Status: Active :)

Just Friends

You Lost Me

“Kate, you look so different.” Zack stated, scrunching his nose.

“I am in a costume.” I stated, rolling my eyes.

“You look awesome, KitKat.” Jack replied wrapping his lanky arms around my body.

“Thanks.” I managed a laugh.

“You’re going to do awesome.” Kara added.

Then Cayla twirled over toward us in her own costume.

“Awe, look at you,” Zack cooed, lightly kissing her lips. “My girl friend is a little bird.”

Cayla playfully smacked his arm.

“Correct term is Swan.” She corrected.

“When do you guys go on?” Rian asked.

“Thirty minutes until curtain.” I replied. “Where is Lex?”

“I have no idea.” Jack shrugged. “Do you want me to walk you back there?”

I nodded my head as Jack wrapped his arms around me tightly before we walked backstage.

“Do you think that he’ll show?”

“I sure hope that he does.” Jack replied. Although he sounded a little panicked.

“Should I call him?” I asked as we reached backstage. We walked in, and the girls were all already dressed. They were putting on their make-up.

“Yeah, I think that you should do it,” Jack laughed. “I’m going back to the guys, okay?”

I nodded my head, and received a small kiss from Jack before he left me.

Again, girls watched my carefully but I rolled my eyes.

I walked over to my bag, fishing my phone out of it. I dialed Alex’s number and he picked up on the third ring.

“Hello?” He asked, slightly out of breath.

My heart dropped to my stomach.

“Hey…Lex…” I trailed off.

“Katie! How is my little ballerina?”

“I'm about to go on stage, and wondering where my best friend is.” I groaned.

I heard Alex muttering, and a girls voice that I assumed belonged to Lisa.

“I’ll be there soon!”

“Kay.” I replied sadly and hung up just as Cayla waltzed into the room.

“Hey, biffle.” She stated, and I tried to smile. “What’s wrong, doll?”

“Alex.” I sighed heavily. “I’m done with his shit.”

“What happened this time?”

“He forgot about tonight.”

“He did?” Her eyebrows raised. “Lex never forgets.”

“Yeah, well…he did,” I stated. “And now I’m really pissed off.”

“I’m sure that he didn’t meant too…” she trailed off uneasily.

“Sure.” I scoffed. “He was with Lisa. Since when does she come before me?! I mean, I’ve known him since I was born!” I felt on the verge of tears.

“Don’t cry,” Cayla instructed before she wrapped her arms around me. “It will be okay. If he’s putting her before you, you can put Adam ahead of him.”

“I can, and I will.” I stated. “Come on, we’ve got a crowd to wow.”

*

“That was great!” Cayla stated before hugging me tightly after my final dance performance. “They’re so loud!”

I felt a blush creep up on my cheeks.

“Come on, Cay. It’s time for curtain call.” I replied, pulling my friend back toward the stage as the curtain was raised again.

After bowing, I caught a few flowers that they crowd tossed, and I looked over at my friends. My eyes roamed the group of friends in search for the only one I wanted to see. My eyes never found him, and a rush of sadness took over my entire body. I felt my breath become uneven as tears spilt over my eyelids. I forced myself to smile to make it look like they were tears of joy. They were complete opposite. He hadn’t showed up like he said that he would. He actually put her before me. This is the final straw.

“You where incredible!” Kara giggled, hugging both Cayla and me.

“Thanks, Kara.” I replied, tears still coming down my face. “I’m so happy that I’m crying.” I laughed.

Rian smiled and handed both Cayla and I flowers before hugging each of us.

“You were great, babe.” Zack stated, handed her the roses that he bought before the show. He hugged me. “I didn’t know that either of you could dance like that.”

I half smiled.

“I’ve been dancing for years.”

“Only two for me,” Cayla laughed. “She drug me here,”

“I did.” I nodded.

“We’re going out for pizza. Do you want to come?” Rian asked me.

“Nah, my parents are coming to get me.” I declined. “They said something about wanting to talk to me.”

“Ooh, okay.” Zack nodded before they all hugged me and left.

Well, all expect for Jack.

“What’s up, Jacky?”

“It’s because he didn’t come, right?”

“Yeah…” Slowly I nodded. “It hurts me, because he chose her over me.”

“I know.” Jack sighed, hugging me tightly. “I’m sorry about him.”

“It’s fine.” I lightly laughed, and allowing the tall boy to pull me off of the ground before sitting me back down.
“See you Monday.”

I nodded and smiled.

“Bye,” I waved as Jack backed out of the otherwise empty dressing room. I sat down at my makeup station, and I felt my tears increase. Black eyeliner streaks made their way down my cheeks, and onto my neck. My white outfit would get stained, but I didn’t care. I would pay for dry cleaning if it meant I could just sit here and cry. I rested my elbows up on the counter, and I cried into my hands.

“Katie!”

I looked up in the mirror to see Alex standing there with a bouquet of flowers from my mom’s shop. Slowly, I stood up from my makeup counter, and I turned around to face him. I crossed my arms tightly over my chest.

“I’m so fucking sorry.”

“No you aren’t, Alexander.” I replied harshly. “If any ounce of you ever cared, you would have been here before anyone else.”

“Katie…” He trailed off. “I got here as soon as I could.

“No you didn’t, Lex. You begged me to never put anyone before you and I agreed, but then you put Lisa before me.”

“That’s not fair.”

I felt more tears spring for my eyes.

“Yes it is! You’re a fucking jackass, and I hate you.” I yelled. “You said that you wouldn’t miss this for the world, but you did! You missed the most amazing moment of my life where people were clapping for me, and our friends were handing me flowers. They were here, but you’re the only one I wanted!” I stomped my foot. “You’re too late this time, Alex.”

Alex started crying too. The tears spilt over his eyes, and he slowly walked forward. He sat the flowers on my makeup counter, and kissed my forehead before he left the dressing room without another word.

And that was how Alexander lost me as his best friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Boom!

Thoughts???

xoxo Rae Marie