Ransom

Change Of Plans

Matt sat on the couch, remote in hand. He could hear Valary in the kitchen, scrubbing endlessly at their already clean granite. They weren't talking much anymore. It was almost like being home alone. He flipped lazily through the channels on the tv, growing more and more frustrated with every minute that went by. He was waiting on Synyster to call him and give him the news on the money. He just wanted the cash so he could let Nicole and Liam live their lives again. Granted, they would most likely move away, but that only gave him a better sense of comfort.

A sly smile met Matt's lips as his left pocket began to vibrate over and over again. Valary walked into the living room from behind and asked him politely what he would like for diner. Matt angrily waved her off as he pressed the phone to his ear. Val placed a hand on her hip as he began conversing with someone on the other end. He stood from the couch and made his way to the sliding glass doors that led to their back yard. He seemed to have gotten angry, which only forced Valary to become concerned. If it had anything to do with Ashlee or Nicole, she needed to know.

Matt leaned forward on the railing of the deck and growled lowly into the phone, "The fuck do you mean change of plans?"

You heard it right. Here I stand, one hundred thousand dollars in my hands. Oh, the wonders of what I could do with it.

"You son of a bitch. I said sixty thousand dollars. Sixty thousand and I wipe your criminal records clean."Matt spat.

What do you expect? You're working with four individuals who want their fair share. Now what do you say, Mattie?

"I say,"Matt continued to argue with Synyster over the phone.

He didn't understand how these men could do this to him. He offered to create a clean slate for these men - a new life they didn't have to worry about, so long as they got him his money. All Matt wanted to do was clear his endless amount of bills and not have to worry about being foreclosed on. He wanted his marriage to work out and live the happy life. The life that Liam and Nicole had going for them. Valary slowly creeped out of the sliding glass doors and listened in on Matt's conversation. She was incredibly curious, but the more she listened, the more terrified she got.

"I don't give two shits about what you think, Syn."Matt argued."I want my fucking money and I want it now. I could give you guys up so easily, do you know that? I could land your asses in jail right now and not have to worry about a damn thing! Do you want that?!"

Oh, how scary you are when you yell.

As Synyster's chuckles filled Matt's ears he tightened his grip on the wooden railing.

"I swear to God I will go down there right now and pop every one of you fucking idiots in the head. I'll take the money and run if that's what it takes."Matt could feel the burning of eyes on his back and turned, finding Valary at the door.

Her eyes grew wide, like a deer in the headlights of a car. Her grip on the handle of the door had grown so tight that her knuckles had gone white. Matt swallowed hard before going back onto the phone.

"Let me call you back."He said."Don't you dare do anything stupid."

Matt flipped his phone shut and looked Valary carefully in the eyes. He stepped forward slowly, raising his hands in defense.

"Val,"He licked over his lips, debating on how he should come about the situation."you okay?"

"Wh - who was that?"She eventually released the handle to the door and eyed Matt down with watery eyes.

"One of the guys from the station. You look like you've seen a ghost."He chuckled nervously."You okay?"

"No. No, that wasn't anyone from work, Matt."She shook her head, allowing her tears to free fall."That was them. That was them!"

"No, Val! You don't know what you're talking about!"Valary reached to shut the glass doors, but Matt was quick to take a tight hold on the handle.

Valary ran from the door, crying loudly as Matt stampeded behind her.

"Stay away from me!"She cried.

"Val,"Matt ducked as she took hold of a lamp and tossed it in his direction."Val, wait!"

She ran around their sofa and looked Matt in the eyes. She pointed an accusing finger in his direction and tried to stay strong.

"You work for them."She whimpered."Or they work for you. Why would you do that?!"

"Valary, please, it's not what you think."He said.

"That's our god daughter!"She screamed."Our god daughter!"

Valary leaned toward her left, but Matt was quick to follow. She tried again on her right, but every move she made, Matt was miliseconds behind her.

"You stay away from me."She growled."You stay away!"

"Val, baby, you're being ridiculous. Come over here and let's talk this over."Matt smiled warmly.

"Not a chance!"Valary took hold of a glass plate Matt had on the table and threw it, finding salvation as he ducked away.

Valary only had a split chance, however, because Matt jumped over their comfortable sofa and tackled Valary into their floor. She screamed in fear, but it only caused Matt to cup a hand under and over her mouth. Quietly, he whispered, "Val, calm down. It's okay. This is okay. Everything will be okay."

Valary shook and shivered under his touch, trying her best to scathe away from the man she thought she knew. Matt used to be her knight in shining armor - now he was a monster with a blood lust for money. Matt tightened his grip around her left arm and began to growing increasingly angry.

"Stop fucking moving, Valary!"He demanded."I'm going to get up and bring you with me. Just do this easy and I'll explain everything that's going on."

Hesitantly, Matt got to his feet, pulling his fiance up with him. He turned her lightly in his grasp and once he knew she was held tightly in place, he let a sly smirk crawl across his lips.

"Valary, baby,"He purred.

"Who are you?"She whimpered."This is crazy! Matt, please, call it off. Everything. We can figure things out! We can -"

Matt roughly shoved Valary into the wall, forcing her blonde head to bounce back off of the sheet rock. She whimpered in pain, but kept a steady eye on Matt. He had always been so kind and gentle to her, but as of the past fear years he slowly grown into an angry, violent man. Their arguements never held anything less than a shoving match, which was scaring Valary. Now knowing what he was capable of doing to their god daughter, she was afraid to stomach what he could do to her. Matt released a hand from her upper arm and brushed back the hair from her eyes.

He gave her a warm, comforting smile before stating, "It'll be over soon, sweetheart. It's nothing I can't take care of. You think people are going to figure out I was behind this whole thing?"

Valary fixed her gaze to the floor for a moment, but when Matt shook her violently, expecting a response, she shook her head.

"No one is going to find out, right?"He growled."Not a soul?"

"N - Not a soul."She breathed."I swear."

"Good. Because once this is all said and done we can move away, find a new home and not have to worry about the bills or mortgage. Val, I swear to you you will enjoy our life together better after this is over with."Matt persuaded."Now, I'm going to go to the house to sort some things out,"

Matt let go of Valary and dug his hand into the side of his belt, retrieving his glock from the side. Valary swallowed hard and waited for him to press the gun to her temple. She waited for him to force her to say her last goodbyes. Matt slid the magazine into his hand and smiled when he saw a full clip of bullets. He slammed it back into the butt of the gun before looking back at Valary.

"and I want you to come with me. I don't know for certain yet if you'll panic and talk to my lovely comrades outside."Valary shook as he lightly took hold of her forearm."I'm not going to hurt you, Val. You should know that by now."

Matt pulled gently on her arm, forcing her to follow after him to the front door. Matt was slowly losing control and he knew that one more mistake could cost him his freedom. His grip tightened at his thoughts, forcing a whimper of fear and pain to escape Valary's lips. He didn't loosen up, because by the time he realized, he was already opening the passenger door for her. He helped her in and gave her another smile before walking to the driver's side. If he couldn't knock some sense into these men he hired, then maybe his gun will.