Forever Praying

The Anxiety

Candide was still in her extravagant dress as she got on Callisto, who seemed well rested. She couldn’t think of anything else other than Saltrick, her father and everyone else she cared about in her kingdom. She couldn’t believe that they were all in danger and that she wasn’t even there with them. No, instead she had been enjoying herself at a ball, not another care except a marriage proposition. It seemed foolish to worry about that now. Tears were flowing down her face, her emotions running high.

She was in front of the army with Caspian, who seemed to be looking at her with worry but she couldn’t process that thought at the moment. There was an army of a thousand, or so, men behind them, all ready for battle even though they had a long ride ahead of them. Candide felt like barfing, she wanted to be in her kingdom right this instant. She wanted to help every way she could but it was impossible at the moment.

“We’ll get there in time, Candide.” Caspian whispered to her, before turning around to face the army. “Let’s ride!” he yelled and then they were gone.

They rode fast and they were relentless. They didn’t stop for breaks often and Candide was dozing in and out of sleep on her horse, only waking up when she was about to fall and Caspian took her wrist to steady her. He was being a big help, although he didn’t say much. He was just there for her and she the princess couldn’t have asked for better.

Thankfully, Christopher behind them and didn’t speak. Candide didn’t know if it was because the kingdom was in danger or because he was flustered she did not answer right away. She didn’t care to know.

Alexander was also behind her but he did not keep quiet. Now, Candide loved the young boy. He was a terrific friend and great company, but at that moment she wanted to be far away from him. He didn’t stop speaking about how people could be dead and he was wondering out loud what kind of weapons the enemy was using. It did not help the woman in the slightest.

Honestly, the only thing that kept Candide from bolting with Callisto to Saltrick was Caspian. His face kept her mind clear and calm and she was so thankful for that.

After what seemed like hours blended together to make something horrible, they arrived at the borders of Saltrick. Candide finally realized at that moment how much she really did love her kingdom and everyone in it as she watched the horror and destruction happening before her.

Smoke and fire could be seen and Candide felt the awful smell enter her nostrils and fill her senses. Screams and cries could be heard while they could see people running around, although they were too far away to make out friend from enemy. The princess could see huge ships at the docks and she guessed those were the boats of the pirates and the army from Turlive.

She wanted to scream and cry but just as she thought that something rose inside of her. Pure hatred. Candide wanted to go down there and kill every single person that was harming her beloved home and family, because that’s what it was for her. The young woman had never felt such an intense feeling of anger and it frightened her a bit but she didn’t have to think about that for the moment.

“Come on.” Caspian only yelled and they were off towards the castle.

The moment they arrived and her steed had slowed down enough she jumped off and ran inside of the castle, worry clouding her mind. The guards at the entry only gave her a surprised glance but she took no notice of this as she ran through the familiar hallways. She ran to the great hall and didn’t even stop when she saw that the heavy doors were closed. Canide only mustered up all of her force and pushed the doors, bursting in the room.

Two guards were immediately on her and she shrieked in shock.

“Stop it!” a familiar voice bellowed and the guards released her quickly. “She hasn’t been gone so long that you don’t remember your own princess, guards.”

Candide looked up to see her father, more wrinkles on his face than she remember and he wore a grave face but he managed to smile at her, embracing her in a hug when she ran towards him.

“I’m so glad you’re back, dear.” he whispered in her ear and she smiled although she noticed that tears were once again flowing. She didn’t know what was wrong with her today.

“King George, nice to see you again.” Caspian said, nodding at her father respectively and Candide noticed that he and Christopher had arrived behind her.

“Likewise, King Caspian, although I do wish it would be under better circumstances.” Candide’s father replied, letting go of his daughter.

At that moment Aaden arrived in the room, carrying some kind of pot, a scowl on her face. Candide grinned suddenly before running up to her friend, embracing her in a hug. Aaden let go of the pot, yelled out something and then suddenly she was hugging Candide back. The princess still had a grin on her face as the other girl rambled on about nonsense. Finally, something good out of this dreadful day.

Candide listened to Aaden ramble on some more as they let go of each other, not really understanding much of what she was talking about. She noticed that Caspian and her father were talking together, huddled over the table. She wasn’t sure what they were talking about but she was certain it had something to do with the war raging outside.

And then it all came tumbling back down. Everyone was in danger and she had to do something.

“Father, we need to go. We need to go help the villagers and save our kingdom.”

The two men turned around as Aaden stopped talking. Caspian had a small scowl on his face while her father still looked grave.

“You’re right, my daughter. We are going to do everything in our power. But you need to be safe, that’s why we’re going to keep you in one of the towers. Aaden will keep you company and guards will be outside of the door.”

“Y-you must be kidding.” Candide stuttered, not believing this.

“We need to keep you safe and this is the only way we’ll be certain of this. I need an heir if anything happens to me.”

This was horrible! What was he thinking? She had to help!

“But…!” she said astonished but she didn’t have time to finish her sentence.

“This is not up for discussing, Candide. Please, you and Aaden follow the guard to the tower.”

The princess looked over at Caspian but he only had the same scowl on his face. The scowl that said ‘this isn’t up to me, although I don’t agree with it’. Candide frowned at her father, feeling quite angry. She admitted defeat though and turned around sharply, walking out of the room briskly.

This was horrible.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lack of updates, I hope you liked this one though. <33 (:

Thank you for all the comments, they literally make my day.

Comment on what you liked/disliked? <33 (: