Status: On hiatus - don't know if it'll ever be finished tbh

Fat

Thursday January 25

Mother was asking me all these questions today. About the boy I ran into yesterday at the shopping centre. I thought I had managed to get away with the dazed expression and the non-committal answers to her questions yesterday, but obviously not. As soon as I came downstairs this morning to eat the pancakes that I would throw up later Mother began questioning me.

“Who was that boy yesterday?” Only one of the most gorgeous creatures on the planet.

“Did you know him?” I wish.

“Why were you staring at him?” Because he’s incredibly, insanely beautiful.

“Is there something you need to tell me, Caleb? You know that I’ll love you no matter what...”

I knew what she was heading at there. There is no way I am going to tell her that. She will tell Father, and Father will not love me no matter what. I came to realise when I was figuring out my sexuality that Father is not tolerant of gay people. One time we went out to dinner to celebrate a promotion for his job and there were two boys at the restaurant who were obviously on a date.
When he saw them kiss, he began whispering furiously in Mother’s ear. I could only hear a few words:

“Disgusting”

“Filthy”

“...sent straight to Hell”

“Despicable”


Those words made me decide not to tell my parents. I was going to tell them that night, during dinner. I’ve kept it secret from them for nearly 2 years now. I think the only way I’ll tell them is if I’m not living at home anymore. Once I’m self-sufficient, I’ll tell Mother. But I denied everything she asked me today. I hope she believed me.