When the Walls Come Crashing Down

A Day Off

One week of living with Nick and Faith was adjusting as well as can be. It was difficult getting into the swing of things. One morning she woke up and went to walk downstairs in just a t-shirt and underwear to find Nick in the kitchen. When he turned around she jumped and tried to pull her shirt down to cover her underwear before turning and running up the stairs.

Her mother was a huge help, acting as a buffer between the two former spouses. When Nick didn’t understand why Faith did something with Bryson a certain way Meg would jump in and try to explain before Faith got frustrated. Lizzy also helped provide some comic relief. Faith cherished her nightly phone calls with Joe even though her heart ached with him away.

One morning, Faith woke up to Bryson crying in the bassinet next to the bed. She stretched and let out a yawn before getting up and picking him up.

“Hi baby boy,” she said, kissing his cheek and bringing him over to the changing table. As she changed his diaper she made funny faces at him while he kicked his legs.

When she was done she picked him up and brought him downstairs where her mother and sister were in the kitchen eating breakfast.

“Good morning,” Meg said to her daughter, smiling at her grandson.

“Damn girl, you look exhausted,” Lizzy said, taking Bryson from Faith’s arms so Faith could pour herself some cereal.

“Thanks,” Faith said sarcastically as she pulled the milk out of the fridge. “Where’s Nick?”

“At the studio doing some writing,” Lizzy said, covering her eyes and then pulling her hand away quickly for Bryson.

“I was wondering when he was going to get back to that,” Faith said, taking her seat across from Lizzy.

“I just had a brilliant idea,” Lizzy said, her eyes widening.

“Oh boy.”

“No, no, hear me out. Mom is leaving for the day care center soon. Nick’s at the studio. And I have nothing to do today.”

“Thank you Captain Obvious,” Faith said, taking a bite of her cereal and Lizzy rolled her eyes.

“How about you take the day off and go hang out with Dani and Kevin while I spend some quality time with my nephew,” Lizzy said for Faith to think about. “Before I leave for college,” she added for emphasis, giving a pouty look.

“That’s actually not a bad idea, honey,” Meg said, sticking her empty bowl in the dishwasher and heading upstairs to get ready for work.

“Mom’s right,” Faith said with a sigh. Lizzy smiled and kissed the top of Bryson’s head.

“Bryson and auntie are going to have so much fun,” Lizzy said in a baby voice.

“Not too much fun. Don’t make me remind you of his feeding and sleeping schedule.”

“Oh God please no. Not the schedule again,” Lizzy groaned.

“Ok I’ll spare you this time,” Faith said with a laugh. “I would love the day off. Thank you for the offer.”

“Anytime,” Lizzy said with a smile.

“Let me just call Danielle to make sure she’s around,” Faith said, reaching for the phone.

“No need,” Lizzy said quickly.

“And that would be because?” Faith asked.

“Because… I kind of planned this last night and called her after you went to bed,” Lizzy said, holding up Bryson and cringing behind him.

“You’re the best Lizzy!” Faith said and Lizzy gently lowered Bryson.

“You’re not mad?” she asked.

“Of course not! I love Bryson more than you could know but every Mom needs a day off once in awhile,” Faith said, standing up and wrapping her arms around Lizzy’s neck. She kissed the top of Bryson’s head and ran upstairs to get dressed.

****

“Hi! You’re here!” Dani squealed as Faith walked into her and Kevin’s house.

“It’s nice to see you too, Dani,” Faith laughed as Danielle squeezed her tight in a hug.

“Hey sis,” Kevin said, walking down the stairs.

“Hi Kevin,” Faith said, giving him a hug.

“Please, sit,” he said, motioning to the couch. The three of them entered the living room and Dani sat with Faith on the couch while Kevin sat on the chair.

“So come on, spill,” Danielle said, crossing her legs.

“Spill what?” Faith asked with a smile, looking at Kevin who winked at her.

“You’re joking right?” Dani asked, leaning back in her seat. “How’s life with Nick been?”

“Oh, so that’s what you want to know,” Faith said and Kevin laughed.

“Yes. Tell me everything.”

“It’s fine,” Faith said, shrugging her shoulders.

“And?”

“And what? It’s been fine. There’s nothing more to say.”

“You have got to be joking. There must be more to the story,” Dani said. “I mean, you’re living in the same house as your ex-husband taking care of your baby with him.”

“Alright, alright,” Faith said laughing. “Okay, it’s been a little awkward. It’s weird knowing that he’s sleeping in the bedroom right down the hallway. All I’m saying is I’m glad I have my own bathroom connected to my bedroom so I won’t awkwardly bump into him in the middle of the night.”

“It sounds like it’s been an interesting time,” Dani said, nodding her head. “How do you think he feels?”

“Honestly?” Faith asked and both Kevin and Dani nodded their heads. “I don’t know. I just can’t seem to read him anymore. He’s doing great with Bryson which surprises me but I don’t know how he feels living with me again.”

“He feels the same as you,” Kevin said causing both Dani and Faith to look at him.

“How do you know?” Dani asked.

“I called him the other day,” he said, leaning forward, his elbows on his knees. “He feels awkward living with you again. He feels he needs to skirt around Lizzy and Meg because he thinks they might hate him.”

“That’s not true,” Faith said with a sigh.

“Really? Lizzy doesn’t hate him?” Danielle asked.

“Well, no. Think about it. It was me that she hated for the longest time so by the time she actually came down here Nick and I were over and she had to adjust with Joe being the guy I was with. She didn’t witness anything that happened between Nick and me. Yeah, she rooted for Joe to be Bryson’s father but she doesn’t really have anything against Nick. It’s all hearsay to her.”

“That makes sense,” Kevin said. “Maybe you should tell him that so he could feel more comfortable.”

“I guess,” Faith said, shrugging her shoulders.

****

“Okay,” Dani said as the waitress walked away from the table, having giving the three of them their lunches.

“Okay what?” Faith asked, looking at Kevin who shrugged his shoulders.

“I was wondering when you were planning on having Bryson baptized,” she said, taking a bite of her pasta.

“Um, I don’t know actually. I know Joe would want to be here… but I don’t know if I should do it sooner or later.”

“Does Black Rose have a stop near here sometime soon?” Kevin asked.

“Oh, maybe!” Faith said excitedly. “That would be perfect if they did. Plus I’d love to do it while Lizzy is still here.”

“I have another question,” Dani said slowly, pushing her food around on her plate.

“And that would be?”

“Kevin and I are totally his godparents, right?”

“Oh please. As if we had anyone else in mind,” Faith said, rolling her eyes and taking a bite of her lunch as Danielle smiled wide.

****

When she was done visiting Dani and Kevin, Faith walked around the block back home. She saw Nick’s car in the driveway and knew she needed to talk to him about their situation. When she walked into the house she was surprised to see Nick and Lizzy on the floor of the living room with Bryson between them on his back. The weirdest part is that they were laughing and chatting.

“Hi guys,” she said, dropping her purse on the chair and sitting next to Lizzy.

“Hey sis.”

“How’d your day go? Did my little man behave?” she asked, picking Bryson up and kissing his cheeks.

“He was an angel,” Lizzy said, tickling the bottom of Bryson’s foot. “We watched a mindless baby show. He had some milk. I read him a book. We listened to some of Daddy Nick’s music and looked at some of Daddy Joey’s pictures and…”

“Um, Liz,” Faith said, shaking her head.

“What?” she asked, looking between Nick and Faith. “What did I do? Did I say something wrong?”

“Don’t ask me,” Faith said, looking at Nick who was playing with his watch.

“Actually,” Nick said slowly, “I think that actually helps our situation a little if you think about it. At least for when he first starts talking. Unless you think it would be too weird, or if Joe wouldn’t like it.”

“Well we have awhile before that happens,” Faith said with a laugh, bouncing Bryson up and down.

“How did your day with Kevin and Danielle go?” Nick asked, stretching his legs out and holding himself up with his hands behind him.

“It went great. It was nice spending time with them again and having adult conversation.”

“What did you guys talk about?” Lizzy asked.

“Dani wanted to know when we’re having Bryson baptized. I definitely want to do it before you go to school, Lizzy,” Faith said putting her hand on Lizzy’s leg. “But I want Joe here. He’ll kill me if he’s not.”

“So what do we do?” Nick asked, scratching his head.

“Kevin suggested we find out if Black Rose has a show close to here in that timeframe so if they do Joe and Charlotte can both be there.”

“That’s a good idea,” he said. “You told them they’re the godparents, right?”

“Of course,” Faith said with a laugh. “Dani would have been pissed if they weren’t.”

“Hi, I’m a little pissed I’m not,” Lizzy said, holding her hand up. “Just saying.”

“Next one,” Faith said, nudging Lizzy’s side with her elbow.

“Uh,” Nick said slowly.

“With Joe!” Faith exclaimed causing them all to laugh. Faith took a breath to calm down and smiled at the change she saw in Nick. The past few weeks had been difficult... and so had the past few months. He seemed like a completely different person.

“I’m hungry,” Lizzy said once she had calmed down.

“Chinese?” Nick asked, looking at the two sisters sitting in front of him.

“Heck yes,” Faith said, standing up, cradling Bryson in her arms.

“I’ll call them. You go call Joe,” Lizzy said, standing up and grabbing the phone.

“I’ll take Bryson if you want,” Nick said from where he sat on the floor.

“If you don’t mind, sure,” Faith said and he stood up to take him from her. “He probably needs another bottle.”

“I got it,” he said, walking into the kitchen.

Faith smiled at Nick before grabbing her purse from the chair and heading upstairs. She walked into her bedroom and pulled out her cellphone before collapsing on her bed. She dialed Joe’s number on speed dial and waited for him to pick up.

Hey,” Joe said and Faith smiled. His voice sounded so soothing.

“Hey baby,” she said with a sigh.

What’s going on?” he asked.

“I went to visit with Kevin and Danielle today while Lizzy took care of Bryson.”

Yeah? How did that go?

“It was great. Dani was wondering when Bryson would be baptized. I told her I want Lizzy to still be here and it obviously can’t happen without you and Charlotte here,” she said and she heard him sigh.

I don’t know if that will all be possible,” he said and she took a deep breath.

“Well Kevin suggested I ask you if Black Rose has a stop here before Lizzy has to go. Do you know if they do or not?”

I don’t know the schedule by heart but I can check,” he said and she heard some noises as he shuffled through papers. “Just one second.

“No rush,” she said.

Okay, let me see. They have a show in Dallas on August 17… will Lizzy still be there?” he asked and her heart skipped a beat. She thought maybe this could all work out.

“Hold on, let me ask her when she has to leave again,” she said, standing up and walking to the top of the staircase. “Hey Liz!”

“What’s up?” Lizzy asked, sliding around the corner at the bottom of the stairs on her socks.

“When do you have to leave for school?”

“August 19th,” she said. “Why?”

“Black Rose has a show in Dallas on the 17th! Joe,” she said, bringing the phone back to her ear again. “Will they still be in Dallas on the 18th or is it a travel day?”

It’s a day in Dallas,” he said and she noted the excited tone in his voice.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have a date for Bryson’s baptism,” she said, jumping up and down.

Penciling it in as we speak,” Joe said and Faith laughed.

“You’re penciling in your own son’s baptism?” she asked and instantly regretted it. “I mean…”

It’s alright Faith,” he said. “Really. Things will be better when he’s older and when you and I are married.

“Yeah, they will,” she said softly, a smile on her face.

I’ve gotta go babe,” he said with a sigh.

“Alright. I love you,” she said.

I love you, too. I’ll call you later.

“I’ll be waiting. Bye.”

Bye,” he said, hanging up the phone.

Faith did the same and put the phone back in her pocket. She walked down the stairs to join her family and found her mother had arrived and was getting silverware and everything ready to eat with. Nick was unloading the food from the bag while Lizzy finished giving Bryson his bottle. This was home. It was dysfunctional and incomplete, but it was home.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I know I took forever with this. I apologize. I got a little distracted by my new story Disney Dream (which you should totally check out by the way). And other things going on at home and all that.

I'm going to try to divide my writing time equally between these two stories. A chapter for this a chapter for that. Back and forth so on and so forth. So yeah! Now that all that's over with...

Do you like the new chapter? It was nice seeing more of Kevin and Danielle wasn't it? Sorry I didn't get anything in here about Dani's pregnancy... there were more pressing matters to address :p

So how do you think Nick's adjusting? Do you feel it's going well?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. And I hope you check out Disney Dream if you have the time! If you do check it out let me know what you think. As a forewarning it's incredibly corny but if you check it out you'll see why :p

Thank you so much to everyone who's been patient with me. Life ain't easy being a college grad without a job. It's hard finding one, let me tell you. I love you all!
~Steph <3