Love Is Such a Crazy Thing

Te Amo

A week later,

I was home laying in bed wondering why my heart felt like it was being torn from my chest. Daniel and I avoided each. Once we got home Daniel just kept on with his life like nothing had ever happened in Cali. I was upset of course but at work I showed no emotions.

I was watching Stan Helsing hoping to cheer myself up but it wasn't working.

There was a knocking on the door and I got up not bothering to put on a robe. I walked over to the door and looked out peephole to see Daniel. I opened the door.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Can we talk?" He asked.

"Shouldn't you be with your fiance?" I asked.

"Nikki, don't be like that." He said.

"You have no idea what's going on in my mind right now." I said. He moved me to the side and walked in. I rolled my eyes and closed the door almost afraid to face him. I turned to see him sitting on the couch.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done what I did but you have to understand that I am having mixed feelings and second thoughts." He said.

"Don't use me as an excuse to not get married." I said as I headed for the kitchen for a beer.

"You aren't an excuse." He said. "I haven't felt right about marrying Miliani since I arrived here and saw your face. I hate to admit that I still love you." He said.

"Don't say that." I fought back tears and walked away.

"Don't walk away from me." He was off the couch and grabbed my arm pulling me to him.

"It doesn't change the fact that you are getting married." I said as I pushed him back.

"Just tell me not to marry her and I'm yours." He said.

"No, I can't." I said even thought that's what I wanted more than anything in the world. It was hard to come by a man who loved you but this man loved me with all of his heart at one time.

"Fine." He said before leaning down and kissing me.

I didn't know what I was thinking but I wrapped my arms around his neck and he lifted me up.

"Where's your bed?" He asked between kisses.

I pointed in the direction and he walked holding me. He walked into the bedroom and laid me down on the bed.

***

Monday morning, a few days after I last slept with Daniel, I was at work not able to pay attention to my work. There was a knock on the door and I looked up to see Asia.

"Hey." She said.

"Hey sis." I smiled and sat back from my latest draft from an author.

"What are you up to?" She asked.

"Just work. What's up?" I asked.

"Lunch?" She asked.

"Sure." I said. "Let me let my boss know and I will be ready." I said.

"Okay." She said as I got up from behind my desk and she sat down.

I walked down the hallway to Daniel's office who I haven't seen since yesterday. I knocked on the door and he heard him say come in. I opened the door and saw Daniel with the same woman who was engaged to.

"Hey boss, I'm about to take a lunch break with my sister." I glared at him.

"Okay." he looked at Miliani and then me before I walked out. I walked back into my office and got my bag.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Sure." She said.

"Let's go." I put on my sunglasses and we left.

***

At lunch I was sitting eating my food.

"So why the sudden attitude change when you saw your boss?" She asked.

"Remember Daniel?" I asked.

"Yeah, tall black and Samoan man you were in love with in college?" She asked.

"He's my boss." I said.

"Wow, have you guys talked about a relationship?" She asked.

"He's engaged." I said.

"Damn." She said just when I finished the last word.

"Doesn't help that we slept together twice." I said.

"Nikki!" She said.

"I know. He says he will leave her if I asked but I seriously doubt that because how many married men say that but actually follow through with their actions?"

"A lot but maybe this is different." She said as she ate some of her salad.

"I doubt it." I said.

My cellphone rang letting me know I had a text.

I am sorry and I do love you. It was Daniel.

I didn't answer back as I turned off my phone and enjoyed the rest of my time with my sister.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nikki