Back to Square One

California Love

“Hell yeah we wanna go to California with you!” Chelsea squealed after we broke the news to them.

We found out the next morning after my talk with Caleb - that we had to get back to California because of demands in work. Hazelyn and I had paperwork to fill out and meetings to attend. I almost forgot about our responsibilities because I felt like we were living the three years that just flew by. Minus the part that we were totally fucking in love with eachother.

“Chelsea, we have work remember?” Savannah rationalized.

Chelsea waved it off. “Come on Chelsea. We’ve never been to the west coast. Don’t you think that we should get a chance to?” she pleaded. “I mean come on. It’s a fucking free trip!” she squealed.

“Yeah, I mean Hazelyn would love to have you guys. And you can stay at my place,” I nodded thoughtfully. “Or Hazelyn’s,” I offered giving my ex a wide grin, earning a ‘shut up’ look back. I figured out that they didn’t know of her background. “I mean, aren’t you curious about how her life is back there?” I smirked.

“Ryan, shut up,” Hazelyn hissed.

“I kind of am,” Caleb chirped in. “I’m down. And you girls can take time off,” he said nodding.

“Caleb, you know I need the money,” Savannah sighed.

“Don’t worry, I got airfare and the place you’ll be staying at,” I interrupted. Savannah looked at me uneasily then back at Hazelyn whom was biting her lip. She looked like she didn’t want them to go, but at the same time I was doubting I saw the look. “For me?” I asked look at Hazelyn through my peripheral vision whose head I saw snap towards me.

“Fine,” Savannah sighed. “I’ll pay you as soon as I can though,” she added.

“No, it’s no problem,” I said as I made my way to the other room and made phone calls.

~/~/~/~/~


“Dolciani residence,” I heard a familiar voice.

“Hey Stells,” I greeted.

“Jay, what’s up?”

“Can you get the guest house at the back ready?” I asked. I had another one made a little more uphill from my parking garage. It gave me a nice view of my parking garage and a view of Los Angeles.

“Gotcha,” she said. “Oh and your friends are here,” she said.

“Which ones?”

“Frends, Kyle, Samantha and Nate,” she informed me.

“Oh awesome. They’re staying at the other half of the mansion right?” I asked.

“Yup.”

“Well awesome. Tell them we’re bringing guests.”

“We?” she asked.

“Uhh… Hazelyn and I,” I whispered shyly.

I heard her squeal. “I knew you guys would get back together!”

I frowned. “We’re not back together,” I told her.

“Oh, uhh. I’m sorry,” she stuttered.

“It’s okay. Don’t trip. It’s complicated. Anyways, we’ll be there tomorrow,” I said and hung up after bidding her goodbye.

I was about to walk back into the room where there were hushed whispers from the girls and Caleb. I could hear them whisper, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying - so I decided to walk in. I saw all of them jump a full foot away from eachother and looked like deer caught in headlights but I decided to play it off.

“I got everything taken care of,” I informed them and they just nodded.

~/~/~/~/~


“I still can’t believe you have a private jet,” Savannah said shaking her head as if it would help her grasp onto the fact. “That could get us to our destination faster than a regular plane,” she had added.

Hazelyn rolled her eyes and grabbed her bags as we made our way to our rides. I saw Kyle and my brother walking towards us as Hazelyn darted to Jason first.

“Holy fucking bitch, you’re here!” Jason gaped with an astonished look on his face.

“Jason Trey Dolciani, there is nothing holy about a bitch,” Hazelyn crinkled her nose but kissed his cheek anyways.

“I’m shocked,” Jason gaped. “First that you’re here. And second, with my brother,” he said his eyes wide.

“First, I have business to take care of, and second, your brother dragged me here,” she glared at me. I just raised my hands in surrender.

“Caleb? What the hell are you doing here?” Kyle laughed as he gave his cousin a hug.

“Well, Hazelyn invited us to come. We couldn’t refuse,” he laughed. “This is Chelsea and Savannah. A couple friends from Florida. They work at BellaBrava,” he introduced.

“Hi,” Kyle smiled at them. “This is Jason, Jay’s brother. I’m Kyle, Caleb’s cousin,” he said and shook their hands as my brother did as well.

We started walking out of the airport with our bags and making small talk. I was walking silently with Hazelyn who had a pretty nervous look.

“You okay?” I asked her as I took her huge bag from her.

“Do you think they’d hate me?” she asked.

“Who?”

“Them,” she said and nodding towards her three friends whom were engaged in a conversation with Kyle and my brother.

“Why would they?” I asked confused.

“Well, I’ve never really told them this much,” she frowned.

“Like?”

“They don’t really know of my uhm.. Family background,” she mumbled.

“You’re still on that?” I asked. She nodded and hung her head. I dropped the bags, stopping her and grabbed her hand. “Hazelyn, I get where you’re coming from and everything. But at least you know they’re your friends not because they know you’re rich and have power socially, but because you’re you. And I don’t think that the events to follow will change that. They might be kind of mad at first, and that’s the worst case scenario. Hell, they might not even mind. They’d be shocked of course,” I said with the hand motions.

“But they’re your friends. The reason that I invited them with us is because I know that you want to spend time with them. I could see the genuine friendship between you and I know that you miss them. Now please relax and enjoy this. You’re fine,” I told her sincerely. “And you’re amazing, don’t forget that,” I had said before I grabbed the bags once again and made my way to the two cars.

“You guys can take the Range Rover and Jason and I will take the Commander,” Kyle said throwing me the Rover’s keys. “Stella said everything was ready,” he informed me before closing the trunk of the latest Commander and getting into the car.

“Girls in the back,” Caleb announced as he jumped into the front seat.

“Whoa damn. Nice car,” Savannah mumbled as she took in that club-like atmosphere of the interior of Hazelyn’s vehicle.

Our drive to Beverly Hills consisted of a mini-tour of the place. Telling them about the route and whatnot. The girls were giggling and giddy about their first time visit to the west coast as they took pictures and squealed at Hazelyn.

“It’s kind of different from the vast spaces in Florida. Everything’s so flat over there,” Caleb said looking around as well.

“Yeah. You guys will be staying on the hills tonight,” I said to him with a grin.

We made our way up the hills, through the neighborhoods to our own private hill. I glanced at Hazelyn and saw that she had wide eyes and visually stiffened.

~~~Hazelyn POV~~~

The familiarity. The familiarity of every fucking street, every fucking road, every fucking neighborhood. And next thing I knew I was in front of that same gate that I came in and out of a million times in my old life.

The past few weeks have been nothing but familiarity. The familiarity of having Ryan around. Hearing his voice, being under the same roof as him. I fucking hate it!

Your deal is over, why the hell did you not leave?

I’m going to. When my friends leave.

You see, I was planning to leave after we left Florida and after I’ve finished my shit here in California. I knew in the back of my head that I was coming back, at least not for good. I’ve visited a few times since I left, but I gave myself a few weeks notice – and my mind was usually on work.

I saw Ryan’s eyes glance over at me through his rear-view mirror and I averted his gaze, looking out at the familiar maze that we were going through. The mansion came into view once again and it looked the same as it did 3 years ago. Huge, and beautiful. But familiar. I frowned at the thought.

“Where’d you score this one? Damn, I wouldn’t have to work a day in my life if I had a guy like him,” Savannah whispered to me, but Chelsea elbowed her.

My frown deepened at the thought of Savannah and Ryan hooking up. I mean, I didn’t mind. But I knew him. He would just fuck and throw. Savannah doesn’t deserve that. As a friend, I wouldn’t let her go through that either.

We came to a halt on the familiar parking lot. Though it looked bigger than it did a few years back. The Jeep Commander had stopped a few feet away from us and we all piled out.

“Holy shit, this is your place?” Savannah mumbled.

“My parents, but you guys will be staying here,” Ryan said as he subtly handed me my keys.

“Where? There?” Chelsea asked pointing towards his garage. He just laughed and shook his head and pointed up hill. I followed his finger and saw another massive mansion on the hill. It was three storey’s and it looked fucking huge on that hill.

The girls’ jaws literally dropped, but Caleb was unfazed. Though I could see that he was amazed. Their family was wealthy, yes. But not Forbes-Dolciani wealthy. Caleb had to work for his money while Ryan didn’t.

But he still chooses to.

Will you leave me alone?!

I’m turning hysterical. First, not running the opposite way the moment I saw Ryan. Second, STILL not running away from him. And third, now I’m talking to myself.

“You okay?” Ryan teased.

“I’m fine,” I hissed at him, an instinct by now. I felt guilt gnawing in my stomach, but I just pushed it away.

Just a few more days.

“Holy fuck! Guys!!!” I heard my friends’ familiar voices shout.

My lips quirked up to a smile as I took in the sigh of my friends and family. I guess there are positive things that come out of this. I just hope that I don’t break my own rules. To not get carried away…. But there is one habit that Ryan Jerome Dolciani has rubbed off on me.

Breaking Rules.
♠ ♠ ♠
ohhh and sorry, but NEXT chapter will be the merging of the two groups! it is gonna be epic! x]]]
lalalalalah. I'm sorry for not updating for a long time... Yes, I think a few days is a long time, but I've been preparing for college. I start in 3 weeks still.. OH and my parents got me a new car! xD

[Cali Cali Cali - Alyssa Bernal]