying to hold back a laugh. “That is honestly the best news I've heard all day.”

“Yeah, well Josh nearly had a heart attack when the nurse told us,” I said, browsing through an aisle of cans.

“But...I thought twins skipped a generation?” Zack asked me.

“Not according to my body, it doesn't.” I replied. “My body likes to fuck with the system.”

Zack chuckled, “Do you know what they are?”

“A boy and a girl.” I said. Josh walked up to me, holding a box in his hands and showed it to me. I looked at the box, and then at him. I shook my head, and Josh walked away with his head bowed and a pout on his face.

“I'm getting a niece?!”

“You already have 4 of them!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, but none of them are Jaulby's.” Zack said. “Jaulby kids seem to be the most adorable kids on the planet.”

“That is true. I mean, I am pretty damn adorable.” I said. I swear I could actually hear Zack roll his eyes at me.

“I didn't mean you! I meant your son.” Zack said.

“Oh, fine. Be that way then.” I said to Zack.

“I didn't mean it like that! Oh, never mind! It's useless with you!” Zack frustratedly said. I laughed and told him I'd see him in a few minutes.

The next few months were definitely going to be hectic.
♠ ♠ ♠
This ones a little bit of a twofer, seeing as I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks.