Status: updates every week

The Unseen

Prologue

She sipped her coffee with care as we sat at the towns most popular coffee shop, the Eagle's Nest. The silence was starting to wane on me because I could feel that she was holding back a secret by the way she stared off into the distance.

I've always been able to read Raven like a book, in fact all the people of Erieo are mostly predictable for they all seem to be on the same routine, but today something seemed a little off in Ravens attitude. Her sudden outbursts on the topic of death was rather strange as well as how tense she appeared.

Her soft voice slipped through my endless thoughts as she asked, "Whats bothering you?" Her dark, far away green eyes lightened into curiosity, but something in her tone sounded different, strained even, like she knew I was worried about her.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," I answered with caution, averting my eyes. "Can you pass the sugar?" I asked giving her the chance to change the topic.

The past few days Raven had seemed stressed about something that I haven't been able to place my finger on. She has always been the one to say something first, and I'm not the one to usually act. However, this time curiosity got the best of me. I felt the need to ask her if everything was alright, but when I did she didn't hear me for she was in her own little world.

"Kurtis, I'm scared," she suddenly replied, and when I didn't ask why she went on to ask, "do you believe in life after death?"
I gave her a quirky smile and said, "Dude, once your dead your dead. There is no living after."

She was silent for a moment, and then a look of disappointment flooded her face. Then she looked into my eyes and asked, "What if I have proof?"