Status: Slowly Active.

Let the Flames Begin

You're playing these hearts like toys

“I can’t believe this is happening to me.”

Ryder and I had been saying this all morning. We had woken up early and gotten picked up by a limo of all things to catch a flight to Los Angeles.

It was hard to say goodbye to my family. My aunt and grandmother had woken at the crack of dawn to make me breakfast and to prepare snacks for the whole band to eat while we waited at the airport. I hugged each of them as they fussed over me in the cool morning air.

Jeremy had been in the limo when it pulled up. My family fussed over him and then the limo. It was sad to think that I wouldn’t see them for two months or so, but at the thought of touring my heart spluttered excitedly.

Taylor, Hayley, and Ryder’s family had said goodbye at the airport. Ryder and Robbie had hugged tightly and I could have sworn I’d seen some tears. Robbie was staying with Hayley’s sister while we toured. I shared the biscuits and cookies my grandmother had made.

Jeremy had wrapped an arm around my shoulder while we went through the gate. I cried a little bit, sad for not begging my aunt and grandmother to come to the airport. When we got through security and were ushered into first class, the tears stopped.

I got the window seat next to Hayley. Taylor switched with Jeremy so he could sit with Ryder in front of us and Jeremy sat across the aisle from Hayley and I by himself. Despite the time of day, the stewardess handed us glasses of champagne to celebrate the departure.

I sat back in the comfortable seat with my iPod on quietly. Hayley took a picture of us and tweeted it. In the beginning of the three and a half hour flight I was hyper and leaning over Ryder’s seat to poke her face. I was beyond excited to be meeting Pete Wentz, We The Kings, and The Cab.

Towards the end I mellowed out, staring out the window at the clouds and watching Hayley flip through our issue of Alternative Press. The photos had come out great and the interviews came out nice. My aunt had about 10 copies, not counting the ones she’d sent out to the rest of my family.

I wondered if somewhere in the country, my dad had seen my face smiling up at him from a magazine shelf.

I hadn’t heard from my father in a long time. He sent Christmas and birthday cards without return addresses. Sometimes he sent blank postcards. I had given up being too concerned about it. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

“Me neither! Oh my good lord, this is insane,” Ryder said. We were stretching and getting ready to leave the plane. We were both jittery and excited. The stewardesses wished us a good day.

We stepped out onto the tarmac and then through the gate. Jeremy wrapped an arm around my shoulder and leaned into me. I could see Taylor doing the same to Ryder as Hayley led us through the gate. There were five big, burly security guards standing there.

“You might want to put these on,” he said, handing me sunglasses, “And you definitely want to prepare yourself babe, we’re in for it.”

I shoved the glasses on and looked up at him, confused. “In for what?”

He smirked and then I heard it. There were screams and cameras flashing all around us. There had to be a hundred or more fans standing in the airport waiting for us. Mixed in with the calls for Hayley, Jeremy, and Taylor was my name and it made me want to cry in happiness.

I was truly, really in Paramore.

As the security guards led us through the crowd, Hayley leaned in for quick pictures and Taylor signed some autographs. I felt incredibly foolish when a fan practically threw her shoe at me with a Sharpie. I signed it and smiled sheepishly.

“First autograph, how does it feel rockstar?” Jeremy asked. I looked at him over the sunglasses and smiled widely.

“It feels really fucking good.”

He threw his head back and laughed, taking a picture with a fan. I watched Ryder look incredulously at a fan who wanted her to sign a notebook and she looked at me before doing it. This was unreal to both of us.

We broke out into the sunlight and we were ushered into two black Escalades. I sat on the end with Jeremy in the middle and Hayley on his other side. Taylor and Ryder were in the other.

“That was amazing, oh my god.”

“I was excited to see how you would react,” Hayley said, “It gets crazy at the airports, especially in Brazil.”

“There had to be like, 200 kids in there,” I estimated, leaning my head against the tinted glass window. I couldn’t get rid of the smile on my face. This was outrageous in the best way possible.

“Just wait until you have time to talk to them after shows and stuff. It becomes much more real,” Jeremy said. Butterflies floated through my stomach. I was nervous to actually play a show. We didn’t have one until tomorrow but it was still nerve-wracking.

“Just wait until she meets Pete,” Hayley amended. She leaned over Jeremy to punch my shoulder playfully. “She blushes every time he calls or someone says his name.”

“I hate you so much right now,” I grumbled, a blush forming on my cheeks. So I might have had a lingering crush on Pete Wentz from the Cork Tree era, sue me. Hayley laughed.

“Oh shush, you love me.”

“Only a little bit,” I responded, grinning and turning my attention to Los Angeles. I’d only ever been to the beach on the East Coast and the farthest West I’d ever been was Oklahoma, for a funeral. I drank in the sights eagerly.

I wished Ryder was with me. Then I wouldn’t have felt like such a weirdo pointing out all the things I thought were cool. Jeremy and Hayley were patient with me though, laughing over my exclamations. Soon enough, we were standing outside of HQ FBR as they ever so lovingly called it.

I linked arms with Ryder as soon as she stepped out of her car. She looked as relieved as I felt. We were both new to this. We followed Hayley through the building. A few people nodded to us before we got into the elevator.

“I am about to meet Pete Wentz,” I said as the doors shut. Jeremy put a hand on my shoulder and I shook my head. “I think I might vomit.”

“Don’t be ridiculous Andy, he’s perfectly normal,” Taylor chided. At the looks from Hayley and Jeremy, he scratched his head. “Well, alright he’s completely abnormal but who isn’t?”

The elevator doors opened and I tightened my grip on Ryder, who suddenly looked exceedingly nervous as well. We looked at each other and then nodded, stepping out into the hallway. Leaning on the wall in front of us was none other than Pete Wentz.

“Well if it isn’t Paramore,” he said, “Who thought we’d see you here today?”

He walked over to us and casually hugged Hayley before doing that bro hug shit with Taylor and Jeremy. My mind turned off when his gaze came over Ryder and I.
“The newbies then hm?” he asked rhetorically. He walked around us in circles, seemingly analyzing every part of us. When he leaned in to sniff my hair, I threw my head back and laughed.

“I’m Andy,” I introduced. Instead of shaking his hand, I hugged him tightly. My bandmates laughed. Pete chuckled and held me by the shoulders at arm length.

“You’re also a whole handful of trouble aren’t you?” he asked. I nodded enthusiastically. He laughed and shook his head. “I like you.”

He turned away from me to introduce himself to Ryder. My insides nearly exploded though, from those simple words. Pete Wentz liked me. Sure, not in an amorous way and maybe not even a completely friendly way but he liked me. I couldn’t help the huge grin on my face.

“I’m Ryder, resident badass.”

“Spiffy man, I like that. Actually, I like you guys better than those three fuddy duddy’s back there,” he stuck a thumb at Hayley, Taylor, and Jeremy, “How about solo careers for the two of you?”

We all laughed when he winked and his signature, white smile flashed across his features. He threw his arms around our shoulders and led us back into the elevator.

“Alright Paramore, lunch time with We The Kings and The Cab, yeah?” he asked. Jeremy laughed and pinched my nose.

“You just got so pale Andy.”

“They’re all famous,” I said, butterflies emerging again.

“I’ll have you know I have over 2 million followers on Twitter!” Pete protested. I laughed and shrugged. Meeting Pete had been more like meeting an old friend. Hayley patted my head.

“Don’t worry about it. I haven’t met all of the members of The Cab yet either,” she said. The difference was that she was famous already. They knew who she was.

We stepped out into the lobby and Pete told us that the restaurant we were all meeting at was two buildings down. Walking meant that Ryder and I would be exposed to paparazzi for the first time. Instead of clinging to Taylor, she clung to me. I pushed the sunglasses to my face again.

“Well this is interesting,” she said into my ear. I laughed and walked with her, arm-in-arm down the LA block. The people behind the cameras were yelling our names and seemingly, only ours.

“Interesting is an understatement.”

We were ushered into the restaurant by Pete. It seemed like a nice place and a waitress was about to greet us when she saw Pete. She stuttered and fumbled with menus while she led us to a table. Suddenly, Travis Clark from We The Kings was standing in front of us.

“Hi! I’m Travis!” he said, bouncing in and hugging each of us. He was obviously energetic and I immediately knew he was my kindred spirit. I introduced myself and Ryder, who looked confused. I leaned into her.

“The lead singer of We The Kings,” I explained. She smiled weakly so I began to sing one of their hits. “Check Yes Juliet, are you with me? Rain is falling down on the sidewalk. I won’t go until you come outside.”

Understanding blossomed on her face and she laughed as I started to dance with the song. I hadn’t realized I’d been singing loud enough for everyone to hear, so when Travis started to laugh and Hayley started singing with me, I was mildly embarrassed.

By the time we broke out into the chorus, most of us were singing and Hayley and I were full out dancing. “Run, baby, run, don’t ever look back. They’ll tear us apart if you give them the chance. Don’t sell your heart, don’t say we’re not meant to be. Run baby, run forever will be, you and me.”

The huge table of guys burst into applause and Hayley and I bowed enthusiastically. Pete was sitting at the end of the table, shaking his head and laughing as he looked through the menu.

“I’m Andy!” I introduced. There was a chorus of “Hi Andy’s!” and then a guy sitting all the way down the table said, “Look! Three girls!” There was laughter all around and I watched Taylor wrap his arms around Ryder possessively. Hayley and I stood alone.

“I’m Travis,” the ginger repeated, and then he started pointing out other people, “That’s Ryan, Danny, and this is Charles.”

We said our hello’s and I sat down in between Hayley and Travis. Down the table, Alex DeLeon introduced himself. I was already aware of everyone down that side of the table, I was a huge fan.

“I’m Alex, he’s Alex too, that’s Joey, Dave, and oh, here’s Frank. Frank, you missed everything.”

I flipped through the menu as everyone chatted down the table. Someone kicked my leg under the table and I looked up to see Jeremy. He made a funny face at me and I stuck my tongue out at him. He grinned and then I looked down, a small smile on my face.

“Do I detect flirting between you and a certain bassist?” a voice whispered in my ear. I looked up at Travis who looked away as though he hadn’t said anything. He looked back and winked.

“I think your detector is broken because you certainly are detecting no such thing,” I said. He shrugged.

“It doesn’t hurt to ask, does it?”

“I guess it doesn’t,” I smiled up at him and then tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. My heart jumped and I looked down at the menu. “So, Travis Clark, red-haired singer of We The Kings, what are you going to eat on this fine day?”

He laughed and looked through the menu. “Not altogether too sure just yet. What about Ms. Andy Russo, the mysterious drummer of Paramore?”

“Not altogether too sure just yet.”

“You’re a riot.”

I shrugged and then Hayley started talking to me about hotels and the new bus we had. Down the table, I watched Ryder talk animatedly with Alex and Frank. We all ordered and then I threw myself into a conversation with Travis and Charles.

I was so happy and excited about all of this. There was talk of meeting crew members, sound checks, and meet and greets. I sank back in my chair when I was finished and listened to everybody else talk. When the waitress brought the check, Pete stood up.

“This one’s on FBR,” he said, and we all cheered. We all piled out of the restaurant and into cars to take us to the hotel. This time I was in a car with Ryder and Travis. I threw my legs over their laps as we pulled off the curb.

“I can’t believe this is happening right now!” I said. Ryder laughed and drummed her fingers on my thighs.

“Me neither! It’s incredible.”

“Ooh, I can’t believe it either,” Travis said in a girly voice. Ryder slapped his arm playfully and we all giggled. The car ride wasn’t awkward at all and I was thankful for it. Travis was easy to hang out with.

We sang a rousing chorus of Misery Business before the driver got to get rid of us at the Hilton. We walked in, Ryder and I each on Travis’ arm. I spotted Hayley at the desk of the hotel and when she turned, she started laughing.

“Well, well, well, looks like Travis already started working his charm over here,” Hayley said, a huge grin on her face. When Taylor turned, Ryder went to hug him. Travis scoffed.

“I see how it is Ryder.”

“Oh don’t worry you big baby,” I hit his chest lightly, “You still got me babe.”

He grinned down at me as someone snorted behind me. I turned and saw Jeremy. There was no trace of amusement on his face at all and he was just looking at me. I turned back and bit my lip, withdrawing my arm from Travis’ as he spoke to Hayley.

Jeremy stepped up and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, narrowing his eyes at the babbling lead singer.

It seemed like jealousy was going to be another guest on this tour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Late, late, late.
I'm sorry about it.

Chapter title: "Loverboy" by You Me At Six