Status: Active

Let's Kill Tonight

16. Scared With You

********

Grace was happy to be back in the safety of Pete and the guys. They had all managed to move into Joe’s place that used to belong to his grandparents. Even most of Grace’s items from her old apartment had made it here finally thanks to her friend shipping them. By the time everything had calmed down and explained to Grace how the new hideout came to be she wrapped herself around Patrick and squeezed till her arms hurt. She finally felt safe.

She had missed Joe and Andy as well even though she had just met them before all vampire crap. Then Pete, her rescuer, she was in awe how controlled he had been around all the vampires and human blood. It seemed as if she had missed so much while trapped by Brendon for those few days.

Patrick was still worried as they sat alone in the new kitchen, “So are you sure he didn’t to anything bad to you?”

“Define bad,” Grace pulled her cup of tea closer, “Honestly, he kept me fed but the blood loss was getting to me after awhile.”

“But you don’t have any bites.” Patrick paused looking sick to his stomach, “Unless they’re in places I can’t see.”

Grace smiled at his innocence even at this age, “Brendon kept me safe. Most of them were on my arm till William healed me. Brendon really didn’t do anything else but take blood.”

Grace didn’t need to go into great lengths about the time in the cell or even out in the woods and she was sure it was nice to spare Patrick of the details. She was ready to forget everything that happened. Grace was sure she would have nightmares for that next two years. Almost like the way she did when she was a kid.

“Grace.” Patrick stirred her from her thoughts, “There is some other news I need to tell you.”

“What is it?”

“You know how Brendon said he visited your mother that night but got interrupted by the Dandies before you were taken?”

Grace nodded and she noticed Patrick looked as if he was going to throw up. Grace moved closer to him and rubbed his back. He seemed to be having trouble finding the right words. Patrick shook his head and tried to keep his composure.

“Patrick, what is it?”

“He killed her.” Patrick looked down at his hands, “It was on the news and everything. They called me. Told me she fell off the roof but I had Joe hack into the security footage. He just threw her.”

Patrick started to cry and Grace was taken back. Patrick wasn’t one to have a tough shell but this seemed a little out of the norm. Grace knew Patrick was aware of how she felt for her mom. Hell, Grace would have thrown her over herself if she could. Patrick wasn’t even making sense anymore and Grace just hugged him. It seemed to be what he needed. Perhaps Patrick was just scared. The Dandies taking over wasn’t exactly something a person could adjust to.

“Pat, its okay,” She sighed softly, “I didn’t care for her.”

“I was so worried about you. He’s so ruthless Grace. I was sure after what I saw I wasn’t going to see you again.”

Grace decided to change the subject. She started to talk about the vampires and the different blood types. Perhaps this could be new valuable information for Patrick. The information could be a new discover to Patrick’s research.

Patrick listened and nodded, “But William didn’t say anything about tasting the difference?”

“No, I called him out on it and he got upset.”

A voice interrupted them, “Maybe William’s getting too old.”

Pete rested against the door frame watching the two of them. Grace smiled and bit her lip. There were countless questions that she wanted to ask Pete. He looked normal and calm compared to the last time she saw him.

“Maybe he is.” Patrick got up and walked past them, “I’ll be downstairs.”

Pete sauntered over to Grace and stopped right in front over her. She wrapped her arms around him and she felt him slowly enclosed his arms around her to return the embrace. She rested her head on his chest and wasn’t surprised when she didn’t hear a heartbeat.

“Pete, I just wanted to thank you again for saving me.”

Pete slowly pulled away nodded, “No problem. I was just happy to see you alive.”

“I’m happy to be alive. I thought Brendon was going to kill me and then when William got involved I…”

Grace let her sentence trail off as she stared at Pete. He seemed uncomfortable out of no where. She could see the color fading in his face. Her memories flashed back William and how his body reacted to blood. She remembered how pale he looked when he was about to feed. Pete was getting hungry. It probably didn’t help that she hugged him, letting her body be that close to him when he’s a vampire.

“Oh god, Pete I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s okay.” Pete walked past Grace to the fridge, “I have to be able to fight it.”

“How has that been going?”

“Good actually,” Pete pulled out his supplement in its own lovely concoction, “Almost too well according to Patrick.”

“Oh really?”

Grace waiting for an answer watched Pete take down his drink in large gulps. She watched as his body language changed and some color returned to his body. She wanted to ask what it was like or hell, what was in there that made him stabilize. Perhaps she could ask Patrick in the morning.

Pete licked his lips erasing any trace of the drink, “Yeah, he thinks I should take this entire change slower but I’m fine. I like the pace we’re going at. I feel great and can handle my hunger.”

“Well, Patrick is Patrick. Always worrying and panicking. He just wants you safe.”

“I think he’s afraid I’ll turn into one of them.”

It was clear he meant the Dandies. The way the tone had changed in Pete’s voice had showed the amount of anger he had for the vampire clan. She didn’t blame Pete for being upset with the Dandies. Those vampires took away his normal life and now forced him to be apart of the undead.

“Honestly,” Pete turned to Grace, “I don’t think I could ever be one of them and I don’t think you’re telling Patrick about everything in that house either. Something happened. They’re not the type of creatures that have humanity.”

“You have yours.” Grace hadn’t even thought twice before she spoke, “Don’t you? Or you’d just rip me apart here.”

“I fight to keep mine.” Grace could hear a low growl, “This isn’t something I can just adjust to. Sure, I’m doing fine but I have to fight to stop the monster in me from killing the people I care about. The Dandies gave in long ago.”

Grace stayed quiet not knowing what to say. The awkward silence grew between them. Grace contemplating apologizing and eventually did. Pete nodded not changing his deadpan demeanor.

Grace changed the subject as Pete sat down at the table, “So are you willing to tell me what exactly happened to Patrick’s place? I heard some details but I want to know what happened.”

“Tell me everything that happened when you were with Brendon and I’ll tell you everything.”

Seemed like a reasonable deal to her.

*********
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh guys, I am so sorry I haven't really been updating. I feel horrible about it. Anyways, a small filler chapter before we get back to the action of this story.
Thanks for reading as always and hopefully you'll stick around for more.