‹ Prequel: Adolescent

Mature

Best Men

"But, it's boys only!"Jimmy pouted.

Matt's loud cackles errupted on the other end of the phone. Jimmy was having a guys only barbeque as a prebachlore party. He had called all the guys and explained the situation, but Matt called last minute with one last request. He wanted to bring Angela along.

Dude, you sound like you're five years old! It's one chick. Besides, what am I supposed to do? Leave her at my house alone?

"Yes."Jimmy kicked roughly at his wooden floors."She can watch some movies or something."

That's cruel, Jimmy!

He chewed hard on his bottom lip as Angela could be heard from within the background. He opened his mouth to speak, but quickly snapped it shut. Angela wasn't angry, but she was also trying to persuade him into letting her go. He did miss Angela - she did help a lot on the tour, but a bachlore party, even a pre one, was for guys only. No exceptions.

Jimmy let his head fall slightly and sighed quietly. She did deserve it, even if Jimmy didn't want to think that way. In a hushed, defeated tone, he said, "Fine. I guess she can come. So long as she brings some more beer. I kind of ran out."

Thankyou, Jimmy!

He chuckled lightly and responded with, "You're welcome, Angela."

Thanks, Jim. We'll be there soon.

"Talk to you in a bit, Matt."Jimmy snapped his phone shut and shoved it lazily into his front pocket.

He opened his sliding glass door and was greeted by the hard core sound of Pantera. Brian, Zacky, and Johnny were sitting back and enjoying the last of the alcohol Jimmy had at the party. He closed the door behind him and made his way toward the grill. He planned on cooking, one hand and all. Johnny snickered slightly as he walked by and earned an odd stare from Jimmy.

"What, short shit?"Jimmy picked up a spatula and waved it in his direction."Never seen a cripple cook before?!"

"It's just that,"Johnny smirked."I'm not used to seeing you waddle your way through things."

"I don't waddle!"Jimmy frowned.

"You know what I mean."Johnny got from his seat and took the spatula from Jimmy's hand."Move over, cook. Johnny's in town."

"I don't think so, short shit."Jimmy snatched the spatula back and slapped him on the head."The last time you almost cost me my house."

"It was a small fire!"Johnny defended.

"A small fire is a few coals on the ground. You set my screen house on fire!"He furrowed his eyebrows together, wondering how Johnny couldn't get the point.

"That was one time. I've learned a lot from then."Johnny smiled proudly.

"Johnny,"Jimmy chuckled slightly."it's been a few months since then. Go enjoy your beer. I'm going to cook."

"Aw, man."Johnny kicked his foot at the ground before scampering toward Brian and Zacky.

Jimmy laughed quietly before setting down the spatula and opening the grill. He began to pick and tear at the clear plastic wrap over the box of burgers. He was getting slightly angry, however, when he couldn't seem to get it open. He looked in the direction of the guys, but he didn't want to ask them for help with something so simple.

Jimmy huffed quietly before continuing to pick at the plastic wrap. The sound of a car pulling into his drive way caught his attention, but he didn't turn around. Only when his back fence opened and revealed both Matt and Angela, did he turn. He waved in their direction before turning back to the box of burgers that refused to open for him.

He felt a warm hand on his shoulder and found Angela by his side. She stole the box from his one hand and slid her nail across the thin wrapper. She pulled the plastic off and crumbled it in her hands. She gave him a warm smile before hugging him lightly. He seemed to notice over a short period of time that everyone's hugs were very light.

They were most likely afraid of hurting him or hitting his small pacer. Which in fact, reminded him of his upcoming doctor appointment. It was going to be tweaked slightly to help his heart rate. He hadn't had the pains he normally did, but his sleeping, due to the sling, and random bursts of stinging did occur once in a while. He gave her a smile and said, "Hey, Angela. Thanks."

"You seemed like you were having trouble."She snickered lightly."I can cook. I make a damn good burger."

"I don't doubt that."Jimmy laughed."I got it though, don't worry. Now that it's open, it'll be easy."

"Let me know if you need any help. I brought some alcohol, just like you requested."Angela smirked."Thankyou, Jimmy. I was hoping you'd let me come."

"Yeah, yeah."Jimmy smirked."Go enjoy the music. Devin should be here soon. He called me before Matt did."

Angela walked away from Jimmy, only to be replaced with Matt. He placed his hand on Jimmy's shoulder and squeezed slightly. Jimmy gave him his hellos before turning his attention back to the grill. He held a small light to the coals before slapping raw burgers and hot dogs onto the grill. Matt held out a bottle of beer and said, "For the cook."

"Thanks."Jimmy popped the top on the edge of the grill and stole a swig.

They conversed for a few moments until Devin's car pulled into his long drive way. A smile crawled onto Jimmy's lips as his fence door slowly opened. Devin rose his hands into the air when everyone cheered him on. Jimmy rose his spatula and shouted, "There's our man!"

Devin said his hellos before making his way toward Matt and Jimmy.

"Aw, cooking for me?"Devin smirked."Thanks for throwing me this gig, Jim."

"No problem, Dev."Jimmy smiled."If there's any way to have a party, I will."

Jimmy continued to flip the burgers and dogs until they darkened just slightly. He threw the food onto a plate before bringing them to the table. Everyone dug in and left the plates empty in no time. Jimmy sat down beside Matt and Devin before bringing his food to his lips. He munched down happily on the medium rare meat and sipped from his beer.

Devin seemed to be fidgetting slightly in his seat, but before he could ask what was wrong, Angela beat him to it. She leaned forward slightly in her seat and with an odd look, asked, "Hey, Dev, what's wrong, buddy? You seem kind of tense."

"Nothing."Devin smiled.

"Dude, you and I both know you fidget like a turrets kid when you're nervous."Jimmy said with a light chuckle.

"He plays with his labret piercing when he gets nervous."Johnny pointed out."So if something bad happens and you ask Jimmy if he did it and he just so happens to be playing with the little stud - he definately did it."

The group laughed quietly before Devin let out a sigh. There certainly was something wrong, but Jimmy didn't want to push it. He was only hoping Devin wasn't double thinking the engagement. It had been about two weeks since he had proposed, but he couldn't be getting cold feet already. Jimmy understood the nerves; he was married for a long time.

Jimmy brushed his hair from his eyes and tried to stay concentrated. Devin sipped heavily from his beer before slamming his hands down on the table. His lips curled up into a smile as he eyed down the entire table. The guys looked at eachother questioningly, as if they were thinking the same thing; what was he doing?

"Alright, I have a question for you guys."Devin finally admitted."It's important and I might cry if you say no."

He chuckled lightly; he was only trying to lighten the mood.

"Okay, out with it!"Zacky smiled.

"I want you guys to be my best men."He turned toward Jimmy and gave him a smile."But I want Jimmy as my main best man."

Jimmy choked slightly on the food in his mouth before swallowing hard. That was what had been putting Devin on edge for the last few moments? The table errupted in talk and Devin's shoulders slumped in relief. If he was expecting a no from the group, he had to be crazy. Hillari was their neise; how could they muster up a no for his question?

"Dude,"Jimmy yanked Devin into his side and tightened his arm around his neck."you are so stupid to think I would say no!"

"I have a question!"Johnny rose his hand quickly and caught everyone's attention.

All eyes turned on him as his smiled grew wider. Jimmy knew he wasn't going to have anything serious to say, so he patiently awaited his sarcastic remark.

"Does this give us another reason to have another party?"Johnny smirked.

Brian pulled Johnny into his chest as Jimmy let go of Devin. Johnny tried to push away from his friend as Brian rubbed a rough fist over his mohawk.

"Come on!"Johnny groaned."It hurts!"

"Of course it does!"Zacky shouted.

Devin looked in Angela's direction and gave her a comforting smile.

"Sorry you can't be a best man, Angela."Devin chuckled lightly.

"No problem at all. So long as you guys invite me, everything is okay."She smiled.

"Of course."Devin said.

"Brian, let go!"Johnny roughly yanked away from Brian and gave him an angry glare."I"m gonna have a head rash now!"

"Cry about it."Brian chuckled.

Johnny's eyes flickered down to his plate of food before his smile returned.

"No, you cry about it!"Johnny hit Brian's plate, causing it to fly back into his chest.

"You fucking midget, gnome ass motherfucker!"Brian stood from his seat, but before he could turn in Johnny's direction, he had already gone, laughing the entire way."I'm so sick of his shit!"

The group errupted into loud, obnoxious, stomach wrenching laughter as he took off in Johnny's direction. Jimmy clutched his hand to his stomach as he managed to muster up, "I don't know, why he, fucks with, Brian!"

"He'll learn!"Matt slammed a heavy hand on the table as he tried to catch his breath.

"The sad thing is,"Zacky began through laughter."is he really wont!"

"Christ!"Brian's screams were hidden under the wall of laughter from the table.

Jimmy sat back in his seat and wiped at his watering eyes. He was happy to know the gang had come back to life. He felt like everyone had become slightly depressed. He wasn't sure if it was him constantly ending up in the hospital, but he seemed to notice a difference. Once everyone learned about Hillari and Devin's proposal, things quickly lifted up.

And that, he could only be happy about.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you commenters;;
Violent Ecstasy
Maxxie.
um…idk
Aightball
Musicalness99
Phantom!
shelbyvengeance
Lone_Wolf
mistery gurl
Hello Fascination.
Foreveryoung14
XXKillxxJoyXX
shasha24
ForeverPlagued
Im Candy Baby
KellShadows
dawn8279
Alyx Khaos
RavenNightmare1
bloodravyn
NME_foREVer_6661

Thankyou subscribers! :D

Sorry for the uh, turrets comment.
He was making a point >.>
No pun intended guys!
Hope you liked it anyways :)