Twist of Fate

Deep Shit

Alex

As soon as the bell rang for last period, Jack approached me with all smiles. I know he’s always happy and shit but today was different. It’s almost like he’s overflowing with happiness. It’s actually quite creepy to say the least. He looks like a little kid on a date with Mickey Mouse in Disneyland. Yeah, it’s that creepy.

I gave him a look as I slammed my locker door shut. I’m going to Keeley’s house in a while but I have to wait for Zack first. I have to talk to him about something. He’s starting to get really fucking annoying about it. It was a one-time thing and it was not going to happen again. At least that’s what I thought.

“What the hell are you smiling about?” I asked Jack with a knowing smile.

He sighed dreamily and went on about a girl he met. He described her as if she was Aphrodite or whatnot. Apparently she has, and I quote, “the most gorgeous hazel eyes.” I only know one girl with hazel eyes, and I doubt anyone’s eyes can be more gorgeous than that.

As we reached the doors that lead to the fields and the parking lot, we bid goodbye to each other. He wanted to stay with me but I did not want him to know about what happened on Saturday. This made me feel guilty because he’s my best friend and we literally tell each other everything. I’ll probably tell him about it someday. Not today though. I already have to deal with Zack’s guilt trip and I don’t want to double that.

A couple of guys that I recognize from the football team were randomly throwing around a football on the nicely kept field. I can see Seth but there was no sign of Zack. He’s still probably changing so I decided to join the other guys. I am no expert in football whatsoever. I can barely throw or catch the damned egg-shaped thing. Plus, I’m not exactly the athletic type. Sure I workout sometimes but I don’t go crazy like Zack does.

I threw the ball to Carl, the team’s wide receiver, or at least I attempted to but I was way off. The stupid ball spiraled toward the opposite direction and ended up hitting a girl walking across the field. She was with a guy who looked like Matt Flyzik, the captain of the soccer team who hates me with a burning passion. I don’t know what his deal is with me but now I can name one thing. I think the girl was his girlfriend judging by how close they were walking and their body language. They looked like they were attached to each other.

Flyzik might not look as buff as Zack but he is most definitely stronger than any of the football players. They’re scared shitless of him. None of them will dare cross paths with him. So when I looked at the guys for help, they just shook their heads no and shrugged. Here goes nothing.

I walked up to them to say sorry but Matt didn’t allow me to. “What the fuck man,” he spat. He was beginning to walk toward me but the girl, whom I haven’t had the chance to say sorry to yet, yanked at his arm. “Watch where you throw that fucking egg you faggot football players call a ball.”

I scoffed, “First off, I am not a football player. Second off, at least everyone in America actually appreciates football, unlike soccer.” I might seem like I’m not scared on the outside but trust me, I screaming like a little girl on the inside. I don’t know where I got the courage to talk like that to him. The words just flew out of my mouth and I did one thing that everyone knows they should not do in front of Flyzik: insult soccer in any form or way.

The girl, whom I have yet to say sorry to, slowly turned to face me and—oh shit. We meet again. It’s her. We stared at each other for what seemed like years. She kept on tugging at Flyzik’s arm like she wants nothing more than get away from me. Ouch.

“Matt, let’s go. Your coach is probably wondering where you are,” she said to him softly as if she was almost begging.

Flyzik’s eyes bore a hole in my skull, as he snarled, “No This fucker just hit you with a fucking rubber eg and insulted soccer, which happens to be the real football.”

She begged him to just walk away one more time. All it took for her to make him agree was her puppy dog eyes.

He was about to walk away when my big mouth decided to speak for itself and said, “Thet’s right Flyzik, listen to your girlfriend and just walk away cause that’s what you do right? You’re a pussy.” I should really learn when to shut up.

His fist collided with my right eye and that’s how our brawl started. It was actually more like him beating the crap out me. If the football and soccer teams didn’t come on time I don’t know what could have happened to me. I was fucked up and he barely has a scratch on his pretty boy face. I can barely open my right eye.

Someone then brought me to the health office to get me fixed up. I didn’t realize how big the damage he has done until I saw myself on the mirror. That guy can throw a punch.

Serenity came in with Flyzik as I was trying to get the swelling on my eye down. Not long after, both the nurse and Flyzik had to leave the room. It was just Mystery Girl and I...alone...again. People should really learn to not leave us alone together.

She then helped me clean the cuts that scattered across my face. For the first few minutes neither of us said anything. It was a comfortable silence until she apologized for Matt. He’s a lucky bastard. Not every girl will actually do that for her boyfriend. Damn.

Her face was so close to mine. It’s like she’s begging to be kissed but Keeley and Matt and—. I pushed all those thoughts out of my mind as I proceeded to close the space between us. Just one last kiss and—Jack comes and ruins everything. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

“Did I interrupt something?”

YES!

“No, I was just leaving.” Serenity gave me one last smile.

As soon as she was out that door Jack broke out into a smile. The same smile he had on earlier. “That’s her! That’s the girl I was talking about!”

Oh…wait…WHAT?! Serenity is the girl Jack is crushing on? Holy shit.

And when I thought things couldn’t get much worse, Keeley walks in with her arms crossed. Saying that I’m in deep shit is an understatement.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like the story's developing slow so I'll pick up the pace on the next chapter.
And I'm sorry for the late-ish update. CSTs were this week so I've been pretty busy.