Status: Complete.

Resistance Is Useless

Alex

“So Karina, are you doing something tomorrow?” I asked casually. She stopped eating and thought about it for a few seconds. We were having lunch at the coffee shop we had first ‘met’ at. “Not that I know of. Why?” I shrugged. “I really want you to meet my friends.”

It’s been a few weeks since our date and we’d been hanging out a lot after that. We weren’t really dating, but it felt like we were sometimes. “Your friends? Uhm sure, but why?” She wondered. “Well, we’re friends, they’re my friends. It’s only logical I introduce them to you.” She chuckled. “It does make sense in a way.”

I smiled. “So I’ll pick you up tomorrow, around 4? We’re having a movie day.” Karina laughed. “Movie day? Really? Sounds like fun and I really wanna meet your friends.” She looked at her watch. “Dammit, I have to go. See you tomorrow Alex.” She gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were on our way to Zack’s house where we agreed to meet up. Karina was playing with the hem of her shirt and biting her lip nervously. “Would you relax?” I said. “There’s no need to be nervous. Their awesome dudes.” Karina nodded, but didn’t let go of her shirt. I sighed and decided to drop it.

We arrived at Zack’s house and I could see the rest was already there. I knocked and Zack opened the door. “Hey Alex.” “Hey Zack, I brought someone, hope you don’t mind.” I said and pulled Karina with me. “No that’s….” He stopped once he saw Karina next to me. “Uhm… Hi…” He mumbled. Karina blushed. “Hi. I’m Karina, nice to meet you.” “Same, I’m Zack.” They shook hands and we stepped inside. Zack shot me look that said ‘Really Alex?’. I ignored him and followed Karina to the living room.

“Hey guys. I brought someone.” I said and they looked up. “Guys this is Karina. Karina this is Rian and the other one is Jack.” I waved in their direction. Rian gave me a look similar to Zack’s, but Jack’s face was totally blank. Neither one of the spoke.

Rian eventually broke the awkward silence. “Uhm hi, nice to meet you.” They too shook hand and we sat down on the couch. Jack glared at me before turning back to the TV. Nobody said a word and an awkward silence filled the room once again.

Zack popped in a movie and sat down in one of the chairs. I focused on the screen in front of me, but I could see Karina playing with her shirt again from the corner of my eyes.

Halfway into the third movie Karina looked at her watch. “Hey Alex, I have to go. I promised my mom I’d stop by today.” She whispered. I nodded. “I’ll walk you out.” “Yo, guys. Karina is leaving, I’m just gonna walk her out.” I said. Karina waved a little. “It was nice meeting you.” Rian and Zack nodded, but Jack kept his gaze on the screen.

Karina put on her jacket in the hallway. “So what do you think of them?” I asked. “I don’t think they like me very much.” She whispered. “What? No, they like you, why would you think they don’t?” She blushed. “Okay, maybe Rian and Zack are okay with us hanging out, but Jack obviously hates me.” “Don’t worry about it, he’ll turn around.” I promised. “He’s just jealous.” I joked. Karina laughed. “If you say so. I’ll call you later, okay?” She asked. “Sure.” She kissed my cheek again and left.

When I returned to the living room the movie was on pause and the guys were staring at me. Jack was the first one to speak. “Really, Alex? Have you lost your fucking mind?” He screamed furiously. “What if she finds out it was us who robbed the bank. You really think you can prevent her from running to the cops? Oh wait, did I say cops? I meant FBI! You do remember the feds, right? Or are you to busy fucking your new girlfriend?”

That caused something inside me to snap. “I’m not fucking her! And she’s not my girlfriend! We’re friends.” “Friends!? Are you insane? It’s dangerous. What if she finds out who you are? This isn’t just about you, Alex. As soon as they find out you robbed that bank it won’t take long before they come for the rest of us.”

“She won’t tell. I know she won’t and besides, they don’t have any proof.” I tried to argue, but Jack wasn’t done. “Oh, really? Didn’t you say the same about Jennifer? You really want Karina to end up like your ex? On the bottom of the ocean?” He chuckled bitterly. “We did it once with Jen, I’m sure we can pull that off a second time.”

I launched myself at him, but Rian and Zack managed to stop me just in time. “Don’t you dare touch her. I’m serious, Jack. You’re my best friend, but if you ever lay hand on her I swear to god I’ll kill you.” I threatened, trying to break out of Rian and Zack’s grip.

Once I calmed down they let go of me. “You have to stop seeing her.” Jack said in a calm voice. “The risk is too big.” I ignored him and turned to my other friends. “You agree with him?” I asked. They nodded. “He’s right Lex, the risk is just too big. What if she sees you’re tattoo? She’s not stupid.” Zack said. Rian nodded in agreement.

“You can’t tell me what to do.” I hissed. “So you’re choosing a girl over your best friends?” Jack asked in disbelief. “Maybe I am.” I shrugged. This seemed to even shock Rian and Zack.

They exchanged a look. “Then you leave us no choice.” Rian said. “You have to stop seeing her.” Zack continued. “Or what.” I smirked, they actually thought they could threaten me? “Or we’ll tell her who you really are.” Jack said.

My jaw dropped. “You wouldn’t dare.” I said in a low voice. “Watch us.” He grinned back, knowing he’d won. “We’ve done things way worse than that, so don’t test us.”

“You think I don’t know that?” I screamed. “I’ve been there. You guys are suppose to be my best friends, remember? I can’t believe you’re all turning against me. I never thought my best friends would betray me like that.”

“We betrayed you? You’re the one sleeping with the enemy.” Jack said, his voice calm. “Alex we’re really sorry. We know you like her, but it’s too risky. She can’t be worth going to jail for. There are millions of other girls out there, I’m sure you’ll find someone again.” He put a hand o my shoulder. “Alex please, we hate fighting with you, but we’re serious. You have to stop seeing her.”

I slapped his hand away. “Fuck you, all of you.” I spat and stormed out. I was walking back home when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the callers ID, it was Karina.

I let it ring for a minute, not sure if I should pick up. Finally I pressed the ignore button. What the hell was I going to do now?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if there are any mistakes, didn't have time to proofread, but I'll edit it later.

Hope you like that chapter. What should Alex do now? Let me know in a comment. :)

Love, Felicia.