Where The Waves Break

Clarke

I spun around at the sound of my name and saw a familiar face smiling at me.

“Blake!” I cried and gave him a quick hug.

“I thought that was you” He said ‘but I wasn’t sure because your hair is blue, but then I saw your friend…” his voice trailed off.

“Ryder.” I informed him as we both turned to look at him, he was busy putting the groceries in his car. “What color was my hair when we were um, together?”

“Black.” He smiled.

“Right! I had just dyed it like a month before we ended school.”

“But now you’re blonde and blue.”

I nodded, “I bleached it less then a year ago and added the blue about two months ago.”

He smiled. “Well, I like it, it fits you.”

“Thanks,” I shrugged, “anyway, what are you doing here?”

“I think the real question is, what are you doing here?”

I put my hands on my hips. “I asked you first Blake. You tell.”

He rolled his eyes, “I applied for a few colleges out here and got accepted and while that was going on my parents were looking for a house out here because my dad got laid off and they wanted to relocate. A house a few down from yours went up for sale because the people who owned it were getting old and they had no kids to share it with.

“When they weren’t here it was up for rent and it wasn’t doing too well so they put it up for sale. My parents brought it and moved out here shortly after. Its about a half an hour away from my college, so I still get to stay with them, which is fine I guess. Its better than living with shitty roommates. But what are you doing here?”

“Well, at about ten o’clock last night, my mom decided she wanted to spend Christmas out here. So, we packed up and drove. Got here at about eight this morning. I am not sure how long we’ll be out here for, and its really different here in the winter. I am not sure if I am liking it.” I explained.

Before Blake could reply, Ryder was halfway in his car and saying, “Gee, I think its time we get going. Its late, I am hungry and tired.”

Blake nodded, “Well, I guess I’ll see you around then.”

“Okay, it was great seeing you! Text me sometime, I’d love to catch up.”

He smiled, “I definitely will Greta,” He waved and walked toward the store.

By now Ryder was waiting impatiently in the driver’s seat. I climbed into the passenger’s seat and he pulled away.

“Who was that?” He asked and turned onto the road.

“Blake Franklin. We sort of , kind of, dated a year and a half ago over the summer. He was from Tennessee but I guess he lives out here now.” I shrugged.

“You two ’sort of, kind of,’ dated last year? What does that mean?”

“Oh come on, you know. It was a short summer fling, we were just enjoying the summer together. I didn’t really talk to him once school started. It was no big deal.”

He nodded and tapped his fingers to a none existent beat on the steering wheel. “You two were talking about your hair color. What is that all about?”

“It’s a popular topic.” I shrugged and looked out the window. I had never seen the Outer Banks covered in snow. In a way it kind of bothered me, I felt like I was so out of place. We were supposed to be here in the summer, not days before Christmas. Right now, we were supposed to be home in New Jersey.

Nathan and I were supposed to be telling our youngest siblings that our parents 'were out to dinner’ when they were really out buying last minute gifts that they wouldn’t bring inside until we were all out of sight. We were supposed to be wrapped in blankets in front of the fire, and drinking hot chocolate. I would be on the phone with Ryder talking about how I was finally going to seventeen in the matter of days. I would finally be able to drive! We would be planning when I should drive up to see him so we could spend a few days together to celebrate.

Instead, I was in a car with him, days before Christmas and my birthday. I wouldn’t be able to get my license until we went back home, whenever that would be. I am not saying I didn’t like being out here, its just I wish I could enjoy it more. The only reason we were here is because my parents got into some huge blowout fight and my mom was selfish and took us out here, instead of attempting to work it out.

Would I even see my dad on Christmas? Or at least talk to him on my birthday? I hadn’t gotten a call from him since we’d been here.

________

Two days later, Ryder and I were on the second level of the four stories in the house, or in the ‘Man Cave’. There were four bedrooms down here, three belonging to Hunter, Nathan, and Ryder. It was pretty dark down here because they had painted the walls black a few years back without our moms' knowing. They had a large couch set up in the middle, with a TV and video games on the a shelf on the opposing wall. Their bedrooms were spread out, Hunter’s on the right far wall, Ryder’s down the hall from his, and Nathan’s to the left. There was a bedroom that we used for beach and pool storage since there were sliding glass doors on the wall that faced the back of the couch, that lead to the pool.

I was laying on the floor in front of the couch, tossing a bouncy ball in the air. Ryder was sprawled out across the couch, playing a video game. It was snowing, and we were all cooped up inside the house. Christmas was just two days away and the house was all prepared. Ryder and I had gone tree and gift shopping yesterday. There was now a Christmas tree set up in the living room on the top floor. Cat had been smart enough to grab decorations from her house before she left.

Ryder and I had spent our day yesterday buying gifts. Our moms were going to go out tonight for last minute shopping. We were just waiting for Hunter and his girlfriend to show up sometimes soon.

As I thought this, Con came down the steps. “Hunter is here!” He yelled and ran back up. I quickly sprang to my feet, while the ball rolled under the couch. Ryder paused the game and stood up too, while grabbing my hand and tugging me up the stairs to the top floor where everyone stood.

“Hunt!” I bellowed and let go of Ryder’s hand to throw my arms around his older brother’s thin body.

“Greta!” He cried and hugged me back, putting his face in my hair. “Your hair is blue, and it smells really good.”

I laughed, “Thanks I guess.” We stepped apart. “See Ry, my hair color comes up quite often.”

A tiny blonde girl that I hadn’t realized was standing next to Nathan, smiled and said, “Its stands out, of course its going to come up.”

“Oh, Greta,” Hunt started saying before I could reply, “this is Clarke, my girlfriend. Clarke, this is Greta, Scarlett’s daughter and Ryder’s best friend.”

Clarke held out her hand, I shook it. “Its nice to meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you and your family.” She said and looked up at Hunter.

“Its nice to meet you too. Oh, well, Ryder’s told me a bit about you.” Every time Ry did, I did not picture this petite, blonde, friendly girl. Every girl of Hunter’s that I’d seen with him in this house, were usually brunette with piercings, tattoos, or multicolored hair. This girl was, well cute. Blonde and blue eyed, no piercing or tattoo visible on her thin body. She seemed nice.

My mom and Cat appeared from the deck outside, their cheeks red from the cold. My mom smiled, “Now that we’re all acquainted, Cat and I are going to step out. There’s plenty of pizza on its way for dinner. How about you guys all go downstairs watch movies, pop popcorn, and eat pizza? I am sure that’ll keep everyone occupied for a while.”

Clarke smiled, “Well that sounds lovely! All the little kids are so adorable.”

Cat smiled at her, “I am glad you’re comfortable here. But, Nathan, Hunter, and Ryder, do not put anything that’s inappropriate on, we are not scaring the kids just days before Christmas. Do you hear me?” They all nodded and moaned. “Clarke and Greta, I am leaving you two in charge of picking movies. We’re leaving.” Cat and my mom each gave us a kiss on the head and said ‘Thank you’ before running down the stairs to leave before anyone else noticed.

Clarke clapped her hands and said, “This is going to be fun!”

Ryder and I shared a look. Clarke was definitely not the type of girl I would see Hunt picking out, not at all. This would definitely be fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like all three chapters so far are so...fillerish.
I am just trying to get this started. But now, we're all acquainted with everyone.(: speaking of which, I have posted characters, check them out!
In the last chapter, I had it so that when they were in the kitchen on the bottom level, and on this one, its the top. I hadn't really decided the house layout in my head when I wrote the last one. So here's how I picture now, the bottom level(basement) is the theater, the second level(ground level) is the Man Cave, which pretty much is a basement layout with bedrooms and such, on the third floor is all the bedrooms, and on the top is the dining room, kitchen, living room. I hope that clears things up. I am going to fix the last chapter after I post this one.
Anyway, the feedback so far has been fantastic! it means so so much(:
I really appreciate it, keep it up?
Oh, and I also posted a new story today. It would mean a lot if you checked it out.
Thank you everyone, tell me what you think(:
~Hannah<3