Status: Complete

The Rebel's Apprentice

Chapter Twenty Four

I didn't bother going to school the next day. I didn't feel like it. I left in the morning, so not to cause suspicion, but redirected myself in the direction of the tracks. I didn't want to face anyone with the knowledge and embarrassment that I couldn't keep hold of my boyfriend with barely a week behind us. I felt betrayed, and helpless and weak and ashamed. Ashamed that I'd let a boy reduce me to this mess.
I sat alone in the carriage we always sat in and moped. All I could do at this moment was lick my wounds and feel sorry for myself.

“-crazy bitch, claiming to be his girlfriend,” laughed a voice as it drifted into earshot. I frowned and crept to the door. I peeked out and held in both the whimper and urge to run over there and kick the shit outta her.

“Yeah, I know that bitch,” came the reply. Erin was walking over to a distant carriage. The guy beside her wasn't Ethan. I didn't recognise him from the behind.

“How do you know her?” Erin asked as she got on her knees and felt around under the carriage.

“You kidding? The little whore broke my nose-” I clamped my hand around my mouth to prevent the gasp. I slid away from the door and hid in the carriage. His hair was different. He'd cut the Mohawk and let his hair grow to an even length. It was also a sensible mousey brown. I listened on, hardly able to hear them over the sound of my heart hammering against my eardrums. “-Ethan kicked the shit out of me when he found out I tried to drug her.”

“Really?” mused Erin. “Maybe she is his girlfriend then. Okay, this could be fun. Johnny, you sure you hid those drugs down here?”

“I swear it.” Erin grunted and then laughed. She must have found the drugs.

“You, sir, are a star. Hey, maybe I can get Ethan to spill the girl's home address. Then you can get her out the picture for me. Can't have him getting girlfriends. He's mine.”

“Do you think he'd give it?” Johnny asked hopefully. My hand, still trapped over my mouth, was trembling. Johnny should be serving one year for possession. How did he get out? Did Erin break him out?

“Pfft,” Erin scoffed. “The kids so junked up on my shit that he'll do anything I tell him. He's a natural at it. He'd make a great dealer one day.”
Was that it? Was she moulding him into her own personal drug mule? How dare she?

“Best get back,” Erin said. 'don't like to leave him alone for too long. He's wondered off too many times. Probably to see his silly girlfriend. If the dumb bitch knew what was best for her, she'd stay the hell away.” She was going back to him. Where ever she had Ethan, that's where she was headed. I had to follow. I had to know where he was and try and get him out, I just had to. This was my only chance to find him. I couldn't pass it up.
I waited till they were walking off, parting ways, getting smaller in the distance until I slid out of the carriage and stealthily hurried after Erin.
Don't worry, Ethan. I'm coming.

***


By the time Erin pulled a set of keys from the pocket of her sleeveless leather jacket, heavy, grey clouds had darkened the sky, threatening to rain at any moment. Typical.
I was hidden behind a tree. She hadn't noticed me following her.
She shut the door behind her and I crept forward. A motel. That's where she had him hidden. A sleazy motel with, no doubt, stained sheets and cockroaches in the bathtub. I peeked in through the front window. Erin was at the small table to one side. She was going through the bag of drugs she had picked up at the tracks. I hurried around to the back, hoping there was another window.
There was. Luck was on my side, for the time being. I looked in through the dirty, slimy window and my heart quickened.
Tangled in the sheets of the messy motel bed, shivering, was my boyfriend. He looked a mess and my heart broke at the sight. He had a cut and a bruise on his face. She hurt him? Anger warmed me from the inside. He wasn't safe with her. I had to get him out. Now I'd found him, I knew I'd never have the strength to walk away and leave him like this.
I tried the window desperately. At first it wouldn't budge. I kept at it and eventually it slid open enough for me to slip in. I dashed silently to his side and crouched so my face was level with his. I gently shook him. He was damp with sweat. What was she giving him? I tried to ignore his naked torso. I could only hope he had his jeans on still.

“Ethan!” I whispered desperately. I put a hand to his forehead. He was burning up. I swallowed back my dry panic and shook him again, a little more violently this time. “Please wake up, Ethan. Please! It's me. It's Alice. Wake up!” He heaved a long sigh and cracked open an eye. His eyes were bloodshot. He stared at me a moment. Then he frowned, recognition touching his eyes.

“Muffin?” he whispered. I seized one of his hands in both of mine and kissed it.

“I'm here. I'm here Ethan.” He looked scared.

“Leave,” he whispered. I shook my head and blinked back the tears. I couldn't crumble now. Not now. I had to be strong.

“I'm getting you outta here,” I told him. Ethan shut his eyes. He looked pained.

“I don't want to see her hurt you,” he groaned. “Please go now, Alice. Please. Do it for me.” Again I shook my head and gripped tighter to his hands.

“I'm not leaving you. Not like this.” I let the tears fall. I hated seeing him like this. He looked so vulnerable. Nothing like his usual self.
He pushed himself up into a sitting position. He looked so pale and like he was about to throw up at any moment. He looked at the shut bedroom door before turning and locking his eyes on mine. He reached his hands out slowly and weakly held my face.

“If she finds you here, baby, she will hurt you,” He told me matter of factly in a desperate whisper. I didn't register any other words past baby. I melted inside. I was his baby. How could I leave him? I loved him. Ethan shut his eyes and pressed his forehead to mine. His long hair was limp and, again, damp with sweat. “I can't protect you and I can't watch her hurt you. Please go.” I pressed my lips to his and gently kissed him. It felt so nice to have him back in my arms.

“Then I'll protect you,” I whispered into his ear. I had already eyed the random wooden baseball bat on the bedroom fall. Probably what she'd used on Ethan. I stood and walked to the bat. Ethan's eyes lazily followed me and widened as I picked up the bat and gripped it between both my fists.

“Can you walk?” I asked him. He pulled back the sheets and I breathed a sigh of relief. He had jeans on. He swung his legs out of bed and looked around the floor. He grabbed his grey hoodie and slipped it on. He zipped it only half way so I his bare chest was still visible. I tried not to let it distract me, but it was hard. Ethan looked up at me and attempted a smirk. He caught me looking and winked. I smiled back. That was more like the Ethan I loved.
He tried to stand, but wobbled and fell back on the bed.

“If you can get yourself out that window,” I said in a steady voice, not removing my eyes from the bedroom door. “I'll take care of the rest.”

“What are you going to do?” he panicked. I shrugged and grinned at him.

“I'll do what I do best . . . break some noses.” He smiled back at me. I was off guard when the door opened and Erin simply stared at me. I jumped and raised the bat and stood my ground. I could feel Ethan's frightened eyes darting between us.

“so you must be the girl who called me a poisonous bitch?” pondered Erin with a sickening, winners grin. I swallowed the rapidly growing mountain in my throat. Her eyes glittered with spite and malice. “You want to say that to my face now?” I shrugged with fake nonchalance. “You're still a poisonous bitch. Look what you've done to Ethan.” I was angry and it was now showing in my voice. Erin stepped forward.

“I'm making him stronger.” She narrowed her eyes.

“Stronger?” I spat venomously. “He can barely stand!”

“His tolerance will grow. Next time he'll be able to take a lot more. Little amounts will no longer effect him.”

“There wont be a next time Erin. You're not going to be seeing him again,” I objected firmly. Erin raised a fine eyebrow at me and folded her arms.

“Is that so?” she quipped. “I don't think Ethan is in any position to disobey me.”

“Why?” I growled.
She smirked. “Cause now I have leverage over him.” Her eyes captured his. “I now have your girlfriend.” I looked at Ethan, feeling dread and uncertainty for the first time. Ethan glared hatefully back at her.

“You wont . . touch her,” he said in a weak, staggered voice.

“I wont have to if you do as I say.” Ethan sighed and lowered his head, defeated. I span back to Erin, furious.

“Why are you doing this to him?” I shouted. “You're killing him!” Erin laughed dryly.

“I'm perfecting him.”

“You're a sick, delusional piece of trash!” Her smile fell. She stepped forward and I raise the bat.

“And you are foolish. I have my plans for you. I could easily get you out the picture . . and I have.” I heard the front door shut and felt my stomach turn cold and drop to my feet. “I’ve only been humouring you this far to stall you. I knew you were here. Saw you following me here.” She smiled sweetly, wickedly. Behind her appeared Johnny who grinned when he saw me.

“No,” Ethan gasped behind me. “Fuck, no.” I backed away, finally cold with fear. This wasn't good. The bat felt suddenly heavy in my hands. Too heavy to lift.

“She's yours,” said Erin carelessly. Johnny's smile widened and he stepped around Erin in the doorway, taking one big step towards me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alice fights back. How much do we love Alice with balls? :P

So I noticed this one is a lot shorter than normal. Sorry about that.
Only a couple chapterds left now. :(
Don't want it to end. I've grown attatched to Ethan and Alice. But who knows. This may not be the last we see of them. Just as long as I can come up with a decent enough story line. :)

Okie Smokie