Untitled

Make a wish / Spencer Reid one shot

“Iris! Wake up baby girl!” she heard male’s voice above her head, but thought she was still dreaming, so decided not bother and just moved to the other side of her body, crawling deeper into the bed. “Castro, get up!” she heard once again and decided that this time, she will open her dark brown eyes.

“Derek? what time is it? Am I late?” she asked immediately changing her position into sitting. He laughed at her and took a place by her side on the bed. “Wait a second, how did you even get into my apartment?!” she asked another question and looked at him suspiciously.

“Oh you know, I have my ways to do magic tricks.” He replied still smiling.

“Tricks, huh? I can show you one.” She grinned and kicked him off the bed, while he wasn’t suspecting anything. When he found himself on the floor she covered her self with a quilt, waiting for his response for her little attack.

“You’ve got a lucky day kid, I won’t fight you back this time.” He said sanding up.

“You won’t?” she asked still not taking of her cover.

“Nope.” He seemed pretty convincing, so she decided to take a look at him. she slowly took off her purple quilt, showing her sleepy face and curly black hair, each in different position.

“Why?”

“Or you know what? I changed my mind!” he chuckled and within a moment got by her side and started tickling her. They both were laughing so loudly, she swore, they woke all the neighbors in the are.

“Derek! Derek I give up!” she managed to say it and put her hands up in the air as a proof. He looked at her with a triumph and let her go. He was her best friend since forever. They grew up together and even though she was a few years younger, it didn’t bother them. They loved each other as brother and sister and couldn’t imagine life without one another, so when she got the job at the BAU, they were both very excited about the fact.

“Ok, since I won, you have to do something I will ask you to do.” He said messing her hair even more with his hand, in a friendly gesture.

“I feel, like I’m going to regret it.” She sighed and got rid of his hand, trying to put her hair back, in the proper order.”

“It’s not that bad, now come on, we need to get to the kitchen.” He gave her a hand to help her get up, but when she didn’t take it, he simply raised her up and put her on the floor.

“Why do we even..” she started, but he covered her mouth with a hand.

“Don’t ask questions, girl.”

“Is…” she wanted to say something, but he did it again, only this time she was smarter and bit his finger.”

“Damn it! Remind me to take you to the vet, so he can put you a muzzle!” he said looking at his finger to see, if he has a scratch.

“Is this my task? Not to ask questions?” she asked hopefully.

“No. Now come one, we don’t have time to loose, because as you know, in thirty minutes we have to be at work.” He covered her eyes this time and started to walk her to the kitchen.

“If you push me out of my window or something, I swear, I’ll get back on you!” she joked.

“That would be a little difficult for you, considering, you’d be already in the coffin.” He replied and stopped.

“Can I look now?” she put her hands on his, hoping, she’ll get rid of them.

“Now, you will fulfill your task.” He said.

“And my task is to do what? Because you want me to strip, I’m sorry, but I have a full schedule.” She replied sarcastically.

“Make a wish, Iris.” He said making her see again, so she could now notice, that she was standing in front of a big chocolate birthday cake.

“Oh God, Derek! you remembered! Even I forgot about it!” she could feel tears of joy in her eyes. Iris turned around and closed her arms around her friend in a hug. She wasn’t lying, she really didn’t remember that it was her birthday. Lately she had so much work to do, she didn’t have time literally for anything. In some points it was good, because with no time to do anything, she had no time to think, and she’s been having those weird thoughts about one of her colleagues for some time, but she did not want to admit it.

“How could I forget? You’re twenty four now!” he squeezed her so tight, that her legs were now above the floor.

“You’re the best brother I could ever ask for.” She kissed him on the cheek and turned back to the cake. “I just hope, you didn’t make it by yourself, did you?” she sounded really worried about the fact.

“Do I look like a cook, to you?” they both laughed “Now, blow the candles and make a wish.” He ordered.

“Ok.” She closed her eyes focused on her wish. She was old enough to know, that birthday wishes, would not come true, without a little help, but still, she liked the idea.

“As far as I remember, you’re not supposed to say out loud about what you wish for, but I think I already know, so you don’t need to obey that little rule.” That comment made her open her eyes.

“Since when you’re a fortune teller?”

“Since I know the song “all you need is love.” Only in your case, it’s more like.. “All you need is Spencer.”” He started laughing and she could feel her face turning red within a second.

“I don’t need him, I’m doing fine on my own.” She said.

“Yeah, but you’ve never said you didn’t want him.” he replied smiling at her. He knew he was right, so did she, even though she didn’t want to admit it. Iris planned to say something, but just then his telephone started ringing. He checked the ID and there was a clever smile on his face.

“Hey Reid, what’s up?” he asked looking at his friend, who now was hoping to find a big object either to hide behind it, or to destroy it on Derek’s head. “Yes, we’ll be there in a few minutes, Iris needs to take a shower and get dressed.”

She could feel her kneed getting weaker. “What do you mean I know that? I’m standing right by her side at the moment. How come? Kid, you know that you’re too young to talk about sex, so I simply won’t answer this question.” He laughed and hung up, and Iris was now regretting, she wasn’t holding a knife in her hand.

“What the hell was that?!” she yelled at him as he couldn’t catch a breath.

“It’s called a joke, now get ready. It looks as your birthday party must be delayed.”

“Dirty, little rat!” she couldn’t move.

“You don’t need to introduce to me, now get!” he rushed her and she did as he said. This whole situation could be quite funny, if only Spencer understood the joke. They both knew, he didn’t and that was a thing that worried her most.

“Derek, just promise me one thing!” Iris said, when she disappeared behind bathroom’s door.

“Anything for you cutie.”

“Don’t tell them about it.” She was now looking at her twenty four year old self in the mirror.

“You got it.” He understood what she meant, without a farther thought. Iris was rather a shy person and still getting to know BAU team. Being in a center of attention wouldn’t make her feel any better.

***

They got to the office ten minutes after the team gathered in the round table’s room.

“We’re going in, or is it better to wait here for the to come out?” she asked following Derek on his way out of elevator.

“You’re kidding? We’re definitely going in.” he replied.

“Don’t you think this will look weird? You know, we’re both late and coming together and the thing you told Spencer…” she started and wanted to go on with her thoughts, but he just sopped, turned to face her and said:

“Iris, calm down. It’s alright, it’s not like we started world war III and you can be sure, that your boy is still going to want you, whether I said that or not. Besides, he’ll forget about it.”

“Derek, he has a photographic memory!” she exclaimed and immediately covered her mouth. Why did I even say that?- she thought and Derek simply smiled to her.

“I knew you cared.” He grabbed her hand and dragged her to the rest of the team as she was still thinking about what she just said.

“Sorry, we’re late. Traffic.” Derek explained taking a seat, which made Iris take the only one left, next to Spencer. She smiled at him, but didn’t get anything in return. He pretended not to see it. She felt as though she could faint with all those bad energy, that was now travelling around them both.

“As I said love birds.” Garcia said looking at Iris and Derek. girl felt even worse and could feel that Spencer was looking at her with a corner of his eye. “Case is local. Police found three bodies buried in a park, coroner said, that killings must’ve take place every three week. We were lucky, we could still identify the victims, decomposition was… oh, anyway, it’s your job to look at it, not mine.” She finished her sentence and handed the files.

“What connects them beside time period?” Derek asked raising his head to look at Rossi and Hotch, sitting on the other side of the table.

“The way they looked before death. They were almost exactly alike.” He answered and just then there were photos of three girls on the big screen. Indeed, they were very similar.

“Rossi, Prentiss, you’ll go to talk with the coroner.” Hotch gave the first order. “Reid, you’ll take care of geographical profile. Morgan you will talk with family of last victim, I will go to see the officer and visit the crime scene.” Everybody begun to stand up to leave to their duties.

“Um… Hotch, you forgot about me?” Iris asked.

“You will take care of some reports. Once again read the files to see if there is something we didn’t see before.” Her boss answered and left, before she could say anything else.

***

Iris was sitting at her desk reading the reports for tenth time, she was already dizzy because of that. She raised her head to glance at Spencer who was now walking around the map, to see if he did everything correctly. He looked so cute, when he wasn’t sure of something. They both were so much alike. She even called him her own, personal encyclopedia and to surprise of everyone he was ok with that. Because of that they were both shy, they understood each other really well and quickly became friends, but lately she felt like this wasn’t enough. Like she needed him as someone else, than just a friend.

“Make yourself comfortable.” Emily placed a coffee on Iris’s desk, which made her jump on the chair. “Wow, hold on, I didn’t want to scare you.” She smiled at the girl still searching through the reports.

“You didn’t at least not that much.” Iris admitted and took a sip of a coffee she just received. “It’s perfect.” She said.

“No doubt. Any luck with those?” her older friend pointed at the pieces of paper on the desk.

“No. I feel like there’s something I simply can’t see. I’m sure there is.”

“Maybe you could use a rest? Your eyes would probably appreciate it…” Emily started and wanted to say something more, but her telephone didn’t let her. “Yes Hotch? Ok, I’ll be right there.” She hung up and looked back at Iris. “Got to go, Hotch has got something for me.” She stood up and started walking away.

“Have fun in the field.” Iris said quietly, hoping she didn’t even hear it.

“Oh, Iris, as for THIS case.” Emily started and quickly pointed her head at Spence, which made Iris blush. Am I that obvious?- she asked herself another question in her mind as Prentiss was finishing a sentence “just ask. It won’t kill you.” She winked at her and disappeared behind elevator’s door.

“Will it?” Iris whispered looking at Spencer once again.

***

“People, go home, get some rest. I need you all ready to start fresh tomorrow.” Hotch said letting his team go home. Everybody spread around the office to gather their things and get ready to leave, the only person who wasn’t planning on that was Iris. She still felt as though she missed something and couldn’t help it, but was really worried about the fact.

“Kid, you need a ride?” Derek asked her as she was making herself comfortable back behind desk.

“No, I’m fine, thank you.” She smiled at him and opened first files once again.

“Are you sure? I mean come one, it’s your birthday. Besides, you could use some rest, fresh eye would do you good.” He insisted.

“It’s ok. I know what I’m doing and I want to finish it. Go, you don’t want to get into the traffic.” She rushed him.

“Traffic? Baby it’s almost midnight, you see, you lost track of time.” He was trying to persuade her to go home, but she was too determined.

“Just leave, Morgan, I really want to finish it.” She said and he didn’t reply. He knew, that when she called him by his last name it meant to stay away. Everyone left and she was all alone. Almost all lights out, expect for one on the hallway and one on her desk. She was feeling as though she could fall asleep any minute. Suddenly, she heard noises behind. She slowly turned around to find the reason if them, but didn’t see anyone.

“Hello? Is anyone here?” she asked, but didn’t her an answer. she assumed her mind was playing ricks on her and got back to work, but just a fee seconds later she heard another noise.

“Who is it?” she asked again, this time taking out her gun. She quietly stood up and started walking to the hallway, still nothing. she sighed and turned back to her desk, when she screamed out of fear.

“Spencer! God, you scared me half to death!” she said hiding her gun back.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to.” He was holding two coffees in his hands. “I hope you’ll like it.” He said handing her one cup.

“What? Coffee? Always.” She took a sip and was pretty surprised with his behavior.

“No, I meant this.” He moved his head, pointing at a small object wrapped in a nice paper, placed on her desk.

“What is this?” she asked slowly taking it to her hands.

“Open and see.” She did as he said and had to held a loud laugh of laughter when she saw a new CD of Nickleback.

“Wow, you.. you didn’t have to…” she stood up and gave him a tight hug. She didn’t want to change her position, but knew, that would be suspicious.

“I know, I wanted to. After all, birthday’s only once for a year.” He smiled shyly.

“I really appreciate you remembered.” She said.

“I couldn’t forget. We’re friends, right? And friends do such things for each other.” Those words were cutting her heart.

“Friends, right…” she whispered sadly. They were both remaining silence for a few moments, until he broke it.

“What are you even doing here?”

“Just reading the files, again.. I feel like there’s a pattern I can’t notice.” She sighed.

“Do you need some help?” he asked placing a chair next to hers.

“Sure.” She smiled, but deep inside, felt as though she was just about to cry.

They were now both trying to see the invisible, when she said something that was bothering her for a whole day.

“Listen, Spence, about what Morgan said this morning..” she started and he cleared his throat. He only did this, when he was nervous. “I.. I just wanted you to know, that we didn’t…” she said it, but still didn’t feel relieved. Spence raised his head to look at her. God, you’re perfect- another thought rushed through her head.

“You don’t need to explain…” he stared. And started nervously moving his fingers.

“I know, but I want to.” She never even suspected, she would be so open with him.

“Why?” he asked, but wanted to take it back, as he saw shock on her face.

“Because.. because I didn’t make a birthday wish.” She said finally. Now he was the one who seemed surprised.

“You still have about.. a minute.” He looked at his watch.

“Say this with me, ok?” she asked and he nodded, not even sure, what they were about to do.

“Your birthday wish is…” he started as she closed her eyes.

“You.” She said with a shaky voice, not even sure if this was happening for real. She was even more confused, when she felt his lips pressed to hers.

“I’m.. I’m sorry.” He said after one clumsy kiss.

“You can do it more often..” she said with a small smile.

“You.. um.. you think that now would be too fast to do this again?” he asked looking right into her eyes and that comment he seemed as a really confident man.

“I think this would be perfect timing.” She said and placed her hands on his neck, pulling him closer. Even though they both were tired with a case, right then, they felt like they just woke up from a terrible nightmare and got to their own version of paradise. As for Iris, she once again believed in the power of birthday wishes.