Thinkin' Bout Something

005

I was never one for flying, I had offered to just drive Micha, Ellis, and myself to Georgia, but the tickets were already purchased. I felt bad enough that they decided to pay for me to go, so I couldn’t chicken out of going. It was Zac’s idea. There were three suitcases lined up by the oak doorframe as I propped my feet up on the coffee table.

“Ave, we have to be out the door in fifteen minutes to make it to the airport.” Micha announced.

“Do you think if I just send you two to the airport with seventy five dollars you could tell them I’m sick?”

“Get off your ass, and get in the car.” Ellis said pulling me off the couch.

“Small pox, rubella, chicken pox, period. I don’t know.. Anything to get me out of this.”

“You do not have small pox.” Ellis laughed.

“But rubella and chicken pox are plausible.”

“You had chicken pox when you were five.”

“Creep.” I laughed slightly. “You can get chicken pox again though, that’s a scientific fact.”

“Just get in the car and drive all three of us to the airport.”

“I don’t think I can do this.”

“Of course you can. Now, put the car in drive and please, please, please drive us to the airport.” Ellis practically begged after she clicked her seatbelt.

I put the car in park and slipped my sunglasses on. Unusual for me, they always gave me an instant headache, but it was a ploy to be left alone the whole flight. I grabbed my suitcase out of the trunk and waited for Micha and Ellis to get theirs. Once they shut the trunk back up I hit the lock button twice waiting for the beep signifying the car was locked and secured.

“Why are you wearing your sunglasses?” Micha asked.

“Its bright.”

“They give you a headache.”

“I know.” I shuffled quickly across the blacktop to the entrance of the airport. Directly inside the entrance the whole Hanson family stood.

“I thought you would chicken out.” Taylor said softly as he came up beside me handing me my boarding pass.

“The plane didn’t take off yet. I have seventy five dollars in my pocket I can easily slip into your dad’s hand and be on my way.”

“I can still run too.”

“Neither of us are going to run.” I spoke sharper than I meant to. I touched his arm lightly and flinched myself when he turned away.

We made our way to check in and the baggage claim was packed with Hanson belongings. I clutched onto my boarding pass and chewed my bottom lip. Micha was sitting next to Zac sharing head phones with him and playing something on her gameboy. Ellis was flipping through a book next to Ike while he was gazing absentmindedly at the TV playing in the far corner of the waiting area. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson were sitting adjacent to them while the other Hanson kids entertained themselves with music or chit chat. I sat across from Ellis pulling my feet up onto the chair with me. I grabbed a book from my carry on bag and began to open the cover.

“Can we sit next to you?” Natalie’s voice buzzed from beside me.

“Of course.” I said not really looking up from my book.

“Have you ever been out of Oklahoma?” She asked.

“I was born in California. I live in Hawaii, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. I used to travel a lot with my family. I have only six states on my list of places left to visit.”

“So you’ve been to Georgia?”

“Yeah when I was ten. We went to Atlanta and Fort Benning for my uncle’s wedding.”

“Cool. So, you like it there?”

“It’s the same as anywhere else really. People, places, things. I guess I really don’t have a preference as to where I go, as long as I like the company.”

“That’s pretty admirable.” She said looking at the cover of the book. “The Lord of the Flies. Never heard of it.”

“Its about a bunch of little boys that were in a plane crash.” I let a smile play on my face.

“Oh.”

“Avelynne, didn’t you read that one already?” Taylor asked diverting me from where I really wanted to go with the story.

“A few times.” I shrugged. “So, Nat, do you guys have names picked out yet?”

“Well,” She stammered.

“We don’t really have anything picked out Ave, it was all kind of sudden.” Taylor joined in.

At this point I was starting to feel kind of sorry for the two of them. I was being out of line and it was rude of me. “I’m sorry.” I said before standing up. “Please excuse me.” I grabbed my small bag and headed off towards the bathrooms.

Once inside the fluorescent lit bathroom I let the cold water flow for a few seconds before running a paper towel underneath it. Patting the wet towel around my cheeks and my eyes I was feeling a little better. The door squeaked open and Diana made her way in and stood beside me.

“You okay Avelynne?” She asked placing her hand on my shoulder.

“I’m fine. Just not feeling very well.”

“Afraid of flying?”

“A little.” I lied. Everything was so complicated.

“Is that all?”

“Not really.”

“Taylor?”

“Mrs. Hanson, I would rather not discuss it. Please.”

“He doesn’t know how to feel either. He loved you, and he still does, but he is doing what he says is right.”

“I don’t blame him.” I let a few tears fall before quickly wiping them away. “I told him to forget about me and him and to marry Nat.”

“You did?”

“Yes ma’am.” I nodded softly.

“I’m proud of you, it shows you really do love him.”

“I don’t want to love him like I do anymore.”

“You two are made for each other Ave. Deep down inside your souls mesh, like puzzle pieces.” She cleared her throat. “The hardest thing either of you will have to do is love someone else.” She laughed a little. “They say nothing is impossible, but there is one thing, and that is stopping love.”

There was another quick squeak of the door and Ellis made her way in as well. “They called the flight.” She said.

“Thank you Elli.” I said before wiping my face with the cool wet towel again. “and thank you Mrs. Hanson.” I smiled softly.

“I’ve always been rooting for you.” She gave my shoulder a quick squeeze before leaving herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments??concerns??rants??raves?? give it to me baby!