Where The Waves Break

The Densons

When I had first woken up at about three that afternoon, I was utterly confused. It took me over thirty seconds to realize I was sleeping in my bedroom at the beach house. It was weird, usually when I wake up here, my room is so bright it’s as if I had every possible light on, when its really just the summer sun. When I woke up this afternoon, it was the darkest I’ve ever seen it. The windows were caked with snow on the outside and the winter sun was already starting to set.

I flicked on the light and pulled out the first decent outfit out of the suitcase that I had thrown on the floor a few hours before. I took a fast shower, got dressed, braided my hair, and put a little bit of makeup on. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I could hear Cat’s laughter. I all but ran up the stairs and into the kitchen where Cat and my mom were talking.

“Well, well, look who’s finally awake,” Cat said and opened her arms, which I gladly fell into for a hug, “hi, honey.”

“Hi, Cat.” I replied and pulled away.

“Is that my Greta?” I heard Ryder call up the stairs.

“Ry!” I yelled and watched as he appeared in the kitchen.

The funny thing about the Denson family and mine, is that we’re all best friends. My mother and Cat have been best friends since, well, forever. Nathan and Hunter are only a year apart so when we’re at the house every summer they’re usually out, trying to get girls or going to parties. Ryder is six months older than me, but my best friend. I have friends in school, of course, but no one comes close to the relationship Ryder and I share. We’re inseparable for those three months that we get to be together. Dustin and Con are also a year apart and going through the beginning of their teenage years. Then there‘s poor ten year old Caleb, who follows them around, and the boys are all but forced to have him in their presence, most of the time. And then there’s Lacey and Chelsea, also a little less than a year apart and joined to each other’s hips.

Even though the Densons live in New Jersey too, they live over an hour away from us, and for whatever reason, we just don’t see them. On the off chance that we see them in any of the other three seasons, it’s a treat. All my life, I think I’ve been to their house all of seven times, and the same goes for them coming to ours. When I ask my mom about it, she usually just shrugs and says its too much of a hassle. Which really doesn’t make any sense, considering when we go to the Outer Banks its over an eight hour drive. But that’s the way it worked out.

Ryder and I hugged and then stepped apart. He put his arm around my waist and I leaned into his side. I never really realize how much I miss him until we get to see each other. His brother Con came up the steps with Caleb following him, I gave Con a high five before he went to go sit outside on the deck with Caleb. Nathan was the next to come up the steps.

"Uh oh,” Cat said, “someone looks bored.”

My mom laughed, “Poor Nath, is bored without his partner in crime.”

Nathan sighed, “I am not bored, I am lonely,” He cracked a smile.

“Where’s Hunt?” I asked.

“He’s coming in two days, he had to get off work and school doesn’t let out for him until tomorrow. Oh, and he has to wait for Clarke to pack and everything.” Ryder explained. I saw Nathan roll his eyes.

“Clarke?” I turned to Cat.

“Hunter’s girlfriend.” She said.

“Hunt has a girlfriend?”

“Yeah, she’s a lovely girl. You two will get along.” She shrugged.

“I can’t believe he’s going to ditch me for his girlfriend.” Nathan sighed.

Ryder shook his head, “He’s not going to ditch you. He was so excited on the phone when he heard that you’ll be here. Clarke’s not that hard to get along with, I am sure you’ll be…fine.”

Nathan muttered, “Fine,’ under his breath and walked down the stairs.

“He’ll get over it,” My mom shrugged, “We need you two to do us a huge favor.”

Ryder and I looked at each other and nodded, “What’s up?” he asked.

“Can you please, please go to the Food Lion that’s fifteen minutes away and get all of our necessities. Neither of us thought to pack food. We would go, but there’s too many kids running around. We’ve made up a huge list and everything for you two.” Cat explained.

Ryder unhooked his arm from my waist and walked toward our moms. I followed, “Sure we’ll go!” He said. He grabbed a set of keys that were in a bowl on the counter. My mom handed me the list and her credit card. I smiled and kissed her on the cheek before following a running Ryder down the stairs.

The ride to the store was shorter than I expected and soon we were walking through the store.

“Did I tell you I am in love with your shirt?” He said as he grabbed a cart.

I looked down at my sweatshirt. It was purple with the words ‘Beach Bum’ written on it. I laughed, “Huh, I hadn’t even realized I grabbed it when I went into the shower. That’s funny.”

He laughed and grabbed my hand with the one that wasn’t pushing the cart. “I missed you Greta, I was going to come down to you for your birthday. But since we’re going to be here, I’ll have to get you something special.”

I stood there for a second, he noticed and tugged at my hand, while looking at me. I also hadn’t realized that my birthday was coming up. With everything going on, my seventeenth birthday was the last thing I was thinking about. Now that I think about it, my birthday was only eight days away, which meant Christmas was only four days from now.

I ignored Ryder’s comment about getting me something special, because right now, I didn’t even want anything. Just to spend time with everyone, no matter what the circumstances were.

“Okay, so we need loads of cereal, milk, macaroni and cheese, fruit, bread…Jesus Christ there’s a lot on this list.” I mumbled. The list was a piece of notebook paper that was covered with items on the front and majority of the back.

Ryder shook his head and pulled the list out of my hand, “There can’t possibly be that much…” He flipped over to see the back side too, “Oh, well I stand corrected. Lets go Gee! We’ve got lots to get!” He exclaimed and started running with the cart’s handle in one hand and my hand in the other.

After two excruciating hours of getting lost and not finding what it was we needed, we were finally putting our two carts full of food on the check out line.

“Mission accomplished!” Ryder cheered and gave me a high five when we had finished bagging all of our items. We had both cringed at the total amount it would cost; neither of us had seen that much money spent on groceries before.

Just as we went to start putting everything into Ryder’s car I heard an all too familiar voice call my name.
♠ ♠ ♠
here it is!
Thank you to everyone who commented and subscribed already(:
It means so much that you like it so much! It makes me excited to write this.
shout out to hannahlovex3 for asking me to update this(:
Greta's outfit(:
comments and subscriptions are appreciated.
thank you everyone(:
<3Hannah

oh and do any of you put up characters? I want to, but I don't know how to go about finding pictures of characters. like what websites to you get the pictures from? help would be very appreciated.(: