Status: Completed at a 4-star rank!

All Those Things I Still Remember

Lying On The Cold Floor

Image

I smiled at Melody who was playing with her Barbie doll. The line rang and rang, but I kept getting sent to the answering machine. That was unusual to happen when I called him. I got worried and closed my phone.

“Mel, go get some shoes on, sugar. We’re going to go see Jimmy, ”I said quietly. She nodded and left, coming back a couple of minutes later with her shoes on. I put her in the car and drove quickly to his house. I saw the car in the driveway and this increased my worry. I pulled into the driveway and unbuckled. Melody hopped out of the car and followed me. I knocked on the door, but no one answered. I turned the knob, and it opened. “He never leaves his door open…”I walked inside, and a shudder went up my spine.

“I’m going to go look for him, ”Melody said quietly. I nodded and decided to check the living room. I was just about to open a door when I heard Mel scream. I ran towards her voice. She was in the kitchen, crying as she knelt over something. I walked around the counter and felt terror overcome me.

“Oh my god, ”I breathed. I grabbed my phone and called 911.

“911, what’s your emergency?”

“My friend… He’s not breathing… Please send help… I don’t think he’s conscious…”I choked. The woman on the other end kept trying to ask me questions but the phone fell as I collapsed and I couldn’t pick it up. “Mel, back up…”She did so with a terror.

“Mommy, is he okay?” She whimpered and I just shook my head. I crawled over to him and tried to check for a pulse, a twitch, anything. But he didn’t move. I felt the tears pour from my eyes and Mel just remained silent. I ran my hand through his hair, willing him to wake up. Minutes later, there were ambulances and police cars. I couldn’t feel anything. I just stared at his lifeless body. A woman came over to me.

“Ma’am, I don’t know how to say this… He’s… He’s gone, ”she said quietly. I felt my heart shatter. I fell to the ground and Melody wrapped her tiny arms around me.

“What’s wrong, Mama?” She asked in a small voice. I just held onto her, unable to explain at the moment. I grabbed my phone and dialed Patrick’s number.

“Hello?”

“Patrick, ”I cried in a quiet voice.

“Ash? What’s wrong?”

“Jimmy… He… Mel found him… He’s gone…”I sobbed.

“Oh my god, where are you?” He asked quickly.

“At his house, ”I replied quietly.

“I’ll be right there.” I closed my phone and Melody looked up as they zipped the body bag.

“Excuse me, ”she said softly. The EMT looked down at her. “You can’t zip it up completely. He won’t be able to breathe.” A tear fell from the man’s face. I walked over and picked her up.

“Sweetie, ”I cried. “He’s gone.”

“What do you mean, Mama? He’s right there, ”she said disbelievingly.

“No, sweetheart. He died, ”I choked. The look on her face absolutely crushed me. She stared down at the bag in horror and she buried her face in my neck. Patrick ran in and put his arms around me as he slowly took in what was happening.

“Hey, ”he said softly. I just cried, holding onto Melody. He rubbed my back and led me out of the house. I watched the scene from the car as he put Mel into the backseat.. I saw the lights and the people running around. I saw the stretcher. I closed my eyes to shut out the images, but all I saw was his cold body lying on the cold floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lovely banner by Party Ghoul.
Thank you, I love it.

I told you that you wouldn't like it...
I'm still crying...
I remember the day that this happened.
I lost my ever-loving mind....
Comment and stuff?

xo
Jaz