‹ Prequel: Our Song
Status: Update on this story March 30, 2013.

Second Chance

In the mist of this self-inflicted pain, I can see my beautiful rescue

Annabelle’s POV

“Ms. Hurley, your 1 PM is here” Abby says through the speaker.

“Send her in” I say, putting down the pencil. I’ve been drawing instead of editing the new issue of the magazine. I kinda miss drawing. I still do it from time to time, but not as much as I would like to. Not as much as I used to. No wonder with everything that’s been going on in my life that I started drawing A7X again. Why? I don’t know exactly. Maybe because it makes me feel like time stood still & that I’m still another crazy, loyal fan that has a scrapbook about them. I had a scrapbook. I had thousands of photos, drawings & articles. Thousands of memories. Memories that I decided to leave behind. Memories that I decided to leave with Brian. Memories that still haunt me from time to time. I sigh, looking at the finished work. One of my favorite things to do was draw them in a cartoon-ish way. I stare at my work for a couple of seconds, before tearing the page up in a dozen of pieces & discarding them just in time as a young girl walks through my door. She had honey color wavy hair that fell through her shoulders, reaching a bit over her middle back. She looked shy & clutched her bag & portfolio close to her. She’s about my height & brown warm eyes. “Hi” I say, smoothing down my dress. She walks further into my office. “I’m-”

“You’re Annabelle Hurley” She interrupts me, offering me her hand. I shake hers. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. I’m a big fan of your work” She says, shaking my hand so hard & fast that I thought she would rip it from me.

“Thanks” I say, snatching my hand back. She smiles, letting me see she has dimples.

“Oh, I’m so sorry” She says, her smile quickly getting replaced with horror written all over her face when she sees me massaging my hand. “I’m a little bit nervous. This is a big opportunity for me” She says, casting her glance downward, ashamed. Almost shy. I smile. She’s cute. She looks almost innocent. “Not every day you get a call from the biggest art magazine EVER saying that the editor its really interested in your work & wants to meet you. Not to mention when I’m a huge fan of your work. You have build yourself such an important & real reputation. It’s a shame that you don’t paint as much as you used to. Back in California, everyone is in love with your work. You’re such a role model for girls like me” She says, blushing. I laugh.

“Well… um…” I stop. What’s her name? Why do I keep forgetting her name?

“Shannon” She says, almost reading my mind, the small smile never leaving her face. She really seems down to earth & ready to leave life to the fullest. She must be 20.

“Right… Shannon” I say, a bit embarrassed that I forgot her name. Maybe I shouldn’t have been referring to her as my 1 PM. “Let’s take a seat so we can get to know each other a bit” I say, motioning for her to sit at the couches of the small reception area I have. “So… how was your flight?” I ask, crossing my legs.

“Tiring. A stupid little kid wouldn’t stop crying” She says, rolling her eyes in annoyance. I laugh. She stops to look at me & then her eyes land on the dozens of photos of my nephews on my walls. She points to the newly born… Sean. “I’m sorry. I don’t hate kids. I just hate that kid. Your kids are beautiful & awesome” She says, embarrassed. I laugh out loud.

“It’s ok. I know what you mean. & those are my nephews” I say & I see her give out a big sigh. “May I?” I ask her, signaling her portfolio. She nods & hands it to me. I open it & smile. She has such amazing talent for photography. A diamond in the rough. “You never had taken classes before, am I right?” I ask her, turning to look at her quickly. She shakes her head no. I nod my head & return my eyes to scan her portfolio. “Huh” I say, turn page after page. “You can tell. Your composition is shit & you have no sense of how to use illumination” I say, before closing the portfolio, quite loudly.

“Oh” She says in a sad tone. “I, uh…” She starts but gets choked up.

“But you’re talent is undeniable” I say & I see her now watery eyes staring at me in disbelief. “You didn’t thought I would get you here from Temecula just to tell you that you suck, right? I’m not that bitchy” I say, smiling at her. She lets out a laugh. “Sorry for scaring you” I say & she lets out a shaky laugh. “I’m impressed with your work. Pauline said she saw your pics when she went to Huntington a year ago” I say.

“Yeah… we’re like 2 hours apart” She says & I nod. I know Temecula is close to HB. “Where did she saw my work?” She asks.

“At a college thing. Anyways… I’m interested in doing an article about pure, raw, inspirational young talent. Maybe it’ll become a regular article in the magazine. But I think you’ll be great for the first try” I say, running a hand through my hair. “Are you interested? We’ll provide everything you need while you’re here. I’m gonna be honest, we don’t have much time, we’re still trying to figure out how to come up with the concept but, we would be more than pleased than to have you on board. What do you say?” I ask & she jumps from her seat, tackling me, making us fall to the floor. God… she knocked me off the couch. & my back tail had never hurt so much in a long time.

“YES, YES, YES, OF COURSE I’M INTERESTED” She says from on top of me, squealing from excitement. I’m getting a hard time catching some air from her tight grip. But I feel as excited as she’s feeling. You always wait for that opportunity to seize everything you wanted. This is hers. I’m given her the opportunity & I can’t help but feel a little proud of myself. Proud that I can make a complete stranger one of the happiest person in this planet. “OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD” She kept repeating, never letting me go.

“Are we interrupting something? Cuz we can come back later” I hear someone say. Shannon’s head snaps up & her cheeks turn from a light pink to hooker red in seconds.

“OH MY GOD! It’s not what you’re thinking” She says, apologizing & getting up. I laugh & roll my eyes. I did recognize the voice. “It’s my fault. I knocked her off the-“

“Shannon, stop” I say, stopping her. “It’s not necessary” I add. “What are you guys doing here?” I ask, sitting up & pulling my dress down a bit. It kinda rose too much for my comfort. But then again… I never expected to get tackled by a girl.

“We’re here to kidnap you” Johnny says, walking to stand in front of me, offering me his hand to help me get up as Matt does the same to Shannon. “You can bring your special friend too” He says, eyeing Shannon. “Hi, I’m Johnny-“

“You’re Johnny Christ” She says in a rush. “& you’re M. Shadows. You’re part of Avenged Sevenfold” She says, going into her fan girl mode in seconds. I’m surprised how emotional & spontaneous this girl is. She can go from crying to laughing in 0.2 seconds. It’s ridiculous, but yet entertaining. She can definitely assure you a great time. & of course she knows the guys. She’s from California, for Christ sake. They are kind of Gods there. “I’m you’re biggest fan. But I’m sure you get that all the time. & probably your moms are your biggest fans. They always are” She says in one big breath. We just stare at her in awe. This girl can talk faster than anyone I’ve ever met! Not even Pauline talks that fast. & that’s saying something.

“Thanks?” Says Matt a bit unsure. He then turns to look at me. “How have you been?” He asks, walking to me & hugging me. He lifts me up, shaking me in his embrace, making me squeal. It feels nice to have a nice pair of muscular arms around you, holding you. Don’t get me mistaken, there’s nothing wrong with John’s arms. I love John’s arms. I fit perfectly in them. It’s just that I was used to have big, buff guys around me that used to grab me like a rag doll. A thing that I still adore by the way. He puts me down & I get embraced by Johnny now. He takes it more delicately. But I bet it’s because he couldn’t lift me because I’m his same height.

“I can’t believe you know Avenged Sevenfold” Shannon mutters. “I can’t believe I said that out loud” She says later. “& I can’t believe I keep thinking out loud. I’m gonna shut up now” She says blushing even harder if it was possible.

“Guys, this is Shannon. We were in the middle of something” I say. Johnny mutters something & Matt wiggles his brows suggestively. Boys & their dirty minds. “If you guys could give us a minute” I say, before sitting down again. I tell Shannon to do the same but she seems captivated by the guys. “Uh… Shannon?” I say snapping my fingers to get her attention but she ignores me. It’s like she’s in a trance.

“We’re kidnapping you” Matt says, sitting next to me, not giving a second thought to Shannon, who’s staring at him, then Johnny, then him, then Johnny, & so on. I guess he must be used to it by now. I know Val is.

“I have a lot of stuff to do. In case you didn’t notice, I was in the middle of an interview with Shannon here” I say, pointing to Shannon. “Not everyone gets paid to do nothing just because they’re rock stars. Some of us, pure mere mortals, have to work to make a living” I say in a serious tone. Well, maybe not so serious, but I was trying to make my point clear. I cannot take days off just like that. It’s not something that I do. Then Matt played his card. He turns to look at Shannon & smiles… his dimple smile. The smile that brought millions of girls to their knees & I could clearly see Shannon swooning over him. Damn him!

“You don’t mind if we steal her from you, do you, Shan?” He says & Shannon shakes her head no rapidly, looking almost as if it was gonna pop out of her neck. Her eyes shined when he called her ‘Shan’. He really is a natural charmer. “See? She doesn’t mind. So… let’s go” He says, grabbing my hand & pulling me up. “Go grab your stuff” He instructs me, almost like bossing me, but I don’t move. They must be crazy if they think I’m leaving with them in the middle of the afternoon. It will be a wasted day. Besides, we’re already behind with the magazine thanks to my emotional ‘havoc’ that doesn’t let me concentrating for long periods of time. “Don’t make me carry you” He threatens me. I cross my arms over my chest, challenging him. A sly smirk appears on his face, his dimples appearing too. Before I can blink, he picks me up & throws me up on his shoulder, securing me by his hold on my legs. “Grab her jacket & purse, Johnny” He says, starting to walk out of my office. “See ya around, Shannon” He hollers, not turning back. I see Shannon wave them, well… us, goodbye.

“MATT!!!! PUT ME DOWN RIGHT NOW” I scream at him. “THIS ISN’T FUNNY” I scream some more, moving around so he would put me down. But I was hurting my stomach instead on his firm shoulder.

“Stop wiggling or I’m gonna drop you” He says. “& I won’t apologize” He adds & I huff, giving up & watch a shocked Abigail looking at me when we arrived to the lobby.

“Cancel everything for today. I’m being kidnap by these goons” I say, while Johnny, Matt & me on Matt’s shoulder, excited the building. We arrived at a big black SUV. Johnny opened the back door as Matt threw me on the back seat. I’m sure he must’ve seen my panties. He just threw me like I was a gym bag or something. Fucking asshole. He climbed on the driver seat & Johnny on the passenger one. “& where exactly are you taking me?” I ask, my arms crossed over my shoulder. I’m sure I must be pouting like a child, but I don’t care. THIS wasn’t on my plans & I don’t like anyone messing around with my plans. I hate altering my routine. I’m perfectly fine with my routines.

“To your place so you can change” Johnny says & I scoff.

“You don’t know where I live” I say smartly.

“Yes, we do. John gave us the address” Matt says with a smug smirk on his face, looking at me through the rearview mirror. I hear his GPS giving him the direction.

“What? When?” I asked shocked. Why would John do that? & when did the guys met with John? I didn’t even know they talked to him.

“He called us yesterday saying that you were acting weird & that he thought it would be a great idea of we spent some time together. ” Matt says, making all the right turns on the busy streets if New York to reach my apartment.

“We told him that it was probably because you missed doing the stuff we used to do. So he suggested we take you out & just have a great time. Maybe we’ll even get smashed like we used to. Oh… those were great times” Johnny says & I just hold my breath. This can go wrong in so many ways.

“Don’t look so scared, Anna. It almost looks like you don’t want to hang out with us” Matt says & I can see that he’s hurt by my reaction. “We’re not gonna make you stay with us if its making you this miserable” He finishes. His voice had a hurt tone, but it also got some anger. It’s not that I don’t want to hang with them… I love them to death. They’re my family. How can I not want to spend time with them? After all this years? Of course I want to hang out & get smashed. I want to wake up with a huge hangover that all I’ll do the next day at work is sleep it off. But I don’t want to see Brian. I’m afraid Brian doesn’t want to see me. I’m afraid that I’m gonna mirror his pain, that I’ll make his even more miserable with my presence solely. I don’t want to make it harder on him.

“Where are we going?” I ask again, looking out the window, seeing the all familiar buildings. I know I won’t be able to back down without hurting someone’s feelings. So I do what I always do… I accept so I can make the people that matters to me happy.

“Smackdown is in town” Johnny says turning on his seat to look at me. “We know how much of a fan you are, so we thought what better, right? Besides, you & Matt used to go to every show you could. It will be like old time” He says, with a big smile on his face. I’m not gonna lie. I LOVE WWE wrestling. But I haven’t been able to watch an entire fight in years. So I am kinda excited about going. But I’m dying to know if he’s gonna be there. This is gonna be interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is a major filler. I've been on a devasting writers block. I'm trying to work myself out of it, so I'm sorry if my updates become less regular than they already are. I didn't updated last weekend cuz... it was my birthday!!!! Yep... May 15th. So of course, I started partying since the 13th. I had a blast! Except for this. Cool, right? Well... one died before we even sang the Happy Bday!!! So I had to resort to the traditional candles. Hahaha!

So, I LOVED the feedback from the last chapter. & Shannon is inspired by this beautiful girl.... hachie. She was the winner!!!!

Thanks to:

powerofkisses
MIZZ_VENGENZ
stephaniev09
Razberry13
lollipop3
RuthieGates
JimJams90
SynysterxSavannah
xXBeforeEmilysEyesXx
candice
Jazz1617
bldydrkangl
KellShadows
Music-for-life
Yay Its Alex!
Synyster Sykes
angy_kaulitz
Vixyn Of Syn
life.in.technicolor
synfulldreams
trisha808
hachie
avenging angel
PhoebenPaige
writing.
TwistedScars

Read & Enjoy! Comment & Subscribe!!!