Sequel: Call It Karma
Status: Done :)

Sweet Illusions

the last measure.

“You should call him,” Madison lectured in a sing-song voice looking over at Elliot.

“No thank you,” Elliot said, flipping through her Glamour magazine as if the thought of John wasn’t plaguing her. If that wasn’t stressful enough, a doctor was going to stick a giant needle into her hipbone and suck her marrow, which apparently was quite painful to recover from. Still she sat in a bed next to her best friend with every hair in place, makeup-less like they were waiting for a pedicure.

“You look terrible in periwinkle,” Madison teased with a light laugh, referring to the hospital gown. Elliot laughed and pulled her creme cardigan tightly over her chest and put the magazine down.

“So do you! Besides I wouldn’t be forced to wear this shit if you had never gotten cancer,” Elliot retorted.

“Oh, I beg your pardon, how rude of me to get cancer, I’m soooooo sorry,” Madison shot back sarcastically with straight face until her eyes met Elliot’s and they both completely lost control. Both girls’ faces grew serious and the nervousness and worry began to set in. However, there was an element of comfort in the fact that they would have each other. Both girls were distracted when there was a light knock on the door.

Their surgeon resident walked in and what he lacked in looks he made up for in charm and wit. “Hey Mads and Ellie, how are you guys feeling today?” He said excitedly, both girls just muttered good. “Okay, here’s how it’s gonna work. Elliot we’re taking you to the OR to harvest the marrow. Then, we will take that marrow to the next OR and replace Madison’s damaged marrow. Hopefully, if the transplant takes your body will start remaking blood cells and repair itself and you can kick cancer’s ass, sound good?” He ended with a smile.

“Perfect,” Elliot smiled, anxiety pouring out of her eyes.

“Let’s do it,” Madison smiled back.

Two orderlies came in and began wheeling them to the Anesthesia room where they would be separated. They both whispered goodbye and squeezed each other’s hands before Elliot was wheeled out first.

“So are you nervous?” A very maternal nurse came up with a clip board. Her smile reminded Elliot of an angel in a movie looking down with genuine concern.

“Not really, I mean I have a lot of unresolved things with my boyfriend ‘cause we’re both super stubborn. Soooo, if you could try not to kill me till I get those things settled, I’d really appreciated it,” Elliot joked, trying to relax as the anesthesiologist came in and told her count backwards from ten as he injected a milky fluid into her IV.

The nurse began to look hazy as she laughed, “We’ll try not to!”

When Elliot awoke she turned to see a thin blonde waking up in the bed next to her and Elliot felt a breath of relief. Apparently she’d be in and out in the recovery room, but she couldn’t remember any of that. The nurse said good morning to both of them just as there was a knock at the door. Elliot saw Kennedy standing in the doorway with two bouquets of flowers and a nervous smile.

“Honey, these girls just had major procedure, I wouldn’t go around playin’ Romeo yet!” The nurse chuckled and both Madison and Elliot started giggling as Kennedy’s face lit up in a blush.

“A-Actually, she’s my sister, but this beautiful gal is my fiancee,” Kennedy smirked putting the modest bouquet of daisies on Elliot’s table and red roses to Madison.

“What? We’re not engaged, baby…” Madison shyly corrected him.

“Well not until you say yes, and don’t give me any of that bullshit about how we’re too young because I love you Madison Alexandria Harlow and I loved you since the moment you came on to me in my front lawn. All of this made me realize I don’t ever want to lose you,” Kennedy smiled pulling out a diamond ring and getting down on one knee. “What do you say, Maddie?”

“Yes! Duh! I can’t believe you couldn’t wait until I had makeup on or actual clothes. What did I tell you, Linda? This boy talks till his face turns blue,” Madison chuckled. As Kennedy leaned in for a kiss, Nurse Linda stopped him.

“Honey, you need a mask and gloves if you’re gonna touch her. Her immune system is still weak from immunosuppresants,” She said pointing to her own and got them from a cart in the hall as the couple exchanged ‘I love you’s back and forth instead of kisses. After Kennedy had on all the proper gear to touch his finance he planted a kiss on her lips with the awkward paper material between them.

“Of course, this is soooo romantic,” Madison said sarcastically, even though she could barely contain her smile. Nurse Linda just smiled and muttered ‘young love’ under her breath before walking out. Madison and Kennedy kept kissing as unromantic as it was.

“HEY! I’m still here! Guh-ross, dude! I guess you didn’t bring my peppermint ice cream,” She mumbled, still drowsy and rubbing her forehead before falling asleep and turning on her side. She didn’t see a tall skinny boy walk in with his hands shoved into his pockets.

“Hey John, she’s kind of sedated, like I should be, but I’m too excited to sleep!” Madison squealed showing the diamond ring on her left hand and squeezing Kennedy’s latex-gloved hand.

“Wow, so congratulations are in order,” John smiled and hugged Kennedy but before hugging Madison they both explained the immune system thing. “Right, so you’ll get a belated hug,” John laughed before his eyes drifted towards the brunette softly breathing and fast asleep. “How’s she doing?”

“Still spunky and breathing. What more could you ask for?” Kennedy laughed sitting back in the chair he had pulled up to the side of Madison’s bed.

“A little honesty wouldn’t hurt,” John spat bitterly causing both Kennedy and Madison to let out a dramatic sigh.

“John, I say this with all due respect, but you need to suck it up man! Elliot has been telling me how worried she is about you! I mean yes, this started out as a scheme, but you started out as a skeezy prick and Elliot started out as a heartless-slut. People change, things change. And no one is perfect! Get the fuck over it! Kennedy can’t seem to communicate and if I was choking while he was playing video games I’d probably die, but I love him!”

“Uh, thanks?” Kennedy asked looking between them, unsure whether to feel complimented or insulted.

“You know what I mean, I’m exhausted thought, so I’m going to take a nap,” Madison yawned as she adjusted her bed to lay flat. John just looked at Kennedy as if he should disagree with that Madison had just said.

“She’s right, man.” Kennedy shrugged, not letting go of Madison’s hand.

“I’m always right,” Madison whispered before she was out like a light. Kennedy and John talked for a little while longer. John occasionally looking over at Elliot, conflicted on the hope she would wake up and the terror of what he would say or feel if she did. After a couple of hours and both girls still sleeping John left, saying he would return in the morning and Kennedy tried to adjust himself in the chair to get some sleep.

Image


“ELLIOT GRANT AND MADISON HARLOW! Are you two trying to be the death of me?! Really?! How in the hell could you not tell me you were undergoing a MARROW TRANSPLANT!” Elliot’s mother came storming in, waking up both girls. Her bright blue eyes could’ve been burning flames from the anger in them. Elliot gulped and her eyes met Madison as if they were five-years-old caught with mother’s expensive makeup smeared on their face.

“Well, Mom, it’s sort of long story… how did you know we were here?” Elliot finally managed to ask. No longer groggy as the adrenaline was pumping through her blood.

“WRONG ANSWER! I got a phone call from your father, because he’s listed as an emergency contact and they have to release you into the care of said family member. So do you wanna explain yourself on how I came to look like the most incompetent mother on this side of the Mississippi?!” Mrs. Brock simply plowed on without a chance of cooling down.

“Uhh…” The girls said in unison. Suddenly Kennedy came in with a cafeteria coffee with his cheeks tinted pink, because apparently everyone in the hospital could hear Laura Brock screaming.

“Because she wanted to give Maddie a fight chance and didn’t want to worry you Laura,” Kennedy added calmly. With that Mrs. Brock’s face began to soften and then concern spread quickly through it. Elliot gave her step-brother a big thumbs up and mouthed the words thank you while her mother’s back was still towards her.

“Honey, oh God,” She sighed as she hugged Madison then latched onto her own daughter with tears pooling in her eyes. “It’s a mother’s job to worry and to take care of you! Both of you okay?” She smiled as she reached her hand to grab Madison’s as well. Laura stood up and cleared her throat before straightening out her black pencil skirt and smiled. “Okay, Ellie, let’s get you home and strong so you can come back and support Maddie, alright?” She smiled at her daughter with a look Elliot hadn’t seen in many years: pride.

“Okay,” Elliot smiled as she felt an odd elation from her mother’s support and pride. As a nurse came in with a wheel chair and taking out Elliot’s IV, Elliot looked over at her best friend and smiled. “Alright, Maddie, I love you and I’ll be back as soon as possible!”

“Enjoy the outside world! Don’t worry about me, I have my man to stand by my side,” Madison laughed lightly hitting Kennedy’s shoulder with a giant smile on her face. After a couple minutes of paper work, Elliot was being wheeled out and into her mother’s passenger seat. She saw a blue pickup truck out of the corner of her and thought she saw John, but blamed the pain killers as her mother drove her home.
♠ ♠ ♠
oooookay.
a. i suck at updating yes. sorry, just a mix of writer's block and forgetfulness. but thank you to strangers in bars. for commenting and reminding me. and fear not because i have already written the next couple of chapters :D
b. i super swear i will try to keep up with all my stories. some of them i might just delete because, i just don't "feel it" anymore.
c. it took me a while to figure out how to work this new site layout, so yes. but please comment! which is apparently part of the screen so no more links!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING AND COMMENTING :D!