Status: Active/Unfinished

My New Addiction

And I'm out of my league once again

Jess

The time said 7 in the morning but the lighting in the room said otherwise. My phone lit up my face as I read a text from Brian saying he couldn’t make it to practice today.
I stumbled upon his used white shirt when I got out of Stephen’s bed. He wasn’t in the room so I decided to use the shirt. I liked how I could just stay in his bed and use his clothes without malice. Stephen and I were in THAT level of friendship. Ouch. Friendship. I cringe at the word. That’s how far Stephen and I can probably go. The first face I saw when I went out of the room was Jobe’s.

“Why the hell were you coming out of Stephen’s room?” he asked “Are you guys hiding something from us?”
“Definitely not.” Stephen replied defensively as he walked by.
“Jeff hasn’t answered my question yet. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING IN STEPHEN’S ROOM? That retard never lets any of us in there.” Jobe said.

I’ve been there thrice in my entire life time, this being the third. It was true though. He never lets anyone enter his room but I’ve seen it before I actually entered it. He had a huge window that separated his room from his balcony which was much bigger than mine. I recall throwing paper airplanes at him from my room to his a few years back.

The first time I went in his room, Stephen went ballistic. I was amused with how much music posters he had and Stephen was amused with how much knowledge I had in terms of the bands. The second time I went there was when he broke up with Veronica, the girl who cheated on him.
I knocked then asked Stephen if I could come in. I didn’t get a response and the door was unlocked so I decided to go in anyway.

The lights were off and he was facing his piano when I entered.

“What are you doing here?” He asked, the expression on his face was glum.
“If it weren’t so obvious, I’m trying to console you.” I place my head on his shoulders.
“I loved her so much.” He said, his hands on the piano keys. “She cheated on me. But… but why can’t I…”
“I know, Stephen.” I replied. “And I swear, it’s gonna be okay. You’ll get over this soon.”

Then I looked at his eyes and saw pain, aching and hurt. I hated seeing Stephen like this.

He started playing Breezy by Conor Oberst.

Move your slender fingers,
help me play this song.
Spend another night inside this rented mansion.
I love you now,
I know that doesn't matter.
“I love you now,
I know that doesn't matter.” I sang,

“Can you leave, Jess? I need some time alone.” Stephen said.
“It’s going to be okay, Stephen.” I understood his request so I placed a kiss on his cheek and left.


That’s when I knew I loved him more than just a “best friend” or a “brother”
He may be an ass sometimes but I really do.

“Jeez, Josh. I was just borrowing a shirt.” I said as I showed him my black top in my hands. “Stephen’s shirts are small enough to be considered as a cropped top.”
“I agree, I agree.” Josh said, nodding his head.
“In case you haven’t noticed, I’m still here.” Stephen interrupted, taking a bite out of his French toast. “And Jesus, Jessica. You’re making it sound like I’m an anorexic.”
“Oooh. You guys made French toast. Can I has?” I said, batting my eyes. I took a wooden stool and sat beside Stephen, our arms in full contact with each other. As soon as I felt his skin on mine, I felt a rush of butterflies in my stomach.

“And you wonder why my shirts are small enough to be called “cropped tops.”” Stephen said, putting my words in quotation marks. “You eat like a monster in the morning.”
“Oh, by the way, Brian can’t make it to practice today. Apparently, he has a big date with Chelsea..” I said, taking a slice of toast and sticking my tongue out to Stephen.

“At least one of us gets laid constantly.” John said, rubbing his eyes.
“Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.” Jobe said while he made himself breakfast.
“I couldn’t sleep last night. I heard someone banging on our front door. “ he said. “I was fucking scared to death. I thought it was some sort of murderer coming after us. I actually thought Stephen was dead.”

Stephen and I were just laughing all over the place. Trolling John was our favorite hobby. Whether it’s stealing his sandwiches or hiding his shoes during tour, it’s always the best.

“Ugh I have to take a bath.” I groaned.
“Wash my shirt please.” Stephen said, smirking.
“Fine.” I said as I left the Gomez’ house.

I opened the front door. It was unlocked. As far as I remember, I locked this before I went to the Gomez’ house. Thoughts of robbery filled my head but the luggage on the doorway cancelled those thoughts out.
“Jess, Is that you?” Courtney screamed with a sandwich in her hand.
“COURTNEY!” I said, taking her in a warm embrace. “You’re here… EARLY. Wow!”
“We’re going to tour in a week. Of course I have to be early.”
“I’m guessing neither of you packed a single thing.” She continued, finishing the last bits of her sandwich.
“You got that right.” I said. Tour was the last thing on my mind at this moment.
“What will you ever do without me? I'll help you pack. Let's go!" She hurried towards my bedroom and attacked my bed the moment she got in.

“Oh my god, Jessica. You have the comfiest bed EVER.” She said,
“I know right.” was the most decent reply I could think of. Courtney can’t know I enjoy the comforts of Stephen’s bed more.

Courtney’s our current tour manager but to be honest, she’s more than a mom than just a tour manager. She helps out other tour managers whenever she can which is why she’s away most of the time. Courts and I are inseparable during tour considering the fact that we’re the only girls in the van filled with “men” during a 15-hour road trip.
I pulled out a big black bag from underneath my bed and zipped it open.

“So, how’re you and Stephen?”
“There was never a “me and Stephen”, Courtney.” I said, putting a pile of clothes into the bag. “We’re just friends.”
“You’ve been “just friends” ever since I met you guys.”
Her words left me silent. We’ve been friends since 7th grade and that’s all we’ll ever be: just friends. I sighed at the thought.
“Is there something you aren’t telling me, Jess?” Courtney continued as she sat up.
“Well, I don’t… I don’t really know, Courtney. I think I like him.” I confessed. Fuck what I think. I know I like him.

“I bet he likes you too, Jess.”
“What?” I said, blushing, sitting on the floor beside the bag, my back against the side of my bed.
“He does. I can see it in the way he acts around you and how he looks at you.”
“How are you sure he doesn’t do that to other girls…”
“Just trust me on this one, Jess.” She assured. “Now, invite the boys over for dinner later. We’re getting pizza. My treat.” Courtney winked as she left me alone in my room to finish packing.

I took a bath as soon as I closed the bag. I stood in the shower for a while, drowning myself in thoughts. I imagine Stephen’s lips on mine once again. I imagine hanging out with him alone in his room again and him singing me songs. I imagine sleeping beside him, burying my head in his chest and his brown eyes and nice hair and… I need to go back to reality.