‹ Prequel: Our Song
Status: Update on this story March 30, 2013.

Second Chance

Not good enough

Brian’s POV

We walk into the crowded club, the music blasting so loud that I can barely hear myself think. When we get inside, my eyes immediately start searching for someone. It’s almost impossible with the amount of people here. “Come on, Hun” Michelle says, tugging at my hand as we start walking towards the bar, following everyone else while they're opening their way to get there. Somehow I manage to slip my hand away from hers & start roaming around the club, looking for her. After all, that's what I'm here to do. I'm here to win her back. It's not much about winning her back, but make her realize that she thinks she's in love with this John guy, when she's really in love with me. I was so caught up in my train of thoughts that I didn’t notice the petite blonde walking straight to me, & bumping me. I quickly reach out to grab her, since she was stumbling back from the impact.

“I’m so sorry” She mutters & I smile at her, noticing that her face seems familiar. It’s Annabelle’s friend. “I wasn’t watching where I was going. Thank God I had no drink or I would’ve ruined your shirt” She starts rambling before I decide to cut her. She’s getting me dizzy. & I think she needs to breathe.

“It’s ok. No harm done” I say & it’s then that she turns to look at me. Her mouth hangs open in shock.

“You’re Annabelle’s husband” She says & I laugh. “I mean… fake husband” She says laughing too. I nod my head yes. I honestly didn’t remember that. & it makes my heart cringe a bit because those where happy moments I had with Belle. & I'm not that sure that I'm gonna have those innocent, happy times with her now. I know we won't if she gets married. “What are you doing here? Oh my God, that’s such a stupid question. You’re here for Anna” She says, not giving me a chance to respond. “Oh, I’m sorry. I’m rambling again. I tend to talk a lot… in case you haven’t noticed” She says, with a shy smile. “I’m Pauline, in case you don’t remember” She says with a smile. I was about to say my name, but once again, she didn’t let me. “You’re Brian. I know. I have really good memory. So… I guess you’re looking for Annabelle. Brought your fake son too?” She says, making me laugh.

"No. I left him home" I say to her, playing along a bit. She laughs, rolling her eyes playfully.

"I think I saw her on the dance floor a couple of minutes ago” She says, both of us gazing the dance floor. I see all the sweaty bodies grinding against each other to the poppy music playing. “Oh, there she is” Pauline says, pointing to a couple that was dancing really close to each other... too close for my liking. They looked like they were practically glued together. It was Annabelle & John. I see her smiling, & throwing her head back laughing at something John said into her ear, giving him the perfect opportunity for him to place a kiss on her neck. His hands are resting on her hips & her arms are wrapped around his neck. I started feeling all the jealousy & anger boil inside of me. How dare this little fuck touch her like this? “Those 2 are inseparables. Ever since they met, we can't keep them apart. & they don’t care about PDA either. But it's good since they’re so cute, don’t you think?” Pauline says next to me, making me turn to look at her, giving her a fake barely-there smile. “Well, it was nice bumping into you, Brian. We should do it more often, but right now, I have a husband to find” She says, smiling at me before excusing herself & walking away. I turn to stare at Annabelle again. Only this time, they were slow dancing, the only fucking couple slow dancing to the shitty techno music, & kissing each other, like the only air available are in each others lungs. Getting her back is not gonna be easy. She might really be in love with this kid.

Annabelle’s POV

“I’m gonna go get us something to drink” John yells in my ear. "I'll see you at the table" He finishes & I groan. I don’t want to let go of him. I like dancing with him. I like just being close to him. Especially now. I’ve been clinging more to him since I met Brian & the guys a couple of days ago. To say I've been laying low is an understatement. I've been staying at John's place, just in case they try to go to my apartment. I don't even know if they know where I live, but I don't want to find out. Besides, I like spending time with John. I feel that if I spend time away from him, I might start lose myself… lose myself to Brian. & I don’t want that. That’s the last thing I need. The last thing that I need is for Brian to come fuck with my head. John pecks my lips, but I immediately pull him down with my hands on his neck to deepen the kiss. He responds for a few seconds, his hold on my hips tightening before pulling back, giving me that heart stopping smirk. The smirk that made fall in love with him. The smirk that makes me weak on the knees. He kisses the tip of my nose, running his hand through my back before disappearing. I watch him wiggle his way out of the dance floor, towards the bar. I sigh before turning to head to our table located in a corner. But just as I turn, I bump into a broad firm chest. Immediately I inhale very familiar cologne… a cologne that used to drive me crazy. I look up, to meet a pair of brown eyes… Brian’s brown eyes. I roll my eyes, annoyed, because as much as I try to avoid him, he always finds a way to not let me. I try to move away, just for him to tighten his grip at my hips.

“What the fuck are you doing here, Brian?” I ask him, not fighting to get away. I know it’s useless anyways. I know how he is... he's never gonna let me go.

“Where are you manners, Belle? No greeting?” He says with that playful smirk that used to drive me crazy. Right now, it just pisses me off. I look at him, letting him know that I’m not amused with his presence & closeness. “John invited us” He says, after a while. I furrow my brows in confusion.

“Oh, really?” I ask, in disbelief. He nods his head yes.

“Apparently while you & I were 'reminiscing' on our wonderful time together that day in the restaurant, he asked the guys to come & support you on this special day. I can’t help but feel a little resentful for you not inviting us on the anniversary for the magazine. I thought we were your friends” He says, me still not noticing that we started swaying back & forth, dancing.

“Because I didn’t want you here” I say. Suddenly, I’m pushed forward from somebody thinking he's in an Usher video or something, making me pressed to Brian, my arms wrapping around his waist to keep me balanced. He shots the guy an evil glare, before smirking down to me.

“You look really pretty tonight” He says, for my ears only. I feel my cheeks beginning to blush. Why? I have no idea. It’s not like I still have feelings for him. I look down to see that I'm wearing a shirt that he always claimed to be his favorite. I know it isn't. He always loved this Minnie Mouse shirt I bought on a trip to Disneyland when I was 18. Yes, it still fits me.

“Where’s Michelle?” I ask him, knowing I need to lead this conversation elsewhere.

“Why do you always do that?” He asks with an amused smile.

“Do what?” I ask him, not understanding what he was implying.

“Ask about her when we’re alone” He says into my ear as he locks his hands behind my back, holding me tighter. “I don't want to talk about her when I'm with you. You don’t see me asking you about John” He whispers in my ear.

“Maybe you should” I say, moving my head enough to speak directly to him. “& I ask you about Michelle because you seem to forget that you’re married to her” I say & I see his jaw tighten. I see his eyes flick up for a second, like spotting someone, before he grabs my hand & starts pulling me towards the door. “What the hell are you doing?” I yell at him as he continues to pull me until we’re standing outside the club. The sudden cold wind from New York hits me, sending chills up & down my body. “Are you fucking crazy? What’s your fucking problem?” I say, pulling my hand back.

“He’s my fucking problem” He screams to me. “Fucking John & fucking Michelle are my fucking problem” He says, running his hands through his hair. “I can’t stand seeing you with him. I can’t fucking stand you laughing at him or kissing him or even fucking touching him” He says, letting out a desperate sigh afterwards. “I can’t stand this” He says, motioning to me & him. “It’s killing me. I tried, Belle. Trust me, I tried to forget you. I tried to move on… but I can’t. I just can’t” He looks down defeated & I feel a tug in my heart. Because I know he’s not lying. I can see it.

“That’s not my problem, Brian” I say & his head snaps up. “I have moved on” I say in the coldest tone I’ve ever spoken. “I found someone that loves me & that I love. He makes me happy, something I thought no one but you could ever make me feel. John does that” I say.

“I can make you happy” He says, his voice in a pleading tone.

“No, you can't. & I’m sorry you’re not happy, but I am" I say.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Annabelle? You think you're happy? You're not happy. You depend on a guy to be happy. A guy that doesn't even know you. He knows nothing about you. How can you be happy when you're so far away from your family & friends?" He says, stepping closer to me.

"No, I'm not fucking kidding you. I am happy. Very happy, Brian. Something I know you're not. & I would appreciate if you would just let me be happy & worry about your own damn happiness. I don’t need you around, Brian. I don’t need you to be a constant reminder of the mistakes those years were" I say. His eyes soften up, & he looks hurt.

“You think…” He gets chocked up. “I was a mistake? I was a mistake to you? What we had was a mistake? All those years, all those memories... they were mistakes to you?” He says with so much hurt in his voice that I actually feel my heart breaking. It’s just then that I realize how harsh my words came out.

“I… I didn’t mean it like that, Brian” I say, feeling a bit of panic running through my veins. But I don't panic.

“You know what, Annabelle? Maybe you’re right. Maybe it’s time for me to move on. It can’t be that hard since I barely recognize the woman standing in front of me. Because they sure weren't mistakes to me. Yes, you might hate me now. Yes, what we did to Chelle was completely fucked up. Yes, I might not have the balls to move on & forget you. But guess what? Those years, those 'mistakes', are the best times I've had in my life. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me" He says, walking past me, but I grab his hand, stopping him.

“Brian… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. It sounded all wrong. It came out wrong” I say, desperation loud in my voice. I haven’t been desperate since the day I asked him to not marry Michelle.

“It’s ok. Obviously whatever I do will never be good enough. I’m never gonna be good enough for you. It’s just sad to see how self absorbed you’ve become. I kinda miss the old Annabelle. The one that used to put family first, above everything else. & I know I'm somehow responsible for fucking you up & fucking whatever we had up, but I'm not gonna take the blame for the bitch you've become" He says, snatching his hand back.

“Brian, I…” His words hit me like a bucket filed with ice cold water. “I just…” I can’t even find the right words, if they’re even ones. He thinks I'm a bitch, my employees think I'm a bitch, I'm pretty sure the majority of people I know & work with think I'm a bitch. & it just hits me... I am a bitch. I've turned into a bitch since I have nobody around to keep my feet on earth. Because... that was Brian's role. & since I don't have him anymore, maybe I lost myself.

“It sucks to be in love with someone that doesn’t exist anymore” He says & I feel a tear escaping my eye. What is wrong with me? I haven’t cried in so long.

"Brian-" But he cuts me off.

"The Annabelle I claim to be in love with doesn't exist anymore. Right now... I can't even see a hint of her in you. Maybe it's time for me to stop chasing shooting stars & start facing reality"

“Hey, there you are. Is everything ok?” John asks, appearing from inside the room. I quickly turn my head for him not to see my teary eyes, while trying my best to wipe the ones that already escaped.

“Yeah” Brian answers. “I was just saying goodbye to Annabelle” He says & I turn to look at him. His eyes burning mine. & I feel the urgency to kiss him. “I better go look for my friends & wife. & something to drink. It's an open bar anyways” He says & John replies a 'yeah'. Brian turns around & walking inside the club, not even looking at me & not even saying goodbye. John walks to me & hugs me, kissing the top of my head.

“Are you sure you’re ok? You’re shaking” He says, hugging me tighter. I bite my lips & reassure him that I’m fine & that I’m just shaking cuz I’m cold. But I’m far from fine & I'm far from shaking because of the cold air. I hate myself. I hate the pain that I’ve put on my friends, on my family. & I hate the way Brian looks at me now. With no love anymore. I hate that I lost him. That right now, it looks like I really lost him. & I'm not sure I'm fine with that.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... this has been edited!!! Spell checked & everything. So read it again. I was running late yesterday, so I just wrote it quickly & upload it, but now, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I wasn't thrilled at the way it was yesterday. So, tell me what you think now?

Anna's outfit

So thanks to:

trisha808
candice
Yay Its Alex!
Evil_Ducky
Jenna.M.Hanner
SynysterxSavannah
bldydrkangl
Jazz1617
Rapsby
party in my pants
hachie
powerofkisses
your.typical.kidd
Ringo
Vanzchyk2011
Music-for-life <-- Haha! it's not Cena, but I'm gonna incorporate some WWE in this story somehow!!!
life.in.technicolor
foREVer neVEr (I Forgot My Name) <--- It's not John Smith from Pocahontas!!! But you made laugh really hard!
stephaniev09
MIZZ_VENGENZ
lollipop3
xXLostXSoulXLoverXx
angy_kaulitz
Vixyn of Syn

Since a couple of you nailed... I'm taking the first one that got it right. Expect a PM!!! & you'll find out soon who he is!!!!

Read & Enjoy! Comment & Subscribe!