Keep the Secret

7.

Everyone in the house got up at 7am on the dot; Gerard and Mikey were running around getting things together. Donna was making their lunch and making sure they brushed their teeth and so on. Frank sat at the table with a slice of toast and a glass of orange juice.

“Bye Frank,” the boys shouted through as they walked out the door.

“Ah peace and quiet, I’ve got to run the shop today Frank. So could you be a sweetie and help me out today?”

“Sure,” Frank smiled as he finished off his orange juice.

“Thank you, we’ll both do the crops and the chickens, and then go to the shop.” Donna suggested.

“Okay,” Frank smiled.

“Great, get yourself ready and I’ll be in the garden when you’re ready.” Donna smiled back at Frank as she walked out into the back garden.

Frank hopped off the chair and walked upstairs, he knows he should take a bath but not right now, tonight maybe. So he pulled on some clothes before brushing his teeth and combing his hair. Once he was ready he picked up a watering can from the kitchen, filled it with water and carried it outside where he saw Mrs. Way pulling out weeds from the ground. Walking over to a dry patch of land, Frank sprinkled water over it, lost in his own thoughts. He thought about what his mama would he doing, what his papa would be doing.

“Frank are you okay?” Donna had walked over to his and she noticed a tear strolling down his cheek. She wrapped an arm around him before saying; “it’s your mum isn’t it?” Frank gave a small nod before burying his face in Donna’s shoulder. “It will be okay, I promise. She’ll write to you and then I can help you so you can write back. Then when the war is cleared you can go and see her again. I promise you that,” Donna kissed the top of Frank’s head.

“I hope she is okay,” Frank stuttered as he wiped the tears from his face.

“She will be,” Donna hugged Frank one last time before letting him go. “Will you be okay? Or do you want a rest?” She suggested.

“I’ll be okay,” Frank smiled at her as he cleared his face and continued watering the plants, despite his eyes being all red and sore.

“Okay then, keep strong.” She said before walking back to her spot.

The plants took about two hours to water, and then they collected the eggs in a basket and fed the chickens. They had a small lunch and a drink before they walked down to the shop. It was 10am by this point about the time it always opens on a school day. Frank was carrying the basket of eggs while Donna was carrying a basket of freshly picked fruit.

“Can you put these up on the shelves for me, Frank?” She asked as she put the basket down by the shelf. Frank nodded as he stacked everything very neatly, before putting the baskets away.

“Okay I need to nip out for a minute Frank, can you manage here by yourself for 5 minutes?” Donna asked as she took off her skirt apron and lifted her hand bag.

“Yes, I’ll be fine.” Frank smiled as Donna walked out the shop. Frank went to the back of the shop, picked up the stool and walked behind the counter. He put the stool down and stood on it so he could see and reach everything. About 2 minutes later a man walked in, Frank recognised this man as the man Mikey and Gerard were scared off. “Good morning.” Frank smiled.

“Mornin’ lad,” he half smiled back as he took a small walk around the shop. He picked up a few oranges, some peppers and a few other vegetables that Frank couldn’t name. “How much?” he asked.

Frank looked down at a piece of paper that told him the prices; once he saw the same of the vegetables he could identify them. He quickly added them up and told the man the price.

“That was quick; you must be top for maths.” He smiled as he handed Frank over the money. Frank started putting them in a bag.

“No sir, I don’t go to school. I start next week,” Frank smiled as he handed the bag over to the man.

“Well you will be top then, good day.” He smiled at Frank as he turned around. Just then Donna walked back in.

“Oh, good morning Mr. Stewart sorry about that I had to pop out for a few minutes.” Donna smiled as she walked over to Mr. Stewart.

“No need to apologise, Frank is a very good help and excellent with his maths.” Mr. Stewart nodded his head as a sign to say good bye before walking out.

“Thank you for doing that, you can stay behind the till if you would like? I’ll be here if you need some help.” Donna suggested.

“Okay,” Frank smiled “can I have an orange please?” He asked.

“Sure,” she handed him an orange and Frank ripped it open quicker than light.

The day passed by pretty quickly, Frank served a few customers while Donna watched at how good Frank was at maths. I guess his lack of English is made up through Maths, he seemed very keen and happy to customers, that’s a good thing. Maybe she should keep him there permanently
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update :)
I hope you like it!

Zoe xx