Love Is Such a Crazy Thing

Houston, We Have A Problem!

A week later,

I was in my office going through my paper work for the divorce settlement. At least Derek wasn't being an asshole and going after money that wasn't entitled to him or the penthouse. He actually wanted me to keep it. Everything that we came into our marriage with was what we were leaving with. If I kept the penthouse I was going into decorating overhaul. If I sold it I would find a nice little place to live.

I finished scanning the documents and found it to be acceptable so I signed it and continued looking through the documents. I signed everything and sat back letting out a sigh. I didn't know whether I was relieved for my marriage to end or just down right depressed. I was about to get up when my door opened. Daniel walked in with a few papers.

"Hey Nikki, there is this conference coming up that I've never heard of and I wanted to know what you know about it?"

"Harpers Ferry Writers Conference that they have moved to California?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's the one. I thought it was just a writers conference?" He asked.

"Well, this is where we go for new writers as well as giving speeches." I said.

"Damn, you know I'm horrible at speeches." He said.

"Don't worry I'm already working on your speech." I said.

"How about you come with me next month to it?" He asked.

"I will see, hopefully I won't have court but count me in." I said.

"Good, and keep a smile on that beautiful face. I never want to see you sad even if we aren't together anymore." He said.

"Okay." I smiled as he walked out of the room.

My cellphone went off and I looked at it seeing Derek's name flash across the screen. I picked it up pressing send.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, um Nikki. I need to talk to you." Derek said.

"About?" I asked.

"I would rather talk in person. Can you meet me at Sushisamba 7 at 8?" He asked.

"Yeah sure, I have to return the rings." I said.

"Okay. See you then." He said.

"Yeah." I hung up and wondered what the hell he had to talk to me about.

***

I arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes late like he used to do to me all the time and saw him seated. I walked over and sat down as he tried to get up and pull my chair out for me. He straightened up his suit and sat back down.

"Hello Nikki." He said.

"What do you want Derek?" I tried to be a bitch to him.

"I wanted to talk about the divorce a little bit more." He said looking uncomfortable.

"It isn't like you haven't explained everything what am I missing?" I asked.

"Can we eat first?" He asked.

"Yeah sure." I said as he called over our server.

After we ordered and our champagne and were served our meal, I looked up at Derek feeling his eyes on me the whole time.

"What?" I asked.

"I think I'm making one of the biggest mistakes of my life." He said.

"What?" I asked confused although I had a feeling that he was talking about our divorce.

"I think rushing into this divorce is going to be a big mistake. I love you and I can't really see myself without you in my life. I've just been so caught up in so much other bullshit I couldn't see it." He said.

"In other words your mistress left you and you want me to come back home." I said while eating sushi.

"Nikki." He said.

"No, you to be honest with me. Is that what's going on?" I asked. "Even if you did cheat and told me I would've forgiven you because I do love you but you asked for a divorce and now that I am granting you one you decide that's not what you want anymore?" I was getting pissed off.

"I was unfaithful but then I realized that she isn't anything like you. She's a manipulative bitch and I would give anything to have you back. I just want us to work." He said.

"Wow, so you are saying I am second prize?" I asked while throwing my napkin down and getting up.

"Nikki, stop." He said while standing up. I took the ring box out and put it down on the table.

"Either way you hurt me too much." I said as I walked away from and out of the restaurant.

I was waiting on valet when I saw Derek walk out of the restaurant.

"I'm sorry Nikki, I don't mean to spring that on you all of the sudden." He said as he stood beside me.

"Whatever Derek."

"Will you at least think about it?" He asked looking hopeful.

"Yeah, sure." I said as I looked down at my feet.

"I'm sorry for real." He kissed me and held me there for a second. It almost brought back the old memories of us.

My car pulled up and I pulled away walking to it. I gave the valet my ticket and paid before getting in. I looked at Derek who stood there with his hands in his pockets. I pulled off to go home. I got my cellphone out and dialed Asia's number.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Houston we have a problem." I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nikki