Status: Completed

Consume Me Like a Fire

Court Room.

"Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due." ~ Domitus Ulpian

Shiloh woke up early the next morning and got dressed and ready. She was ready at 10 and had two whole hours to waste before she met up with Spencer. Bored, she decided to cook something. Cooking always calmed her down and right now she needed it.

Shiloh walked into the kitchen and grabbed her only cookbook. She wiped the dust off and opened it up to the dessert section. There was a recipe for a simple yellow cake. Smiling, she checked to make sure she had everything before she began. Grabbing her apron, she pulled it on and gathered all her ingredients.

Shiloh got so into it that she lost track of time. She was spreading chocolate icing onto the now cooled cake when her cell phone rang.

“Hello?” she asked shouldering the phone to finish her icing.

“Shiloh, where are you? It’s half past 12,” Spencer said on the other end.

“Really?! I’m so sorry! I didn’t even notice the time. I’ll leave now!” she rushed to put her baking utensils away while Spencer laughed.

“I figured that’s what happened. Don’t worry, I’m almost to your apartment now. See you in a minute.” Shiloh rushed even more to make sure everything was picked up. She didn’t bother to take off her apron or check her appearance; she was too focused on cleaning. Her doorbell rang a few minutes later.

“Hey Spence. Sorry about that, come in,” she said opening the door. Spencer sent her a smile and walked in.

“It smells good in here. Were you cooking?” he asked heading for the kitchen.

“Yeah, I made a cake, hence why I didn’t know what time it was,” she giggled nervously. Spencer eyed the cake hungrily.

“Sorry, I seem to have a permanent sweet tooth,” he replied and looked at Shiloh before smirking.

“You have icing on your cheek,” he teased. Shiloh flushed red and wiped her cheeks to try to get it off. Spencer chuckled and wiped it off for her.

“So… want a piece?” she asked shyly. Why did she always get so nervous around him? He’s a friend now. She shouldn’t be feeling like a little school girl!

“That would be great,” Spencer beamed. Shiloh cut them both a piece and got the milk.

“So did you catch up on your sleep?” she asked taking a bite. They sat at her kitchen island on the barstools.

“Eh, somewhat. I got caught up reading the files for Matthew’s court trial. I talked to the prosecutor this morning. He thinks he has it in the bag to get him life without parole,” he explained. Shiloh nodded and stared down at her cake. Spencer noticed her silence and stopped eating to look at her.

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked softly.

“No, not really. The last thing I want to do is see that man again and have to talk about what he did…” she mumbled and pushed her cake away.

“Shiloh, you have nothing to worry about. I’ll be there and so will Derek and the rest of the team. We’ll be testifying as well.”

“Spencer… I’m scared, no I’m terrified. I don’t want him looking at me or talking to me…” Spencer stood up and wrapped his long arms around the tiny blonde. His cheeks tinged a light pink color when she hugged him back.

“I’ll make sure that he won’t do anything else to you. I can't promise that he won’t try to talk to you, but he can't do anything else. Promise,” Spencer told her.

“Thanks, Spence. What else did you need to talk to me about?” she asked finally pulling away. Spencer sat back down in his seat.

“The Prosecutor, Bill Jameson, said to go over the questions with you so you won’t be blindsided in the court room. He’ll be asking you things like if Matthew ever attempted to hurt you. Did he treat you differently than the others? What did Katie say about him? Things like that.” Shiloh rubbed her temples and nodded. The interrogation began.

~*~

2 days later

~*~

“We’re almost there,” Spencer said as he drove them to the courthouse. Shiloh nodded and made sure he blouse was tucked into her high waist, skirt. She slipped on her black heels and waited for Spencer to park. Once he did, he walked around to her side of the car and helped her out.

As expected, the news crews were waiting for anyone involved in the trial. They took pictures and asked questions, but the pair ignored them and walked into the building. Derek was waiting for them just inside the doors.

“How was it?” he asked as they walked to their designated room.

“About as good as you would expect. They asked questions and didn’t receive any answers,” Spencer replied. Shiloh felt her butterflies come back, but these were the bad kind. It wasn’t the same feeling she got when she knew Spencer was coming over. These were her scared butterflies. She was going to see Mr. Fritz again…

Shiloh slowly linked her arm with Spencer’s as they walked. Derek and Spencer both saw this, but said nothing of it. Derek knew the two were getting closer and Spencer knew Shiloh was a touchy-feely person and he was getting used to it. It made him feel needed when she reached out for him; it was a good feeling to have.

The three of them walked into the court room and took a seat in the first row behind the prosecutor where the rest of the team sat. Shiloh said hello to everyone and sat down with Spencer. She rung her hands together in nervousness.

“Just try to relax. It’ll be over before you know it,” Spencer whispered in her ear. She nodded and tried to do as he advised, but that was hard as soon as she saw Mr. Fritz being escorted in. He had a 5 o’clock shadow and his hair looked uncombed.

He sat down next to his lawyer and looked around. Shiloh tried to sink further into her seat, but unfortunately that didn’t work and he saw her. His eyes widened and he smiled widely at her. She looked away and to Spencer.

“He keeps looking at me,” she whispered in his ear. Spencer leaned down so he was close to her face.

“Look at me, Shiloh. He can’t get to you and if he even tried, I wouldn’t let him. He’s not sane and he’s delusional. After today, you’ll never have to see him again,” he whispered back. Shiloh nodded and smiled at him. He slipped his fingers through hers and squeezed gently. It made her feel better.

Looking back up, Shiloh saw Mr. Fritz glaring at Spencer, but she ignored him and waited for the judge to arrive. Once she got there, everything started. One by one they were all called to the stand and the FBI agents recounted what happened. When Spencer was up there, Shiloh sat closer to Derek so she wouldn’t feel isolated.

“Dr. Reid, can you explain to me what happened when you found Ms. Montgomery? “ Bill asked. Spencer nodded.

“I found an attic door in the lecture halls of QU and went up to investigate. I found Shiloh there and she was border line hysterical. We were about to go back down, but Matthew Fritz came up and blocked our exit—“

“This man here?” Bill asked pointing to Mr. Fritz.

“Yes, him. He became angry when he saw me with Shiloh. He then pulled out a large hunting knife and that’s when I pulled out my gun. I tried to reason with him, but it was beyond that point. He just wanted Shiloh. Things got heated as we argued and when he lunged, I pushed Shiloh away and fired my gun. I shot him in the shoulder and he cut my arm,” Spencer said.

“He didn’t just cut you, did he? It was worse than that,” Bill said.

“Yes, I had to go to the hospital and get 32 stitches in my forearm. It’s still healing,” he said showing his bandaged arm. Shiloh cringed and forced herself to not look at her former teacher. Once they let Spencer go, it was her turn. Everything was a blur and she gave her oath and sat down.

“Shiloh, what is your relationship like with Mr. Fritz?”

“He was my psychology teacher.”

“Nothing more? Were you two having any sexual relations?” Bill asked her point blank. Shiloh forced herself to remain calm.

“No, he was just my teacher, nothing else.”

“Can you tell me what happened after Katie was taken into police custody?”

“Uh, the FBI agents left and then the press showed up. I was trying to get coffee and they bombarded me… Mr. Fritz showed up and led me away from the cameras. He led me into one of the lecture halls and I thanked him. My phone rang and it was Dr. Reid calling to check up on me. I said goodbye to Mr. Fritz and answered the call. Once I hung up, I saw Mr. Fritz was still there. He told me not to talk to Dr. Reid anymore. I got angry and told him it was none of his business who I talked to…” Shiloh glanced at Mr. Fritz and saw his eyes boring into hers. She gulped and looked down at her hands.

“It’s okay, Shiloh. Go on,” Bill urged her. She took a deep breath and continued.

“He uh he shoved me against a wall and held me there. He said I was his and then covered my mouth with a cloth. I passed out and later I woke up in an attic. The door was locked and I couldn’t get out. Mr. Fritz showed up and acted like we were at home… I convinced him to go get us dinner and while he was gone, Dr. Reid showed up. The rest happened as Dr. Reid said earlier. Mr. Fritz got mad and came at us with a knife. I was pushed away and Dr. Reid shot him in the shoulder,” Shiloh explained. She didn’t want to call Spencer by his first name in the court room.

The defense didn’t ask her any questions and she was able to sit back down. Shiloh’s legs were shaking when she returned to Spencer’s side. He immediately wrapped a comforting arm around her and spoke soothing words in her ear.

“Stop touching her dammit!” the two looked up and saw Matthew standing and glaring at them. Shiloh’s heart beat picked up and she held onto Spencer’s arm for dear life.

“Order!” The judge yelled. Matthew’s lawyer rested a hand on his shoulder, but Matthew shrugged it off.

“Shiloh’s mine. Get your filthy hands off her or so help me, I’ll make you regret it,” he hissed at Spencer. Spencer remained silent and just watched him closely. This pissed Matthew off even more and he tried to walk over to them, but the police guards stopped him and made him sit back down.

“Order in my court room! I think I’ve seen and heard enough here. Matthew Fritz, I hereby sentence you to life in prison without parole!” The judge yelled and slammed her hammer down. Shiloh’s eyes watered with happy tears and she buried her face in Spencer’s button up shirt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait(: Comments are loved and please go check out my new Emmett Cullen story :D