Status: On Hiatus - Not sure when I'll be updating again...

Something Ends, Another Begins

Chapter Five

I've been waiting for twenty minutes now. The halls are practically empty and silent by now and here I am standing alone in an empty hallway waiting to apologize to a jerk. It would make this situation a whole lot simpler if the jerk had actually shown up. I know it's ridiculous to wait for twenty minutes since it's obvious now he won't show.

I officially gave up and plodded my way out of the hallway. While I was walking out to the parking lot, I did the stupid thing and actually looked for his car which (no surprise) was not there. Well, at least I tried. However, I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. The one time I wanted to truly apologize to him and he doesn't show up.

Cameron's P.O.V.

I was sitting at my computer desk trying to focus on my Trig homework but my mind kept drifting off to Ali and how I ditched her. I know I'm an asshole for doing that, so you don't have to tell me, but I do feel really guilty. Hopefully, she didn't wait too long or else that would make me feel even worse.

When I read her text, the first thought that came to mind was that she was just going to yell at me some more, even if I did apologize to her. Now that I didn't meet up with her and I'm sitting here looking pathetic, I know now that if I would've met up with her and she did yell at me, I would be feeling less like shit.

There's something in my head that keeps telling me to drive over to her house right now and just talk to her but I don't know what's stopping me.

"Okay, Cam, I'm heading off to work," Liz announced as she appeared at my door.

I just nodded in response and tried to go back to my homework. She didn't leave, though.

"Are you okay?" Liz asked, walking in my room.

"Yeah." I tried sounding casual but it came out as a sad sigh. Damn.

"Uh oh. I know that voice." She sat down at the edge of my bed, facing me. Didn't she say she had to go to work?

"What voice? I told you, I'm okay."

Liz rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Don't even try lying. Tell me about it."

I groaned. "There's nothing to tell. Just move on and go to work."

"Cam, stop being such a guy and tell your aunt what's bothering you."

I intended to just stay quiet and not say anything until she left, but she kept staring at me. "It's Ali," I mumbled. Dammit, why couldn't I have lied and said it was something else?

"What happened? I thought you two were friends." That almost made me laugh.

I sighed again and faced Liz. "We had this stupid fight yesterday. We said some stupid things, especially me. But, Liz, I really don't want to talk about it."

The only thing that Liz did after that was let out a breath. "Okay, we don't have to talk about it. But I will tell you that if you had a fight with her and said stupid stuff and it bothers you this much, you should just try talking to her. Try to fix it. Who knows, she might want to fix it, too."

I hate when she's right. Especially since she doesn't know Ali wanted to talk to me first but I bailed. "Fine," I told her.

"Just don't wait too late to fix it," she added before quickly leaving the room.

I guess I will have to drive over to her house and talk to her. Great.

Ali's P.O.V.

When I heard the doorbell ring, I quickly put down the bag of chips I was eating and paused the TV before rushing to the door. Without thinking (stupid move), I opened the door and saw Cameron looking back at me. I just stood there awkwardly, hoping I wouldn't have to talk first. He is the one that came over to my house.

After what seemed like forever, he smirked and said, "Nice look." I was wearing blue sweat pants with a white tank top, my hair was in a messy bun, and I had no makeup on. Was he serious? I ask him to meet me so we can talk, he bails, then he comes over to my house unexpectedly, and the first thing he does is make fun of my pajamas.

I rolled my eyes and attempted to shut the door, but his hand stopped it. "No, Ali, wait. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that." He stuttered. I was still practically struggling to close the door while he just stood there with a blank expression, looking at me struggle out of frustration, and effortlessly held the door open.

I groaned loudly and turned to face him, crossing my arms over my chest. I probably looked like a little kid.

"You done?" He asked. I just shrugged. "Can I come in?" he asked looking inside my house.

I knew he would let himself in, even if I did tell him no (which I wanted to do), so I shrugged again. He slowly stepped in and closed the door behind him.

"I just, uh, came over here to talk." I'm starting to get the feeling more and more that he did not check his phone at all today.

"Really? Talk? The same thing that I wanted to do after school today but you thought it would be a better idea to leave me waiting, feeling stupid and embarrassed?"

He ran a hand through his hair as he sighed and looked down. "I'm really, really sorry about that. I wanted to meet you but---"

"But what? Some tall pretty girl gave you an offer you just couldn't refuse?"

"Will you just listen, please?" This is the first time that I've ever seen him angry. It's also the first time he's told me the word "please".

I sighed and looked at him, waiting for him to continue. He let out a breath and he looked calm again. "I did get your text and I was going to meet you but then I started thinking that you just wanted to yell at me some more and I'm really not in the mood for that. I also didn't know what I was going to say to you, either. But, once I got home, the thought of you just standing there alone waiting made me feel extremely guilty."

This time I really did have nothing to say. He didn't look or sound like he was lying.

"But, now that I'm here," he continued, "I want to say that I'm sorry. Not just for what I've said to you the other day but for everything I've said and done to you for the past five years. You never deserved any of it." He paused for several moments. "There's not really much else I wanted to say."

I felt my eyes go wide and my mouth open a little in shock. I actually considered for a brief second that this wasn't the real Cameron Reeves. Either that or this is just some big joke. Any other guy would not apologize like this and the fact that Cameron Reeves just did made me a little light headed.

"Are you going to say anything?"

I wanted to ask him if this was some sick joke he was playing on me. But what came out instead was, "I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have accused you of not missing Josh. I was just being selfish and I expected everyone else to deal with it the way I was...which wasn't dealing with it at all. You have to understand, though, I'm not completely over it yet. I don't think I ever will be."

He nodded in response. "I know. I don't think I'll ever get over it, either."

After a while, I felt my eyes starting to water. Crap, I don't want to cry in front of him again. I quickly looked down and tried casually wiping my eyes.

But, apparently, that didn't go so well because he slowly stepped closer to me and asked, "Why are you crying?"

Damn, he noticed. I tried coming up with a lie, but I figured out nothing would be a good cover. "It's just...talking about him doesn't help with dealing the fact he's gone forever. It...it really hurts." Tears were falling freely from my eyes now.

I felt my body being pulled into his before his right hand held my head against his chest and his left arm wrapped around my waist, holding me. "I know," he whispered, his lips moving against my hair while he tucked my head under his chin. It was like when we were at the funeral when he just held and comforted me. This definitely was not the same guy I've known since eighth grade, but I do like this guy a lot better.

"Thank you, Cameron." I said quietly, calming down.

"For what?"

"For being there for me and being the only one who understands what I'm going through."

I knew he started to smile. "You're welcome," he replied, gently rubbing my back.

Several seconds later, I felt myself being pulled away a little bit. He looked at me and said, "So, are we good now?"

"Are you talking about the fight or the past five years?"

He smiled slowly. "Both."

I pretended to think about it. "Yeah, we're okay. I was getting really tired of all the teasing. Truce." I held out my hand.

He laughed and shook my hand. "Truce," he replied.

After he unwrapped his arm from my waist, I don't think either knew what to say next. "Um," he said, "Did you have any plans tonight?"

"No, not really. Just watching TV and eating chips."

"Oh, because, if you want too, I thought we could go get something to eat or something. Just to get our minds off of...you know. That's if you want too, though."

I gave him a look and his eyes widened a little. "Oh, no, it wouldn't be a date or anything," he said quickly, "I just thought you'd want to have some fun." Then he said, "No! Not that kind of fun, just---"

"Cameron," I started laughing and he stopped talking. "Wait down here while I go get dressed."

What harm could it do?