Status: Active

Heartbreak Warfare

You Broke All Your Promises

I sped to Nick’s house but no matter how fast I drove I couldn’t escape the memories. That had been one of my favorite memories from our relationship and he had to ruin that too. Everything of mine that was good he had to ruin.

The memory replayed again and again in my head as tears began falling from my eyes. Nick and I had been dating for about 7 months when it all started with Dakota and ended with our song…

My phone rang and I smiled as Nick’s name flash across the screen.

“Hey Nick.” I answered.

“Hey Annie. So the boys and I are having band practice today and I was wondering if you want to come and watch. We’ve been working on some new songs.”

“Of course. I love watching you guys practice. Halvo is so sexy when he plays bass.” I smirked even though Nick couldn’t see me through the phone.

“Very funny. Well I was going to come by and pick you up but I’ll just let Halvo do it since you think he’s so sexy.” Nick retorted.

“Do you really trust Halvo enough to have him come pick me up and not try to do anything?”

“No. I’ll be at your house in half an hour.” Nick said and then hung up as I laughed.

True to his word, Nick pulled up to my house 30 minutes later. I leaned over to kiss him as I got in the car. He smiled at me and grabbed my hand before pulling out of the driveway.

A couple minutes later Nick and I pulled up to the building that Rocket used for practice space. The boys all said hi to me as I walked in and went over to the couch as Nick walked over to grab his guitar. The boys had put a couch in the practice space so anyone who was watching practice would have a place to sit even though Becca and I were usually the only two who watched.

The boys played through some of their older songs including “Dakota”, which I wasn’t too fond of since it was about Nick’s ex; the girl he had dated right before me.

The boys then began to play a new song. The name of it was “Like We Used To” and I had a feeling it was about Dakota also. Dakota and Nick had dated for a while until she decided that she couldn’t handle dating someone in a band. Rocket wasn’t touring much at that point but Dakota said she wouldn’t be able to stand it when they did so it would be easier to end the relationship sooner rather than later. Soon after the break-up she was already dating someone else. I knew Nick had been upset about that but I thought he was over it. I wasn’t so sure anymore though because the new song sounded as if he still missed her.
The boys decided to take a break. Nick and Andrew walked into the other room to get some water while Justin and Halvo came over to sit by me on the couch.

“So is that new song about Dakota also?” I asked the two boys.

Justin and Halvo just looked at me for a few seconds before Justin finally spoke up and said, “Yeah, it is.”

“We saw her last night.” I sighed.

“What? Where?” Justin asked.

“I dragged Nick out to a club last night and she was there. She came up to Nick and started talking. She is the exact opposite of me. I felt like a fucking monster standing next to her. She’s petite and blonde while I’m tall and brunette. She also seemed really nice which just makes everything ten times worse.”

“She’s single now too. She and her boyfriend just broke up.” Halvo said.

“Not helping, dumbass.” Justin said.

Halvo gave me an “I’m sorry” look and said, “She texted me last night after she saw you guys and asked how serious you and Nick were. I think she wants him back.”

“Ok, that makes everything ten times worse.” I groaned.

“I told her that you guys were serious so she should back off.” Halvo said.

Nick and Andrew walked back in and Halvo stood up to go join them so they could start practicing again.

Justin stood up but leaned over to give me a hug and tried to reassure me by saying, “Nick is head over heels for you and is totally over Dakota. He won’t leave you for her.”

I smiled at Justin but it was a fake one. No matter what anyone said, those lyrics sounded as if Nick was still in love with his ex.
____________________________________________________________________________

Nick and I got back into his car after practice and headed back to his house. We had decided to just fix something at his house for dinner because neither of us felt like going out to eat. He was tired from practice and I was mad, even though he didn’t know it.

“So did you like the new songs?” Nick asked after a few moments of silence.

“Yeah, they were great.” I muttered sarcastically as I rolled my eyes.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Annie, don’t lie to me.” Nick said with an edge to his voice.

“Fine, I’m just a little pissed that my boyfriend has been writing songs about his ex-girlfriend. Songs that make it sound as if he were still in love with her.”

“They’re just songs. They don’t mean anything.”

“Bullshit, Nick!” You put your emotions into your lyrics so they obviously mean something.”

“They meant something at one point in time but not anymore.”

“Whatever. Just go back to your precious Dakota and sing those fucking songs for her.” I spat out.

“Do you want a song about you? Is that what this is about?!” Nick exploded.

“I don’t care whether I have a fucking song or not. What I do care about is the fact that my boyfriend is still in love with his ex.”

The rest of the car ride was silent after that. We pulled up to Nick’s house and both of us slammed the car doors shut.

After we got inside his house Nick turned to me and said, “She called me this morning; Dakota did. She said she wanted to get back together. I told her no though because I was in love with someone else. I’m tired and I don’t feel like arguing anymore so I’m going up to bed.”

My mouth dropped open in shock at what Nick had just said. Not only had he rejected his ex for me, he had also basically told me he loved me. He had never said those words to me before.

I sat down on his couch and put my head in my hands. I had screwed up, big time. I finally sighed and figured that I should go up to apologize.

I walked in Nick’s room and changed into my pajamas. I wasn’t sure if he still wanted me to spend the night or not but I decided to take a chance because I really needed to apologize.

I crawled into bed next to Nick and whispered, “Nick? Listen I’m really sorry about…”

Nick rolled over and cut me off as he said, “I’m really tired Annabelle. Can we just talk about this in the morning?”

“Yeah, sure.” I nodded as I tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.
____________________________________________________________________________

I woke up the next morning and Nick wasn’t in bed. I got up and walked out of the room to look for him. I heard some music coming from down the hall so I walked into that room. Nick was sitting there playing his guitar and occasionally writing something down on the piece of paper next to him.

He looked up and smiled at me, which I took as a good sign.

I sat down in the chair across from him and said, “Nick, I’m so sorry about last night. Jealousy got the best of me and I overreacted. I shouldn’t have made that big of a deal about those songs.”

“Thanks for apologizing Annie, but I have to take some blame also. I should have realized how you would feel about me writing songs about my ex. I didn’t even consider your feelings at all. I was just worried about writing good songs. Believe me though when I say that I no longer have feelings for Dakota. The part of my life with her in it is over. I…I love you.” Nick said.

I kissed him and smiled as I said, “I love you too.”

Nick breathed a sigh of relief and said, “I wrote a song for you.”

“Nick, you didn’t have to do that.”

“I know that I didn’t have to but I wanted to. I want us to have our own song. It’s called ‘On Your Side.’

Nick strummed the guitar and began singing.

I know your face, your eyes, your lips, your taste
I love the way you know just what to say

It was a Saturday
remember it like yesterday
she knew my name, imagine that
I know this road, the way that no one goes

So cold, so cold
baby you're so cold, so cold

Take it easy baby, we can make it right
girl you know my love is always on your side
Rest your eyes tonight
You know that my love
You know that my love is on your side

I love your pretty face
and how it rests on your pillow case
we'd get in fights, you spend the night
and I don't see how we get this way
I think we're alright

So cold, so cold
baby you're so cold, so cold

Take it easy baby, we can make it right
girl you know my love is always on your side
Rest your eyes tonight
You know that my love
You know that my love is on your side

Take it easy baby, we can make it right
girl you know my love is always on your side
Rest your eyes tonight
Rest your eyes tonight
Rest your eyes tonight
You know that my love is on your side
You know that my love
You know that my love is on your side
You know that my love is on your side

As soon as Nick finished the song I instantly hugged him and said, “Nick, I love it. Thanks so much. I’m sure your fans are going to love it also.”

“I actually don’t think I’m ever going to put it on a CD or sing it at a concert.”

“Why? It’s really good.”

“Because this is our song and I don’t really want to share it with people. I want it to be something special just between the two of us.” Nick said.

I just smiled and said, “Thank you.”

“Of course. I just wanted to show you how much I care. Now, I believe you owe me some make-up sex.” Nick smirked.

I just laughed as I kissed Nick and we made our way back to his bedroom.


I guess some promises were made to be broken.
♠ ♠ ♠
Does this help clear somethings up? Whose side are you on? Is Nick being a douche or is Annabelle just overreacting? And any ideas on why they broke up?
Huge thanks to: KeepYourMouthShut, Yay Its Alex!, disappearing act., somebody_who_cares, breaktheroutine, and Dark.Eyed.Dreamer.