Status: hiatus

Two of Them

Sound Of Money

“Tokio Hotel sales have enormously dropped in the last month,” a business man in a suit says at the other end of the table.
The band, the manager, my dad and I are all sitting quietly at the long table in front of the business man.
“But they just finish their tour in Asia, How can that be?” Mr. Jost, the manager, asks.
My dad forces me to come here.
“It did go up… but it just went back down.” The man replies. I stare and pick at my nails, very uninterested.
“Marketing seems fine.”
“I really think the problem is the headlines,” My dad suggests, “Tokio Hotel isn’t on front pages anymore.”
“Yeah. After Tom’s Viagra scandal happen, Tokio hotel have been off the charts.”
Tom interrupts, “It wasn’t a scandal.”
Everyone looks at Tom.
“Well, we need you boys back on the headlines if you want the record label to go up.”
“Seriously, I don’t want to be chased down by paparazzi. I like the silence,” Bill says.
“He’s right; I don’t want them to get a bad rep from too many scandals.” Mr. Jost replies.
“All the other stars have better sales because of the attention their getting. We need to be in the public eye,” my dad says.
The business man talks, “Something new and something fresh. That’s what we need.”
“But what?” Georg asks.
“Bill needs a new girlfriend,” Jost says, “All of Tokio Hotel fans would want to see a romantic side.”
Bill shakes his head, “No, David. I’m not like Tom who do it just for publicity.”
“But in all those interviews, you talk about love. I think it would be wise to show what you mean. And you boys have time for girlfriends now, right?”
“I’m not going to take a random girl off the street,” Bill laughs.
My dad perks up, “Hey, we can use my daughter.”
I almost choke on my saliva, “What? What?”
“Just for the cameras. You and Bill.”
“I’m not famous,” I scoff.
“New and fresh, just what we need,” my dad turns to Bill, “Right?”
“I don’t think it’s a good idea,” Bill says.
“Hey, award shows are right around the corner. This is a good alternative to boost your album on the charts!” Jost agrees.
My dad turns around to me, “All you have to do is smile and do a few interviews. Don’t worry about it, Gen.”
“Dad, I can’t just barge in like this.”
“Don’t worry about it, Gen. It’s fine.”
“So it’s settled,” the business man clasp his hands together, “This will work, I’m sure.”
Everyone gets up from their seat and leaves.
It’s like no one wants to hear what I need to say.

I stress and mope around in my room until Bill softly knocks on the door.
I get up to see him.
“I hope you aren’t beating yourself over this,” Bill says.
“No,” I laugh, “Not at all.”
“I’m not totally on board with this but I think we can give it shot. You are a nice girl. I’m sure everyone will love you,” Bill smiles.
“It’s just… I don’t know,” I slump down my shoulders.
Cathy and dad argues from downstairs. Both of us turn around and head to the staircase.
“What? You can’t do that! How stupid can you be?” Cathy screams at my dad.
“It will be great for the label.”
“Screw your stupid label! That’s exploiting Genève!” Cathy sees me and opens her mouth.
“Cathy, you are overreacting, here.”
“Of course! It’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard you said in a long time Lionel. You don’t use your daughter for more money,” she speaks plainly.
My dad nervously chuckles and looks at Bill and me.
“You said it yourself that she’s gorgeous. Look at them. Don’t they look like a couple?” he says pointing towards us.
All of a sudden, I blush.
Cathy smacks my dad on the shoulder, “That’s not the point. You know what the industry is capable of. You shouldn’t put her out there like that, especially in a relationship with a rock star.”
“All the other parents are doing it,” he jokes. Cathy keeps on a serious face, “Well it’s already settled. In fact, next week is the VMA’s; perfect time for Bill to reveal his new girlfriend. Trust me, this will be front cover on every magazine in Europe! I’ll bet you a million dollars!”
She just rolls her eyes and ignores him. She turns to Bill.
“I’m making vegetarian lasagne. Sounds good?”
Bill answers yes.
Dad sings, walking out the kitchen, “Bill and Genève! I like the sound of that. It’s the sound of money, money, money!”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment
subscribe