Status: new

The Only Hope for Me Is You

Tough Love (Electronic Joker)

“Holy shit it’s hot today.” I sigh, wiping away some sweat with my free hand that rolled down like tear drops on my cheeks. I then used it to block out the blistering sun. We’re making our way in the general direction of the shack, although everywhere looks the same, you can’t tell which zone is which anymore. This time we’re taking a different route towards it, once again on the hunt for the siblings.

“I wonder what Poison and Cyanide got up to last night…” I smirk up at him, adjusting my aviators slightly.

“I don’t want to think about that.” He chuckles, shaking my hand lightly. I start swinging our arms, back and forth.

“They’re adorable,” I sigh, “they both deserve each other.” I see him nod in agreement through a gap in my aviators. “But me, I don’t deserve you…” he stops suddenly, tugging my arm; I stop with him and look up at him.

“Hey! Don’t you ever think that!” he squeezes my hand lightly, “If anything I don’t deserve you.” He smiles, stroking my cheek lightly. I smack him on the arm.

“Now stop it.”

He giggles and leans in to kiss me, but we come to a halt as we hear heavy footsteps and shouts of our names from behind us. We both turn our heads to see that Exploder is running towards us, arms outstretched…but where’s Atomic?

“Joker! Kobra!” he shouts, tripping over every step he took.

“Exploder!” I let go of Kobra's hand and run towards him, and when I reach him, throw my arms around him. He fall into my arms, quite literally.

“Thank god!” I whisper into his shoulder, I then take him by them and push him away, observing him. He looks terrible, jacket missing, shirt turn at all sides, cuts and bruises populating his entire body.

“What the fuck happened?” I breathe, still holding him by the shoulders. His breathing slowed a bit and his head dropped, he stared at his feet,.

“They got Atomic.” He mumbled, my hands drop from his shoulders.

“Fuck…” I sigh and rub at my forehead; Exploder looks up from his feet when Kobra arrives at my side.

“You alright man?” he asks, rubbing him on the shoulder. Exploder nods lightly, returning his gaze to his feet.

“They got Atomic.” I breathe, still rubbing my forehead, sweat drenching my fingers.

“What?!” he asks, turning his gaze back to Exploder, “What happened?” his eyes focused on him from behind his glasses, hands on his hips.

Exploder brought his head back up slowly, “It was only supposed to be a little walk!” he began, “But…but we crossed over to Zone Four…” he bit his lip.

“Jet Star told you to stay within the Zone!” I shout, I calm when I feel Kobra's touch on my shoulder, he steps in front of me.

“I know! I…I’m sorry…” he mumbles, looking defeated. I see tears swell up in his eyes and feel a little guilty.

“What happened next?” Kobra asked, taking my hand again and giving it a small squeeze. Exploder sniffed and wiped at his tears before continuing,

“…we stopped at an old diner, just for a bit to eat and someone must have reported us because we got ambushed.” I wince as I remember the evil waitress who reported me in the diner; Kobra notices and gives my hand another small squeeze and then turns back to Exploder.

“I fought some of them off but,” Exploder continued, “…but some of them surrounded me and I couldn’t get to her in time.” He started sobbing, I reach forward to hug him and he doesn’t restrain, falling into my arms like before. I stroke the top of his head and glance at Kobra.

“We’ll get her back.”

He nods and pats Exploder on the back, “Come on, we can’t do this alone. Let’s get back to the shack.”

Exploder nods and pulls away from me, wiping at his cheeks with the bottom of his torn up shirt, walking slowly ahead of us, head hanging.

“Poor kid…” Kobra sighs, taking my hand once again and leading me to follow on back to the shack.

_______________________________________________________________________
We had been walking in the same positions as we started off in for around three hours now, in complete silence, and we finally reach the shack. I breathe a sigh of relief, I don’t know if I could have lasted another hour out here. Before I know it, we’ve started running; I guess I’m not the only desperate one.

As we near the door, I spot Cyanide standing in the doorway, eyes red and puffed. I let go of Kobra's hand and run ahead of them both, running out of breath but I don’t give a shit.

I see that she’s spotted us and see her rubbing at her eyes and trying on a smile as I enter the shack, Kobra following on and Exploder waiting by the door.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I ask her, and she chuckles.

“Everything,” she sighs, “But this isn’t about me…how did you guys, you know…” I hear Kobra laugh nervously behind me; I reach over to Cyanide and rub her back.

“I’ll tell you about it later,” I say, “But for now, there’s something far more important we have to tell you.” I see that she’s holding her breath, as was I for a second, I then feel the presence of another which can only be Exploder.

“The Dracs took Atomic.” He sighed, still rubbing at his eyes, their eyes matched.

“Shit…” Cyanide face dropped. Kobra patted me on the shoulder as he walks in front of me.

“I’m gonna go and get the guys and then we’ll get going.” He turns and smiles at me, pecking me lightly on the cheek, I smile back but then spot that Cyanide’s face has really, really dropped. She looks upset at the scene, I nod at Kobra as he walks out, followed by Exploder.

She grabs me by the arm and throws me onto the sofa, “Woah, easy!” I wail, trying to stop myself from falling off of it. “What is up with you?” I ask as she jumps onto the spot next to me.

“Not important.” But I spot the upset in her voice and face. “Right come on, tell me everything about last night!” she squeals, “…did you?” she asks, I nod and feel a smirk emerging on my face. “Oh my god!” she giggles and I join in. “How was it?”

“Well, for a guy that’s so sexually oblivious he was pretty fucking amazing.” I laugh, “…and…”

“And…?”

“He said he loved me!” I squeal, she tries to act happy by squeezing my hands and jumping up and down a little, but her face…I can’t stand seeing her like this. “Okay….what happened?” I ask, she looks at me and I see tears start in her eyes.