Status: DO NOT BE A SILENT READER! WE ALL HATE SILENT READERS!!! XDDDDDDDDDD

Phoenix Wright: Guilty As Charged

Case 2: Turnabout Cruise Part 1

Date: 6:36 PM, January 1st.
Place: Gatewater Luxury Cruise Ship.

I was sitting on a recliner chair, enjoying the gentle sea breeze and sounds of dolphins jumping majestically past the ship. It was the Gatewater Luxury Cruise Ship, the fanciest ship money can buy. Yes, this ship had recliner chairs! It was that kind of fancy. The staff would wait on your hand and foot as you just relaxed, either partaking in the party, the first day of the year party, fishing, or just simply enjoying everything, like I was.

Phoenix, or Nick as I like to call him, had promised me he'd take me here as it was the first day of another year of his successful career as a lawyer. He thought a celebration was in order.
"Maya," he said, putting a magazine he was reading down.
I popped my head from the other room of the office I was in.
"Yes?"
He smiled, "Come take a look at this."
I walked over to his seat, stood behind him and looked at the magazine.

It was an article of a very showy cruise ship, the Gatewater ship. The image showed a huge ship and looked very, very fancy.
I mumbled, "Mmm. Nice. But there's nothing you can do about it..."
"That's where you're wrong, Maya," he grinned. "I've been saving up and I promise to take you there at the start of next year."
I hugged him and yelled, "Oh, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, NICK! You're the BEST!"
I swear he replied, "I know."

The party was loud; music booming at full volume. Confetti everywhere. Laughter muffled by the music. Even the fish seemed to be enjoying the festivities. I thought about joining the party, but I had a bit of a headache.
Oww. My head. It's too loud. I guess Pearly's thinking we're on a romantic vacation, I thought to myself, spitefully.
I decided I couldn't stand much more partying. I partied too hardied, as "they" say, or something like that anyway. I climbed down the stairs to one of the lower levels of the ship. It was much quiter. I sat down in the comfiest chair I could see and sighed. I was satsified.

Suddenly, Nick fell down the stairs.
"Oh my Gosh!" I screamed. "Are you OK, Nick?!"
He groaned as I helped him up. He had a goofy grin on his face, his hair was messed up and his eyes were red and seemed to be slowly going to the back of his head.
I said, "Nick. Are you drunk?"
He moaned, "Somewhat... I need to lie down."
I lay him down on a seat next to me and began to fix his hair with my hands.
"Thanks, Maya," he said, with a drunken smile. "Oww, my head hurts..."
"Don't talk," I commanded.
He didn't speak.

I sat there, watching him sleep. I'd never admit it, but I love him. I really do. He seemed so peaceful as he slept, despite the fact he was drunk. Then I got worried.
Ahh! What if he never wakes up? Oh no, I thought, panicked.
I shook him awake. He seemed somewhat better.
"Nnngh," he said, pushing me away. "What is it, Maya?"
I replied, "Um, I'm just worried if you fall asleep whilst drunk, the blood'll rush to your head or something and you won't ever wake up!!!"
He laughed, "Don't be s-silly, Maya... Ugh... Alright, fine, I'll stay awake. Bad girl. Bad, bad girl. Hee hee hee heee!!!!"
Yup. He's drunk, I thought.

A few hours later, Nick started coughing badly.
I'll never relax, I thought.
I patted his back as he coughed.
"Thanks," he thanked me.
"Need anything?" I asked.
"Water would be nice."
I joked, "Fresh or salt?"
He rolled his eyes and they almost got stuck in the back of his head.
"AHH!" I screamed. "DON'T do that!"
He mumbled, "Oops, sorry. Please go down to the basement and get me a drink. I'd appreciate it."
He started coughing so more, so I figured I should probably do as he asked.

I found the stairs to the basement and walked down them. They were creaky, obviously old. I must admit, I kind of wimped out a little bit. Okay, maybe a lot. But who can blame me? Basements are creepy. I continued to walk down the stairs and I was not surprised to find the lighting was dim. I couldn't find a light switch, so I just felt my way around. I crashed into some weird thing. I wasn't sure what it was. It was squishy but somewhat hard at the same time. I guess it must've been a sack or something. Hmph, I was wrong.

Feeling my way around, I found my hands holding a bottle. It seemed different somehow, though. I shook the bottle. It was empty. I don't know why, but I brought my hands down to the bottom of the bottle and cut my finger.
"Ow!" I said.
The bottom was sharp.
This can't be right, I thought.
It had clearly been smashed. Suddenly, the lights turned on.

A man I didn't know sat in the opposite corner of the room. His head was down and he wasn't showing his face. A red liquid, clearly blood, was dripping down his head. He wasn't moving. I knew right away he was dead. I looked at the bottle in my hand. It wasn't a water bottle, it was an alcohol bottle, the kind made of glass. The bottom was smashed and had blood on it. Any normal person would've dropped the bottle, but I continued to hold it. I ran up the stairs, not saying a word.

"Oh," said Nick. "Did you get me some water?"
He sensed something was wrong when I didn't reply.
"Maya? Everything alright?"
I shook my head and led him down to the basement. He gasped when he saw the body. Then his attention was brought to my hand and the bottle in it.
"No!" I screamed. "It's not what you think! I'd never..."
He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "I know. I know, Maya. I think the best thing to do is to put the bottle down. We should probably tell the staff."
I cried, "But... Nick.... The police will see my fingerprints on the bottle and I'm the one who discovered the body.... I'm a suspect.... Everyone will suspect me... If people find out, there'll be a terrible commotion and everyone will be scared of me.... Nick...."

Nick shook his head and said, "We have to tell the staff, Maya. They'll make sure nobody leaves the ship and hopefully the real killer won't escape. Of course, they won't actually tell anyone there's been a murder. Nobody will suspect you. There might be a witness, too. Who can prove you're not guilty. And I'm here, too."
I cried some more, "Prove? Prove me not guilty? I'm going to be a main suspect, I just know it!"
Nick patted me on the back affectionately.
"Don't cry, Maya. You only discovered the body and I know it. Let's investigate before we tell anyone, shall we?"

Suddenly, one of the staff members came down the stairs.
"Oh," she smiled, "I just came down here to get a AHHHHH!!!!"
Nick approached the lady and patted her on the back.
"Please, miss, calm down."
The lady hid behind Nick and pointed at my hand yelling, "MURDERER! BLOODY MURDERER!"
Nick hushed her, "Please, miss, don't cause a commotion. We discovered this body a few minutes ago. My friend came down to get me a bottle of water and this is the first bottle she felt, so she picked it up and realised it was like that."
The lady was crying, "Oh... I-I'll go c-call the police...."

I cried, "She suspects me, Nick."
"I know," Nick said. "Don't put more pressure on me... Now I'm a suspect, too."
I screamed, "WHO'S GOING TO HELP ME NOW?!"
Nick replied, "We'll find someone.... I wonder if.... Kay?"
I looked around, only to find the body and Nick.
"Kay?"
"Kay."
♠ ♠ ♠
The start of the next case, Turnabout Cruise. I hope you enjoy! Please be sure to read the next chapters. Thank you!