Status: Active :)

Just Friends

First Day of High School

"Rian!" Alex called as soon as he saw the mop top drummer.
I laughed and rolled my eyes as Alex left my side to greet one of his best friends.

"Dude, I saw you last night. Why so excited?!" Rian joked. "Hey, Katelyn."

"Hi." I smiled and waved slightly.

"How was your summer?"

"Rather relaxing without Lex around." I told him.

"Awesome!" He smiled his thousand watt smile. "What can I get you guys?"

"I want a vanilla milk shake!" I exclaimed as I looked at Alex.

He flipped his wavy hair out of his eyes.

"Sure."

"What about you?" Rian asked.

"I don’t want anything." Alex shrugged.

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Okay, that’s $2.45."

I went to get my money from my jean shorts, but Alex stopped me.

"Here, I’ve got it." He stated as he handed Rian the money.

Rian gave him a odd look too, but returned his change anyway. He mixed my milkshake, and I stood there awkwardly with my best friend.

"I could have plaid, Lex."

He shrugged.

"I know. I just wanted to, I guess."

"Hmm..." I tapped my chin. "Who are you and what have you done with Lex?"

"Ha-ha, very funny." He rolled his eyes. "Just be a happy little kid, okay?"

I scowled at him.

"Here, Katelyn." Rian laughed as he walked back up to us.

"Thanks." I laughed in return. I took my milkshake, and I turned back to Alex. "Can we stay here?"

Alex rubbed the back of his head nervously.

"Um...how about we go take a walk in the park?"

"I...uh...okay?" I slowly agreed.

As we walked out, Alex held the door open for me. The gesture was odd for him, but it was nice nonetheless.

"Katelyn?" Alex said randomly as I drank my milkshake. I looked up at him through my naturally blonde bangs. He just looked at me for a few minutes. "Can I ask you something?"

I slowly nodded, and removed my lips from the sweet liquid.

"Yeah..."

"Do you...do you like ever...."

"Spite it out."

"Do you ever think that....that science is the worst subject ever?!" He rushed the words together.

I busted out laughing so hard that my sides were hurting.

"What?!" I managed to ask.

"You know...science? Living organs and shit like that." He laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his head with his hand.

"Are you okay, Lex? School doesn’t start for another four days, and you’re asking me about science?"

"Just...forget it." He sighed, letting his hand drop. "Can we go to the park?"

"Sure." I shrugged and followed my best friend to the park. We walked over to the swings and sat down. I started to swing slowly beside him. "Honestly, Alex...what in the world is this about?"

"Nothing." He mumbled.

"Alex, will you please stop doing that? It’s your first day back, and we’re already fighting. I didn’t expect it to be this way."

"Me either."

"Well let’s fix it." I laughed.

"I don’t know if we can."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Katelyn, have you had your first kiss yet?" He asked me suddenly.

My eyes grew wide.

"N-no."

"I heard about that Nathan guy." He stated in a rather rude tone. "Did he kiss you or not?"

I shook my head, and looked at my best friend.

"No, he hasn’t. We hung out like twice, and he’s a year older."

"I know who he is." Alex rolled his eyes.

"Why are you asking..."

"I don’t want you to have your first kiss with someone to be uncomfortable."

I laughed.

"And what do you want me to do? Kiss you?" I replied as I laughed loudly.

"That would make me feel better." Alex almost whispered.

I stopped, and I looked at him.

"Lex, are you serious?"

"You know, I was just suggesting it, because your first kiss could be awkward because you don’t know what to do."

I rolled my eyes.

"It can’t be that hard."

"Oh well. I was just looking out for you."

"Um...thanks." I mumbled.

Awkward conversations are the worst.

 

 

*

 

 

"Do you have everything for movie night?" I asked Alex over the house phone.

"Yeah." He sighed heavily.

"What are we watching this time?" I asked curiously.

"I was thinking Finding Nemo?"

"Sounds fun!" I exclaimed. "Last night of freedom."

"Don’t remind me." He laughed. "See you in a minute."

"Kay," I replied. "Bye, Lex."

"Bye, Katelyn."

I hung up the phone, and then I put on Alex’s old gym shorts that were five times too big. I put them on over my black soffee shorts. I kicked on my flip flops, and then I walked out of my room.

"Katelyn?!" My mom called from the kitchen.

I slowly walked toward the British voice.

"Yeah, mom?" I asked.

"Don’t stay over at Alexander’s house too late."

I rolled my eyes.

"Mom, they live next door. If I forget to come home, I could always walk back over here before school tomorrow."

"Okay." She smiled. I hugged her tightly before walked out of the kitchen. "I love you."

"Love you!" I yelled back before I jogged over toward the door. I walked out of my house, and swiftly over to the Gaskarth’s home. I didn’t knock, but I walked inside. "I’m here."

"I know." Alex stated as he jogged down the stairs. "Hey, Katelyn." He laughed and pulled me into a huge hug. I gladly accepted and then returned the same type of hug to my best friend.

"Last night of summer."

"I know." He groaned, still hugging me.

He let go all too quickly.

"Come on, let’s go watch these fish." I joked as I headed toward his room.

"Coming." He chuckled.

 

*

 

"Don’t make me go in there!" I shouted dramatically from Alex’s passenger seat in his car.

"You are such a drama queen." He shook his head.

I stuck out my tongue at him.

"Shut it."

"High school isn’t bad. Come on, you’ve got Rian, Jack, and I. How could it suck?"

"Um...you’re two grades above me."

"So?"

"Who am I going to talk to all day?" I asked.

"Make friends!" He encouraged. "Get out of my car before I drag you into that ugly ass building."

I nodded, and slowly got out before Alex. I cradled my books and bags close to my body. Alex got out in a slow motion. He looked ridiculous to me, but I noticed freshman, sophomores, juniors, and even some seniors gawking at him. Alex just smirked, and shut his car door with his book-bag. He looked at me, and smiled widely. Alex surely did enjoy this attention. I shook my head, and started to walk to his side. Remember those girls I was talking about? Yeah, they were sending daggers at me.

"Wow, your fan club sure is welcoming." I snorted sarcastically.

Alex chuckled, and motioned for me to follow him. I walked closely behind my best friend as he greeted nearly everyone in the entire school. I felt more relieved when I spotted a mop top and skunk hair. Jack and Rian were waiting at Alex’s locker for us.

"Katelyn!" Jack shouted when I was halfway down the hall.

People turned to see what the good looking lanky boy had shouted.

"Jack!" I chuckled as he ran up to us. First he hugged his best friend, and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"Mwah!" He made the funniest kissing sound.

Alex rolled his eyes, but hugged him back.

"Where’s my welcoming hug?" I joked.

"I was getting there! Chill!" Jack joked back with me before he hugged me tightly.

"Alright, stop squashing my best friend." Alex playfully pulled Jack from my arms. Alex protectively put his right arm over my shoulders like he normally does. I drifted off in my own thoughts as they talked off some dumb guy stuff. I watched people as they walked the halls. One girl with short brown hair and eyes looked up at me, and I smiled at her. She waved back.

Maybe I can have another friend besides Alex.

"Was that the bell?" I asked Alex.

"Sure was," He laughed. "Where is your first period?"

"It’s Honors English with Mrs. Jones."

"Let me walk you."

"Okay," I shrugged. "Bye guys." I waved to Rian and Jack.

"Bye." They both replied with small smiles on their faces.

"I’ll catch up with you guys later." Alex called over his shoulder as he guided me under his arm toward the correct room. "Make friends, okay?"

I nodded slowly.

"What if they hate me?"

"It’s not possible to hate you." He laughed. I pouted at him. "Enough of that! Come hug me."

I rolled my eyes but I wrapped both of my arms tightly around the older boy’s torso.

"Thanks, Lex."

"Anytime." He laughed as we pulled away. "I’ll see you at lunch."

"See you then." I politely smiled. "Bye, Lex."

"Bye." He laughed one more time before we parted ways.

I walked in to see some girls from last year talking up front, and some that came from another middle school in the district. I sat down in an empty desk.

"Hey."

My head shot in the direction of the voice. It was the girl with dark hair and eyes.

"Hi. I saw you this morning, didn’t I?"

She nodded.

"I’m Cayla Hart."

I smiled back at her.

"I’m Katelyn McCormick."

"Awesome." Cayla laughed. "Nice Blink shirt."

I looked down at
it
, and nodded.
"Thanks. It’s my best friends favorite band." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh..."

"My best friend is a guy." I quickly added. "I think that you’re the first girl that I have me that knows who Blink is anyway."

" Seriously?!" She gasped. "Looks like we are going to get along just fine."

I nodded.

"I think I just found a new best friend."

"Me too." Cayla agreed with a laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter's up already! Woo!

Comment please?

xoxo Rae