Just a Game

Chapter 20

I was awaken the next morning by Jackie and Michelle who had made the plans to go eat this morning. And by morning I mean afternoon, I got up collected my dress and then left, I would have thanked Karren, but she was no where to be found. She wasn't even like sleeping anywhere. Jackie had a car there. "Alright where to ladies," she said handing us all sunglasses. Thank God Jackie is always prepared.

"I say Cocos," I said.

"You always say Cocos," Michelle rolled her eyes, "how about Dennys."

"Eww Dennys is gross," Jackie said.

"Ha," I stuck my tongue out at Michelle, "Cocos it is."

"IHOP," Jackie said, "we are going to IHOP." I made a face at Jackie and she turned to me and said, "my car my choice." I rolled my eyes and she drove us to IHOP and we took a seat.

"Too bad Olive Garden doesn't have breakfst," I said sulking, "they always hav cute waitors."

"I know," Jackie said, "I love that and the best part is they are like paid to flirt."

"Seriously," Michelle said, "it's like you can't work there unless you are a gorgeous young male." Jackie and I looked at her and she smiled, "just because I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu guys."

"Please never say that line again," I said.

"We should have gone there," Jackie said, "I mean it's after 12, we could have had lunch for breakfast. "

"Too late now," Michelle said looking at her menu. "So Keaton, how was your walk last night are you any less confused."

"That walk was the best decision of my entire life," I said goofy face and they both raised their eyebrow, "I met a guy, he's really nice and totaly sweet, his name is Brandon and he lives a few houses away from Karren." Michelle gave me a somewhat disappointed look and I just asked, "what?"

"Are you guys ready," the dude taking our order asked and we all nodded and told him our orders and handed him our menus.

"It's just you were supposed to be thinking," Michelle said.

"I was thinking," I stuck my tongue out, "I was thinking, this boy is nice to me he called me pretty and walked me back even though I sounded completely nuts last night." Jackie looked at me asking for the whole story and so I told them everything.

"Aww that is so cute," Jackie said, "I like this kid."

"You know sometimes you re really stupid," Michelle said, "why were you standing in the middle of the street.

"Wow," I said, "out of everything I just said, all you got was that." Our food came and that was the extent of this conversation. I did get Brandon's number from Karren and we've been texting all weekend. Usually, as you saw with Nick, I have a knack for dating jerks, but for once I actually believe he may be a good guy. And we have a date on tuesday, nothing big, just movies and dinner at his house. In fact this weekend had become a total success because on Monday Chase didn't say a single word to me, he didn't bother me at all. It has been so long since I've had such peace.

Of course such bliss wouldn't last long would it? Tuesday rolls around and of course I'm beaming through the whole day. I was excited, I have mentioned before that I get like a little kid when I'm excited. I get impatient and well hyper.

I was at my locker, just throwing some books in and then shut it and on the other side leaning against Lexi Duncan's locker was him. Her looked at me, "Keaton, I really think you and I have to talk."

"I'll take a rain check, I'm in a fantastic mood and I don't want it ruined," I said walking down the hall.

"What's got you so bright and bubbly," he looked at me with his eyebrow raised.

"Oh, just that I've got my foot in the door of my next relationship," I smiled, "and I've got a good feeling about it too."

"What?" I disregarded the what and continued walking and he cut me off, "slow down." He put his hands on my shoulders to stop me "what are you talking about."

"Well thanks to a drunken rant by you, I went on a walk to clear my thoughts and I met Brandon," I smiled, "we have a date tonight, don't worry though I think even you would approve of this guy."

"Keaton I wasn't drunk, I really care about you, I love you and I'm not really sure that you understand," he said.

"I understand completely," I said disagreeing with him, "I'm not stupid, I don't think you understand what you are saying, I think whatever you said that night was a slip of the tongue, you didn't mean it."

"Do you even listen to me," he said and I nodded, "oh really did you here me say I love you about 10 seconds ago." Did he really say that, I don't remember, it was so long ago, no way of knowing.

"You're kidding," I laughed and pushed past him trying to push Brandon back into my head and get Chase Cole out of there.

"Keaton, there are some things I don't joke about," he said coming after me, "trust me I wish it were a joke, but it's not." Just keep walking, just get to the gym, just keep walking, stop thinking about him while you're at it. That was playing through my head. I got to the door to the gym, I was inches away and the he continued, "could you please say something."

I looked back, why did I do that? I bit my lip and almost felt bad for the guy just standing there. What was I suppossed to say? I couldn't even feel good that he looked so miserable, something the normal me would have taken pleasure in. I shook my head and stuttered, "I...I can't." Then I retreated into the gym and into the locker room.

"What is wrong with you," Michelle yelled walking in. Yes there were other people there, but I was on the bench laying down.

"Oh I don't know," I said sarcastically, "maybe the fact that I feel terrible and I may never smile again."

"So get back out there and fix it," she demanded trying to get me up, "you know you like him so stop trying to deny it."

"So wht if I do, I just can't alright," I said.

"Why not," she asked.

"Because leading psycologists say that male subjects like him aren't in love with the other party, rther they are in love with the chase and that when the other party," I sat up, "that would be me," I laid back down, "actully falls for them the male subject is no longer in love."

"Where did you come up with that," she said.

"Psyche class," I said, "the article is in my folder if you want to go get it out of my locker."

"You know that stuff is always wrong," she said.

"Leading psychologists, of the freaking Nation, Michelle," I said throwing out my arms, "these are the smartest people in this subject, you never believe me can't you believe them."

"No," she said, "where is the Keaton who always sees the good in her asshole dates, the naive one who for some reason believes that no one is guilty until proven guilty."

"That's different," I said standing up and she crossed her arms waiting for an explaination, "this isn't some asshole date Michelle this is Chase Cole, let me repeat that CHASE COLE. If you've forgotten I hate him, I really really hate him, he is my sworn enemy for ife, that is why this is different, because this is Chase Cole and I really really really don't want to like him."

"But you do," she said.

"It doesn't matter," I said and sighed deciding now would be as good a time as ever to get ready for practice. The only good I can say that came from any of this is that my coach did say I was swinging a lot harder today. Hitting is the only way to let out my aggression, okay actually pitching works too, but those days are no fun for Michelle. That's why I think she avoided that today.