When the Walls Come Crashing Down

A Day Early

On the morning of the fifteenth, Faith woke up and instantly grabbed her phone to call Joe. She was upset she couldn’t see him on his actual birthday but a few days later was better than not at all. The phone rang a few times more than usual before he picked up and Faith smiled when she heard his grunt as an answer.

“Good morning to you too, birthday boy,” she said with a laugh.

Sorry Faith, I’m exhausted,” he said, proving it with a yawn.

“Stay out at the bars too late?” she joked.

Yes but I stopped drinking before midnight. It wasn’t fun without you,” he said and she smiled. It was good to know that he missed her.

“I know but you still should have celebrated.”

I’ll celebrate in two days when I see you,” he said and Faith’s eyebrows furrowed together.

“Two? I thought I’d see you the morning of the eighteenth.”

Screw that. I’m renting a car and driving straight there once the concert’s over, before the encore, with Charlotte. We got the okay from the band’s manager,” he explained and Faith smiled.

“I just got way more excited than I already was!” she exclaimed.

Good! We were going to surprise you and Nick and just show up but we were too excited. Char told Nick last night.

“That bastard. He didn’t tell me.”

Probably because she told him at three a.m. when she drunk dialed him,” Joe said with a laugh.

“Well yeah, that explains it,” Faith said, getting out of bed and heading to the bathroom, being quiet so she wouldn’t wake Bryson.

How’s my little man?” Joe asked.

“He’s amazing,” she said, smiling down at Bryson as she walked by him. “He’s sleeping right now.”

I can’t wait to see him,” Joe said with a sigh.

“I know. Almost there.”

It’s going to suck leaving him again. Especially you, too.

“Don’t think about it. I won’t if you won’t. Besides, we’re in pretty good hands here. Your parents and Frankie are great and help out when they can, Kevin and Dani are happy to have me over when I need a break, and my Mom, Lizzy, and Nick are just amazing,” Faith said with a smile, really appreciating her family.

So he’s actually helping out?

“Joe… he stopped working on the album not that long ago. He’s been home every day since. Charlotte didn’t tell you?” she asked, surprised that he didn’t already know this.

I don’t think she knows. I can’t believe he did that.

“Neither can I but I’m not complaining,” she said, sitting back down on the bed. A knock came at the door and Faith looked up. “Hold on, Joe. Come in!”

“Hey, I thought I heard you moving around up here. I made some coffee and I was wondering if you would want an omelet?” Nick asked, opening the door and stepping in, keeping his hand on the doorknob.

“An omelet would be great. Thanks Nick,” she said with a smile.

“No problem. Is that Joe?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she said, nodding her head.

“Can I talk to him?”

“Joe, Nick wants to talk to you for a second,” she said into the phone.

Okay,” Joe said warily as Faith handed the phone over to Nick.

“Hey Joe, happy birthday. You’re welcome,” he said, kneeling at the foot of Faith’s bed and looking toward Bryson. “Yeah, I couldn’t sleep much after Char called me so I’m making myself useful and making breakfast… no it’s alright, don’t worry about it… yeah, well I should go start cooking. I’ll see you soon… bye.”

“I’ll be down in a minute,” she said, taking the phone back as he nodded his head, closing the door behind him.

Well that was awkward,” Joe said and Faith laughed.

“Why?”

That was the first normal conversation we’ve had in I don’t know how long.

“Maybe it’s just a sign that everything’s going back to normal in this family,” Faith said and Joe laughed.

Babe, I don’t think this family’s ever going to be normal again.

“Can’t we at least pretend it is?” she asked in a small voice.

Yes we can pretend. But I should get going. We have a long day today,” he said with a sigh.

“Okay well try to enjoy it. I love you.”

I love you too, Faith. I’ll see you in two days.

“I can’t wait,” she said, saying goodbye before they hung up.

She set her phone down and stood up, walking over to Bryson. He was still sleeping but it was time to wake him up. She picked him up despite his protests and changed his diaper before walking downstairs with him. Nick was at the stove cooking while Lizzy sat at the counter eating her breakfast and talking to him with her mouth full of food.

“Morning sis,” she said before shoving another forkful of hash browns in her mouth.

“Hi. Did you hear the good news?” Faith asked, grabbing a bottle of Bryson’s pre-pumped milk and putting it in the warmer before sitting next to her sister.

“What news?”

“You didn’t tell her?” Faith asked Nick as he shrugged his shoulders, putting some vegetables in Faith’s omelet.

“She hasn’t shut up since she came up here,” he said, flipping the omelet and grabbing the cheese.

“Rude,” Lizzy said, some egg flying out of her mouth as she chewed it.

“It’s only rude if it’s false,” Nick said, pointing the spatula towards her.

“And I believe him,” Faith said with a laugh.

“Ruder,” Lizzy said.

“Not a word,” Nick said, grabbing the bottle from the warmer and handing it to Faith.

“Thanks,” Faith said with a smile, taking it from him and testing it on her wrist before beginning to feed Bryson.

“How about you go back to being boring Nick because at least he was quiet. And actually, ruder is a word thank you very much,” Lizzy said, setting her coffee cup down.

“Now that was rude,” Faith said, rolling her eyes at Lizzy.

“Calm your titties. Nick knows I’m only joking,” she said as Nick brought a plate full of food over to Faith and took Bryson from her. “Anyway, what the hell is this good news?”

“Joe and Charlotte will be here in two days instead of three!” Faith said excitedly, diving into her omelet.

“That’s exciting! Why a day early?” Lizzy asked, clapping her hands together.

“Well it’s really only twelve hours early.”

“They were going to surprise us but Char called me at three a.m. completely drunk and spilled the beans,” Nick said.

“Oh God I would pay good money to see that girl drunk,” Lizzy said, eyes wide.

“Oh Jesus,” Faith said, rolling her eyes again.

“Well, needless to say I’ll babysit that night so y’all can do… things,” Lizzy said, winking her eye.

“Thanks?” Faith said, taking a sip of coffee.

“But the next night you’re on your own because it’s my last night here and I’ll be damned if I don’t get to sleep through the night before having to drive ten hours.”

“Joe and I will just take him,” Faith said shrugging her shoulders.

“I’m sure Kevin and Danielle wouldn’t mind babysitting,” Nick said.

“Yeah but Joe will want as much time with him as possible.”

“Good point,” Nick said, nodding his head.

“Well, thanks for breakfast Nick,” Lizzy said, putting her plate in the dishwasher and walking over to the basement door. “I’m just going to take a quick shower and get ready then we can go.”

“Where are you guys going?” Faith asked as Lizzy went downstairs to grab her towels.

“I’m taking her last minute college shopping for stuff like bedding and whatnot. The expensive stuff, my treat,” he said, setting the bottle down and bringing Bryson up to his shoulder to burp him.

“That’s nice of you,” Faith said with a smile.

“I figured it would be a nice thank you for being such a good aunt over the past month,” he said shrugging his shoulders.

“I agree. Thank you Nick.”

“No problem,” he said, standing up. “I’ll just bring him upstairs with me so you can eat in peace.”

“Thank you,” she said with a smile as Nick walked out of the kitchen, Bryson looking at her with wide eyes over his shoulder.

****

“It should be any minute now,” Faith said excitedly as she rocked Bryson in his carrier with her foot. The rest of the Jonas’ were sitting in her living room with her, her mother, and sister waiting for Joe and Charlotte to arrive.

“Let me get the tiny human out of the way so no one stampedes him,” Danielle said, picking Bryson up out of his carrier and kissing his cheek.

“Good idea,” Faith said with a laugh.

“Hey you look good with a baby Dani,” Lizzy said and Danielle smiled. “You must be excited to get two at once.”

“Excited, nervous, a little scared,” she said, shrugging her shoulders as Kevin kissed her temple.

“You guys are going to be great parents,” Frankie said.

“He’s right,” Denise said with a smile. “Kevin got a lot of practice when Frankie was born and Dani you had Katie. And the two of you have been great with Bryson.”

“Thanks Mom,” Kevin and Danielle both said with a smile. All of a sudden they heard a car horn blaring, the noise getting louder as it got closer.

“Oh my God!” Faith shouted, jumping up off the couch and running to the door, Nick slowly following behind her. She flung the door open and ran onto the lawn as the car pulled into the driveway. Joe barely had the car parked for two seconds before he climbed out and made his way over to Faith as she ran and jumped into his arms, wrapping her legs around his waist.

“Well hello,” he said with a laugh after she pulled away from their kiss.

“Hi!” she said breathlessly, tangling her fingers in his hair.

“Man I should go away more often,” he said as she shook her head.

“No way,” she said, a large smile on her face. She looked over her shoulder to see Charlotte’s arms draped over Nick’s shoulders as she kissed him.

“Where’s Bryson?” Joe asked as Faith set her feet back on the ground and wrapped her arms around his torso.

“Dani’s got him in the living room,” she said as they walked to the house. “Hi Charlotte.”

“Hi Faith,” Charlotte said, letting go of Nick to give Faith a hug. “It’s good to see you.”

“You too! Come on inside, everybody’s waiting,” she said, attaching herself to Joe again as they all went inside.

“I’m home!” Joe cried, throwing his hands in the air as everyone stood up to say hello to him and Charlotte.

“Somebody missed you,” Dani said, a smile on her face as she held Bryson out for Joe.

“Gimme,” Joe said, holding his arms out and making a grabbing motion with his hands. “Hi little man. Did you miss me?”

“Ahggaahbbh,” Bryson babbled and Joe laughed, pressing his lips to Bryson’s forehead and bouncing him up and down.

“I think that’s a yes,” Faith said, her eyes tearing up slightly at the sight.

“It’s so good to be home,” Joe said, holding Bryson to his chest in one arm, the other wrapped tight around Faith’s waist.

****

“Oh God I’ve missed this bed,” Joe said as he belly-flopped onto it while Faith changed into her pajamas.

“And I’m sure it’s missed you too honey,” she said with a laugh. He rolled over to look at her and she smiled.

“So Bryson’s gotten so big already, huh?” he asked and she shrugged her shoulders.

“I guess. I don’t notice it so much with seeing him every day and all,” she said and he pouted.

“Understandable.”

“But I have noticed he’s gotten heavier,” she laughed as she climbed into bed onto her side facing him.

“I miss him. And I miss you,” he said, draping his arm over her waist and pulling her closer.

“I miss you too,” she said, giving him a kiss. “And I know Bryson misses you. Whenever I show him your picture I swear he gets a little more active.”

“You know sometimes when I’m sleeping I swear I can hear him crying and I wake up and look around before I remember he’s not with me.”

“Aw, that’s kind of sweet,” she said, placing a hand on his chest.

“Yeah but it bums me out. I can’t wait for this tour to be over so I can be here every day with him,” he said and she smiled.

“Neither can I.”

“So… do you think Nick’s going to tell Charlotte that he stopped working on the record?” he asked and Faith bit her lip.

“I hope so. I don’t know why he’s kept it a secret. It’s not like it’s a big deal.”

“Maybe he doesn’t want to disappoint her?”

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” she said. “But did things seem a little off between them while we were downstairs?”

“How do you mean?” he asked.

“I don’t know really. Nick just seemed to… not be very excited to see her. He was just acting normal. Whereas I can’t stay away from you.”

“I didn’t really notice,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “I was too busy paying attention to you and Bryson.”

“Awww,” she said with a smile, leaning in to kiss him.

“So, what time do we have to be up tomorrow?” he asked.

“The baptism is at two so we can sleep in a little.”

“Perfect,” he said, rolling over so he was hovering over Faith and leaned down to kiss her. She smiled into the kiss and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Thank God for Lizzy,” she said and Joe laughed as he pulled away, reaching over to the table to shut the light off before leaning back down and kissing her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS?!?!?! A NEW CHAPTER?!?!?!?!??? Oh you know only three months later... I'm so INCREDIBLY sorry about that!!! I don't know what went wrong. I guess I just lost direction of where I was going to go but suddenly inspiration hit! The next chapter is going to be the baptism and I won't have problems with that. I was originally going to have it be part of this one but I got a better idea for it.

So over the past three months while I was on hiatus with this story I was starting the process of writing another one. I don't know if some of you have checked it out or not but it was inspired by the MTV show Teen Wolf and centers around their character, Derek Hale, and an original character of mine named Hailey. It's called Poison & Wine if you're interested in checking it out! I'm actually further along with it than I am with this story and I think I'm pretty close to completing it (to be determined) but with a possible sequel idea in mind as well!

I PROMISE you that the next chapter of this story will be up MUCH sooner than 3 months from now. Hopefully even sooner than 3 weeks from now! Thank you thank you THANK YOU to those of you who have stuck around patiently waiting for an update. I'm not expecting much feedback for this since I don't know how many of you are still interested and actually active with this site but thank you in advance if you do leave a comment. It will really inspire me if I see people still interested in knowing what's going to happen. No matter what I love you all for sticking around! :)

~Steph xoxo