Sequel: Notbroken
Status: on to the sequel :)

A spotlight of my own

The moment of truth.

I woke up that Thursday morning at 5:30. Bobby was still asleep facing the other way so I moved as quiet as possible. The Palms offered free cabs to the airport therefore I didn’t see any reason to wake him up. I packed up all my stuff, grabbed the room service that must have been delivered last night during our escapades and put it on the living room table. I went up the stairs again making sure Bobby wasn’t awake and give him a kiss on the cheek before heading back down and out to the lobby.

My tickets were 1st class, thanks to Bobby, so I boarded the plane at 5:55 and we departed Vegas at 6:20. The flight lasted 5 hours so all I did was sleep, the man next to me followed my lead also and was asleep within seconds of taking off. Before I got off the plane I took a few pictures with fans and signed 3 autographs. There wasn’t anyone in the terminal to bother me so I got to the baggage claim relatively quickly, even though I was stuck behind slow walkers. The baggage claim came quick and my bag was one of the frist, I kept my book bag with me on the flight just incase the flight delayed. I got done and out the airport by 11 to see Dom waving at me through his SUV window.

“Hello sista!” Dom said as he opened the SUV door for me. He grabbed my luggage bag and threw it in the back next to his Dallas Cowboys bag.

“Hug me brotha!” I yelled as we reenacted our favorite show, Drake and Josh.

The ride from the airport to our house was full of small talk until Dom brought up the one thing I had been dreading to talk to any of my family about, me and Bobby’s sex life. We had had quick conversations about Bobby but never anything deeper then how is he, what’s he do, and such. Our sex life wasn’t so heated compared to other couples but it was still an awkward conversation, keep in mind I was still 18 and Bobby was in his early twenties.

“So have you and the Bobby kid, I have yet to meet, done it?”

I got wide-eyed and blushed before answering quietly, “N-no.” Obviously giving it away.

Dom laughed and looked at me quickly, “That’s bullshit. I’m not telling mom or dad! You know we watched the award show yesterday… Mom was talking about the sex-eyes he was giving you the whole time.”

“Shhhhh,” I hissed back, “You don’t tell a soul. Oh whatever you guys will meet him tomorrow and you can judge if those were sex-eyes or not, do you know if Junior is coming?”

“Oh score, hockey douche bags! Ahh,” He glanced around and turned left into our private drive, “Yeah he is, Becca, My girlfriend can’t come though so I guess we’ll have an extra seat on the plane if you have any ideas.”

“Shut it football asshole. Oh lovely you invited a girl I’ve never met… But no I don’t have friends sooo.” I sarcastically responded.

“False!” Dom yelled as the SUV came to a halt, “Becca went to Shattuck, she was in your bio class, you have met her.”

It then hit me who she was, one of the few girls I actually talked to at Shattuck. We had been lab partners for the dissecting frog unit and always talked about Buffalo. We were the only two at the school from New York, let alone Buffalo, but she was there strictly for academics.

“Ohhhhh, wait how’d you meet her then?”

“Eh she works at Wegmans and she asked for my autograph, we got talking, she realized I’m your brother and it went from there.” We climbed out of the SUV and headed inside.

Junior and his girlfriend, Danielle, were inside cooking food so I said a quick hi and sampled the tasty things they were making. Damn could Jr’s girl cook I thought as I ate one of her deviled eggs. Jr told me, as I was munching down on the egg, that my mom and dad had gown to get stuff ready for tomorrow which sparked up another conversation about Bobby.

“So that’s the dude you’ve been running off with Shauna.” Jr said as he grabbed milk from the fridge.
“So not having this conversation right now, You’ll meet him tomorrow Ty, no need to get into our business.”

Dom choked on his egg from laughter, which earned him a look from me. “Don’t even,” I said as I saw him start to say something. “Don’t!” I yelled as he screamed out, “SHAUNA FUCKED HIM!” Juniors eyes got huge, Danielle laughed and I bolted after Dom who ran upstairs laughing.

I caught Dom at the top of the stairs and pushed him into his room, shutting and locking the door behind me before grabbing a pillow that was on the ground. I the proceeded to chase after him, hitting him in the head with it every 2 seconds.

“You bastard!” I yelled as he started wailing pillows at me.

“You shouldn’t of told me!” He continued laughing, opened the door and ran downstairs. I let out a ‘huff’ in annoyance and went downstairs to face Jr and Danielle’s ridicule.

“SO how many times?” Danielle asked with a giggle as soon as I rounded the corner into the kitchen.

“Once.” I could feel Jr staring at me so I turned to face the doors facing outside.

“Liar! How many times?” He asked.

“Twice okay? Jesus Christ.” I continued staring out into the yard, thinking maybe doing it with Bobby wasn’t that good of an idea. Danielle came over and gave me a hug and Jr placed and arm on my shoulder.

“As long as your not pregnant…” Jr stated back and chuckled grabbing Danielle and bringing her back into the kitchen.

“Defiantly not.”

“Defiantly not what?” My mom asked as she walked in and dropped Wegmans bags on the kitchen counter. My dad then entered and gave me a head nod before Jr covered my ass.

“Defiantly not eating my food,” He let out another nervous chuckle but returned to cooking as Dom appeared in the kitchen. I shot him a ‘STFU’ look and hugged both my parents.

“So are we ready for Shauna’s big day?!” My dad yelled as he squeezed me harder into his chest. Everyone let out choruses of ‘Yeahs’ before I headed into the living room to watch some good old TV.

I was entertained for a solid 3 hours by MTV’s ‘Teen Mom’ before Dom stole the remote, due to the fact that I couldn’t beat him in our wrestling match and he changed it to the Yankees game. The whole family, including Danielle, She’d been dating Jr since high school so she is considered family, came in and watched the game with us. It felt like the old summer days in-between years at Shattuck, it was a comfortable silence and I knew right then and there no matter what I’d always have them.

The 1st Yankees game ended, them winning 7-3 against the Red Sox and we all left to go do things with the in between the double headers. Dom and I went swimming in the lake, then switched to jet skiing while Jr and Danielle helped mom and dad make food. My mom decided spaghetti was what she wanted that night and no one could argue, she made the best spaghetti so we had that and Jr/Danielle’s buffalo wing dip.

The whole dinner we talked about football, when Dom and Jr were leaving for training camp and how they both needed to study film before they left, per my dad’s request. Dom, being the asshole he was that day, brought up Bobby again and I told my parents they would meet him in L.A. and that was it. By the end of dinner I was stuffed and headed back into the living room to watch the Yankees kick ass, again in the 2nd game of their double-header.

The game ended around 11, Jr and Danielle were passed out so me and my Dad decided to pull a prank.

“Grab the whipped cream Shauners!” My dad exclaimed as he brought in chocolate syrup. My mom had gone to sleep in the 4th inning so thankfully she wouldn’t have a fit at what we were about to do.

We tip-toed into the living room and I gave Dom the “Shhh” finger. My dad went behind the couch and tapped on Danielle’s shoulder telling her to move, luckily Jr was a heavy sleeper so her moving didn’t wake him.

I locked eyes with my dad and he started counting down, “5...4...3...2...1!” We both jumped next to Jr on the couch and sprayed the whipped cream and chocolate syrup in his face. Dom fell off the couch from laughing and Danielle followed. Jr screamed as soon as he opened his eyes and looked at his shirt, “Come the fuck on!” My dad laughed at him, grabbed our contents and went into the kitchen. I sat there staring at Jr and taking pictures with my phone before he got up and ran towards me. I bolted upstairs and slammed my door on his face before locking it. “God dammit Shauna!” he yelled as he kept banging on my door, I sat on my bed laughing at him and chirping at him before I heard Danielle come up and tell him to calm down between laughing fits.

The house calmed down 5 minutes later, I suspect Dom and the rest went for bed as I started packing. I’d only be there for the weekend but I knew I’d have to pack at least 3 nice outfits, 2 for dinner’s with Bobby and the family and one for the actual draft. Miranda had texted me earlier that day telling me what to wear, a dress, the guys normally wore suits so it went hand in hand. Emerson, Tyler, Q and Ryan also had all texted me telling me that I’d have to meet up with all of them, which I planned on doing anyways. It had been forever it seemed since I talked to any of them and my face lit up every time I got an alert from my phone from them. Packing was easy for me, I threw everything that was washed into my bag and called it a night around 12. Thankfully our plane didn’t leave till 10 so I’d have some time to sleep.

I woke up to my mom screaming in my ear “WE HAVE TO GO!”

My response was a groan and a pillow thrown at her, “SHAUNA WE HAVE 20 MINUTES TILL THE PLANE LEAVES!”

I screamed, jumped out of my bed and ran into bathroom. I was ready in 5 minutes. I decided on wearing my Boston College hoodie, black shorts and Reebok sandals, all I wanted to be was comfortable.

We got to the airport in the nick of time and boarded as soon as we got to our terminal. I sat next to Dom and played PSP with him the whole ride. The plane landed in LAX around 3, California time, My body was always really good at adjusting to them time within hours, so I was hoping by the time the draft started later that night.

My dad was the only one to get recognized as we walked through the airport and got into our car. The brothers and I kept our heads low the whole time but my dad didn’t care, he didn’t mind signing autographs and taking pictures as much as I did. Dom and Jr never minded it either, they would always say ’It’s part of the game.’ Sure it was but that didn’t make me enjoy it, I guess I just felt in secure by people.

The hotel we were staying at was just an average Hampton Inn, Of course we got the suite because it was me, mom, dad and Dom all staying in one room. Jr and Danielle got there own room because they were going to ‘venture’ out late, or so that’s what they told my mom. Me and Dom left as soon as we got to the room and went to explore, but came back after about 30 minutes of not discovering anything but the pool and gym. My mom started to get ready as soon as Dom and I came back so I figured I should start too considering I had no idea what to wear. I was attempting to text Bobby and ask what color he was wearing but then Q called.

“Shauna!” He yelled as soon as I clicked ‘Answer’.

“Q! What’s up buddy?” I countered with just as much enthusiasm, Dom and dad wearing shooting questioning glances at me but I ignored them.

“Nothing much, Driving to the draft, tell me you’re here?!”

I shook my head and smiled, “Of course! We have to be there at 5 right?”

“Correcto-mundo! I’m thinking’ team reunion?”

“Hell yeah! Anyways I have to get ready so I’ll be seeing you there! You better come find me Q” I said as my mother pointed to the alarm clock, it was 4 so I was already going to have to rush.

“Sounds good my girl! See ya then! Bye!”

I responded with a goodbye, good luck and headed into the bathroom. I sleeked my hair back, straightened it into a mid-length ponytail and put on a wee bit of foundation before spraying myself in Victoria’s Secret PINK. For another 5 minutes I stared at myself in the mirror, going through my outfits in my head. I decided on a black tube dress, pearl chandelier earrings, a shaggy gold pearl bracelet and simple white gladiators.

The drive to the Staples center wasn’t so bad compared to what Bobby said it would be. The parking on the other hand was horrific, Dom had a good eye and right before we were about to park 3 blocks away he spotted a sign that read ‘NHL Prospects parking’ with an arrow. We followed that all the way back to the Staples center and parked in the parking garage underneath it. It was 4:45 by the time we got inside so we hustled through the crowds of people to our seats on.

My phone started vibrating as soon as I sat down, I smiled at the screen, It was Bobby saying he was walking in then. I texted him back with where I was sitting and turned my phone off, Bettman was taking the stage.

“Welcome everyone to the 2010 NHL draft in beautiful Los Angeles, California!” The arena erupted in cheers and a few boo’s because people don’t really like Bettman. “Let’s get this show on the road then, and with that I’d like to call up the Edmonton Oilers with the 1st pick.” A man dressed in a suit with an Oilers pin walked up to the stage and shook Bettman’s hand before taking the microphone.

“And with the 1st pick the Edmonton Oilers would like to welcome… Taylor Hall to our organization!”
Another eruption of cheers came through the crowd as Taylor walked up to the stage and put the blue and orange jersey on.

An hour passed, Seggy was selected by Boston, Jeff by Carolina, Ryan by Columbus, and I was beginning to wonder when me, Q and Em would be selected. With every pick Dom was counting down till the Sabres picked. The Sabres, Blackhawks and Penguins were the 3 teams that showed the most intrest in me, The Sabres were my favorite.

All of a sudden I remember my mom crying and everyone staring at me, Dom gave me a pinch on my forearm and I realized what had just happened. The Pittsburgh man on stage had said, “The Pittsburgh Penguins would like to welcome Shauna Jeno to the family with our 20th pick!”I was visibly shaking but made my way up to the stage, the fans were cheering and I caught eyes with Ryan by the Blue Jackets table, He gave me a nod and I shook hands with the Pittsburgh man. As I took the jersey from him and put it on he said “Welcome to the NHL Shauna,” I smiled back and him and mouthed ’Thank you’ as I posed for pictures with him. We were led back behind the stage where my family was waiting for me, My dad , brothers and Danielle were all smiling while my mom was crying. I hugged her first and told her there was no reason to cry and hugged everyone else. The Pittsburgh man then led me back to the Pitssburgh Penguin’s table were Mario Lemieux was sitting with a pissed looking Sidney Crosby. The man introduced me and I shook hands with a mono-tone Mario and angry Sidney, the look Sid was giving off told me that something was wrong with this draft and I’d figure it out later that weekend. Pittsburgh man then told me they’d be in contact with me within the next 2 days but to enjoy tonight, I thanked him then made my way back to my seat.

We stayed for the rest of the round, Q was picked 25th by the Panthers and Em 29th by the Ducks. I was honestly a bit jealous of Em just because he now would be in Anaheim with Bobby all the time. I turned my phone as soon as I got back to my seat and texted Bobby before about 100 messages came in congratulating me. I also got an email/text from the Pittsburgh manager telling me there would be a team meeting at one of the Sunset Marquis hotel.

“When are we going to meet Bobby hunny?” my mother asked after Em was drafted.

“Want to meet him now?” I asked as Bobby was walking towards us.

“Sure, go get him!”

“I don’t have to,” I responded as I got up and moved toward the isle Bobby was walking down. He hugged me and kissed my forehead as I turned toward my family beaming. “Family this is Bobby, Bobby this is Mom, Dad, the idiots…Dom and Tyler Jr, or just Junior and his girlfriend Danielle.” I said as I pointed to each of them and they all stood up to shake his hand. I waved toward Em, Q and Ryan who were all on the floor beckoning me to come down and pointed to my phone. My mom had invited Bobby to dinner so I texted each of them and told them I couldn’t go anywhere with them tonight but tomorrow instead of coming back for round 2 we’d go to the beach or something together.

My mom let Bobby pick the restaurant, considering this was his town and all, Mr. Chow’s so we headed off. I drove with Bobby, much to Dom’s disgust as he probably figured we’d have sex on the way there. The whole ride we talked about the draft. Bobby was happy the Ducks picked Em but he didn’t give off the greatest attitude about Pittsburgh.

“What’s wrong with Pittsburgh, I mean I hate Pennsylvania but what’s wrong? Sids there!” I asked gleefully even though Sid didn’t seem so happy.

“It’s just the guys there… I don’t know how accepting their going to be.” We came to a stop and he squeezed my hand. “I’ll stand by you though, you know that.”

“I know… I got a feeling from Sid he wasn’t happy.”

“Really? Of all the guys on that team I would of thought he’d take you in, you were teammates.”

“That’s what I thought too, who knows, I’ll find out more tomorrow… I already got an email from the manager.”

He pulled into the Mr.Chow’s parking lot an put the car in park, “What’d it say?”

“Just we have a team meeting at some hotel tomorrow.”

“Ah I see, well let’s go get some grub!” He said as we saw my family walking into the restaurant.
Bobby called ahead while we were still at the arena so we were seated automatically. I ordered my favorite food, sesame chicken, while everyone else ordered some sample platter thing. My mom, dad, Danielle and Junior all got red wine while me, Dom and Bobby stuck with an array of sodas.

All throughout the beginning of dinner we talked about hockey, my parents asking Bobby about the league and the guys in it. Dom then changed the conversation to Bobby, He didn’t seem to mind answering questions and talking about himself. The only answer my mom didn’t seem to like, by the slight scowl on her face was when they asked Bobby his age. I couldn’t help but smirk at her, my mom and dad’s age difference was 6 years so they really couldn’t say anything.

Dinner ended and I led Bobby away from everyone outside, we needed to talk about the rest of summer and there was no way I would be allowed to go back to his house for the night.

“So when am I going to see you again?” I asked while looking down at my toes.

“Whenever you want. You call me and I’ll get you tickets.”

“I don’t want you spending money on me Bobby.”

He shook his head and wrapped his arms around me, “And in this case I don’t care what you want.”

I pulled away and looked into his eyes, “I’m not letting you do that.”

“Yes. Yes you are.”

I knew I was going to lose this battle and there was no sense in getting in a fight over it so I agreed and we kissed goodbye. He would be heading to Michigan tomorrow for some USA Hockey thing so I wouldn’t be seeing him for a while.

My parents came out just as Bobby drove away and hugged me, today was not only a day of change but a day that would fore-warn what was to come. This day would show me what family really means and how their the only people I could trust.
♠ ♠ ♠
finally learned how to put links in! :)

thank you everyone who is subscribed and reads this!
i'd love more comments to know what i'm doing wrong or what you guys think :)