Status: Complete - I am currently working on a sequel, but won't post until I have it half finished. Look for it in late November.

Tattooed

Happy Birthday

“Wake up! Wake up!” Michelle was jumping on the bed next to me.

“What?” I groaned. She then proceeded to push me off the bed and onto the floor. All the girls had crashed at the DiBenedetto’s house last night.

“Happy Birthday!” Now both her and Val were jumping on the bed I’d just been peacefully sleeping in. Note to self: never spend the night before my birthday with these girls again. Jazz pulled me off the floor as Eliza ran in.

“Come on! Shopping!” Every girl stopped what they were doing and ran to get ready. I was starting to feel bad at this point that Jim didn’t have a girlfriend. That’s going to be my new goal.

“Danni! Get ready!” Michelle yelled as I stood trying to wake up. I scratched the back of my neck walking into the bathroom. I quickly got ready before Jazz dragged me out of the house. We piled into the twin’s parent’s SUV, their mom driving, and headed to the mall. We spent most of the day buying stuff.

“So when are we meeting up with the guys?” I asked as we walked out of the 6th store today, bags in hands. We had gotten Christmas gifts for everyone plus stuff for ourselves. I’d even managed to get the girls’ gifts without them noticing.

“Now actually.” Val looked at her watch. “We about 5 minutes late.” She laughed. We had decided to throw this little celebration at Zack’s. Once we got there, we all piled out and I grabbed my bag.

“I’ll be back to take you guys home around 10.“ Mr. DiBenedetto said and pulled out of the drive way. I turned away from the car and dropped my bags instantly at what I saw in the middle of my front yard.

“Hey heartbreaker.” A thick French accented voice spoke. I quickly ran and jumped on David, wrapping my legs around his waist, hugging him. Had he not been expecting it, I would have knocked him to the ground.

“Oh my god! What are you doing here?” I squeezed him tighter.

“What you thought we’d let you celebrate your birthday alone?” I looked up to the front porch of my house and there they stood. Pierre, Chuck, my aunt Kayla, and Uncle Jean. Pierre and Chuck heading toward David and I.

“I figured I’d bring the family to California for Christmas but Jay and John are spending it with their girlfriend’s families. When Pierre told these two his plans they threatened to hide in his suitcases unless we brought them willingly, so we gave them Jay and John’s tickets.” Aunt Kayla said from where she stood.

“We just got here half an hour ago.” David said. I looked down at him, still having my legs and arms around him.

“David, put her down! I want my hug!” David released my waist and I hopped down before giving Chuck a hug, then Pierre. I turned to see all of my friends standing in a group giving me a weird look.

“Guys, this is Pierre, my cousin I lived with, him mom and dad, Kayla and Jean, Chuck, and David. These guys were my best friends.” I pointed to each in turn.

“Were? I’ve been replaced?” David pouted.

“No. I’ve just added to the list. This is Jazz, Eliza, Matt, Matt, Val, Michelle, Brian, Jimmy, and my boyfriend Zack.” I named them from left to right as Zack joined my side. I thought I saw disappointment shoot across David’s face but I could be mistaken.

“Hey baby. Hey guys. She’s done nothing but talk about you.” Zack flashed them a smile. I saw Jimmy heading toward the bags I dropped out of the corner of my eye.

“Touch them and I’ll kill you.” I warned but he dove toward them. I ran over and sat on his back pushing the bag out of reach knocking over one that had some of the new clothes I bought. Michelle quickly picked everything up and handed the bags to me.

“Get off me.” Jim whined from under me. I got off him.

“Let me go hid these and I’ll be right back.” I dashed up to my room, past a sleeping Aaron, and hid the bags at the top of my closet. I’d wrap everything tonight.

“Hurt her and I’ll shatter every bone in your body.” I heard my uncle whisper into Zack’s ear as I neared the group. He just nodded.

“Party time!” Zina had joined the group outside. We all went to the beach and I saw everything decorated in Christmas lights and birthday decorations. My mom and the rest of Zack’s family was already out there.

“This is beautiful. Thank you guys! How cold do you think the water is?” I watched the water turn white at the tip then slam into the shore.

“Can’t be too cold. Look.” Zack pointed down the beach at people, well specks, playing in the water at the public part about half a mile.

“What do you guys say to swimming?” Every one agreed, except my mom, aunt, uncle, and Z’s parents. Jimmy, Brian, Jason, and both Matts went with Zack to get the trucks they’d all left there for all the times everyone would hang out surfing and just chilling at the beach. The girls and my older friends walked toward my house. “Where are you guys staying?” I asked my 3 longest friends.

“Here. Your mom invited us.” Pierre said.

“I take it your parent’s are getting the spare room and you guys are crashing in the attic?” My parent’s had converted the attic into another living room.

“Yeah. Pretty much.” He laughed at we neared the door.

“Ok, everyone kept quiet. Aaron’s asleep on the couch.” I put my finger to my lips and we all snuck upstairs. The guys went to the door next to mine, to the attic, and the girls went in my room. I pulled open the drawer that contained over 20 bikinis. Just because I couldn’t wear them yet doesn’t mean I didn’t buy them. The girls grabbed their. Michelle went into the bathroom to change as Val took the closet and Eliza went to the bathroom down the hall. I was still trying to decide on which one I wanted to wear today. It was the first time since I moved here that’s I was going to be in the water, well second but I don’t count the first due to not remembering it much, and the first time any of them were going to see me in a bikini.

“This one.” Jazz said and pulled out one. The top looked like clam shells that’d been placed seaweed that tied into a halter top. The bottoms were normal bottom but had a ruffled ‘skirt’ over it. It was more like a strip of material because it was only an inch and a half but it went with the seaweed look. Zack had picked it out when we went to the mall as a joke because of him pulling me out of the ocean.

“I was thinking this one.” I laughed and stepped into the bathroom went Michelle came out. I quickly put on the suit and looked in the mirror. My torso had multiple bruises, both new and old. I sighed and walked out. Everyone would just think I’d ran into more things. We grabbed a few towels and headed down the stairs. The guys had beaten us outside.

“There’s my mermaid.” Zack said and placed his arms around my shoulders laughing a bit that I was wearing the bikini.

“Damn girl, can’t you go a day without injuring yourself?” The bigger Matt said ruffling my hair before putting his arm around Val.

“What can I say? I run into everything.” I saw both David and Jimmy look me up and down staring at all the purple, green, and yellow spots. I brushed it off. Next thing I know I’m being tossed in the water.

“How cold is it?” Jason yelled from the group laughing. I looked up and Chuck before pulling him in. Teach him to toss me in. We spent about 2 hours playing in the chilled water before it got too dark. We’d ended up playing chicken; I ended up winning when I was on David’s shoulders before Zack toppled him over and grabbed me. Somewhere in all the fun Chase had shown up.

“Alright kids. Time for cake!” David, Jimmy, Chase, and Chuck all raced up the beach tripping each other to be the first ones there. It was a relief that everyone got along so well.

“I win!” Jimmy yelled before being tackled by Jason.

“Settle down. Settle down.” My mom was laughing too. We all got up there. They sung the happy birthday song but when it was time to say my name it was a big mess. Jimmy had yelled ‘gummy worn’, David yelled ‘heartbreaker’ and my northern family saying ’Rory’.

“Rory?” Val asked once the song was over.

“My middle name is Aurora, so they all called me Rory.” I answered. Zack’s dad and my uncle made a fire in center of the circle of logs. Everyone sat in on the logs and talk as we ate. I ended up stealing Zack’s hoodie.

“Time for presents.” Jimmy said handed me the first bag after we got back outside from changing. It was a sketch pad. The cover was a crimson color with a vine design in each corner in metal. In the center was a pentacle with bats forming a square. I gave him a hug. I open all of the gift that’s been in the pile. I received CD s, a new pair of chucks, and clothes from most my new friends and Zack’s family. My family from up north got me stuff for my guitars.

“Here.” My mom handed me a thin box. I opened it and saw a picture of a drum set. I looked at her confused. “Look closer.” I looked at the background and realized it was the room in the attic. I got really excited.

“You seriously got me a drum set?!?!” I was bouncing up and down in my seat.

“Your friends said you were learning really quick so I figured you could use one.” She hugged me. “Happy birthday.” I thanked her.

“Wait, won’t it bug Aaron?” I asked suddenly not so excited any more.

“Well, we had the attic sound proofed when we finished it so no.” All the excitement returned.

“Wait, you still have more. Don’t take off just yet.” David said and handed me a box. I opened it and found a hemp bracelet that matched the one he was wearing. It was wrapped around what felt to be a CD but it was covered. I put the bracelet on and pulled the paper off to see it wasn’t just any CD. Across the top it read ‘Reset’.

“You guys recorded an album and didn’t tell me? I see what kind of friends you are.” I scolded them playfully. I knew they’d gotten a contract with a small record company.

“That’s the first copy. It won’t be released until next month. We thought you deserved it.” David flashed me a smile.

“I have something from your dad.” Chase whispered and motioned for me to follow him. Everyone followed us. Sitting in my drive way was black and blue Kawasaki ZX- 6R Ninja with a big red bow on it sitting next to Chase‘s bike. My eyes went wide.

“Whoa! Who got you that thing?” Brian spoke and walked over to it with me. I pulled the card off of it. ‘Happy Birthday baby girl. Chase is going to teach you to ride.’ was all it said.

“My dad.” I held up the note.

“Is he trying to kill you?” My mother asked looking at the bike.

“Nope. I get riding lessons too.” I smiled at her pulling the bow off of it.

“And then there’s this. This is your Christmas present so you can’t open it.” Chase said handing me the box off the ground. I took it and held onto it.

“Are you going to take it for a ride?” Brian asked running his hand over it.

“Tomorrow. It dark.” I got on the bike just to make sure I wasn’t too short. My feet touched the ground so it was all good.

“Last one.” Zack said handing me a box that fit in the palm of my hand once I was off the bike. I opened it to the most beautiful heart shaped locket I had ever seen. It was white gold with a very elegant ‘Z‘ engraved and a blue topaz at the bottom. I looked up at him. “Open it.” I popped it open and saw 2 pictures of us. One was us kissing and the other was both of us smiling, he was behind me.

“Thank you Zack!” I kissed him. He took the box from me and placed the chain around my neck. An SUV pulled into the driveway. I looked at Zack’s watch; it was 10 already.

“We’ll see you soon.” Michelle hugged me as all of the girls and the Berry twins got in the car. I waved as they pulled out of the driveway.

“I should get going too.” Brian spoke and hugged me. “Happy birthday brat.” He ruffled my hair laughing. He’d gotten in the habit of calling me that but it didn’t bother me.

“Yeah, I’m going to head out too. Happy birthday.” Matt hugged me and the two left.

“Let’s go see this drum set!” Jimmy bounced on the ball of his feet.

“Let me go get my stuff from the backyard.” I went to walk to the back of the house.

“It’s ok sweetie. We’re going to enjoy the fire and California weather for a bit and when we come in, we’ll bring it.” I smiled at my aunt before the boys and I took off into the house. I was the first to reach the attic and there is sat. The set was identical to the one Jimmy was using except the color; Jimmy’s was red as where mine was a teal. It was sitting between all of my guitars, amps, and the piano that was once downstairs. How in the hell they got that thing up here I had no idea. I didn’t even notice it was missing from downstairs. I took a seat behind the kit and started tapping out the most recent beat Jimmy had thought me.

“Still a little soft on the hits there Gummy worm.” I tried it again hitting harder. “There you go.” He smiled and sat on one of the 3 bean bag chairs. David and Pierre took seat on the couch. Zack took the closest bean bag to me, Chase between him and Jim, and Chuck stood watching.

“That’s not too bad.” He said leaning on the wall.

“She’s a quick learner.”

“When are you going to play her that song David?” Pierre shoved his shoulder smiling.

“Song?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Damn it Pierre.” David sighed. “I guess I have to show you now.” He stood and turned on one of the amps, plugging in his guitar. I got up and let Chuck have at the drums. Pierre grabbed the electric guitar he’d brought and flipped an amp on. I should have known they wouldn’t leaved those at home. David set up the only mic I had.

“You can’t laugh.” He gave me a playful glare. He started to strum and Chuck and Pierre quickly fell in. “Another day is going by/ I'm thinking about you all the time/ But you're out there/ And I'm here waiting/ And I wrote this letter in my head/ Cuz so many things were left unsaid/ But now you're gone/ And I can't think straight/ This could be the one last chance/ To make you understand/ I'd do anything/ Just to hold you in my arms/ To try to make you laugh/ Cuz somehow I can't put you in the past/ I'd do anything/ Just to fall asleep with you/ Will you remember me?/ Cuz I know/ I won't forget you/ Together we broke all the rules/ Dreaming of dropping out of school/ And leave this place/ To never come back/ So now maybe after all these years/ If you miss me have no fear/ I'll be here/ I'll be waiting/ This could be the one last chance to make you understand/ And I just can't let you leave me once again/ I'd do anything/ Just to hold you in my arms/ To try to make you laugh/ Cuz somehow I can't put you in the past/ I'd do anything/ Just to fall asleep with you/ Will you remember me?/ Cuz I know/ I won't forget you/ I close my eyes/ And all I see is you/ I close my eyes/ I try to sleep/ I can't forget you/ Nanana/ And I'd do anything for you/ Nanana/ I'd do anything/ Just to hold you in my arms/ To try to make you laugh/ Cuz somehow I can't put you in the past/ I'd do anything/ Just to fall asleep with you/ Will you remember me?/ Cuz I know/ I won't forget you/ I'd do anything/ To fall asleep with you/ I'd do anything/ There's nothing I won't do/ I'd do anything/ To fall asleep with you/ I'd do anything/ Cuz I know/ I won't forget you.” I gave him a questioning look. “It’s just something I’ve been playing with.”

“It’s good. A little poppy for you though.” I said not sure how to feel about it. We all blew it off, trying to keep things from being awkward. We all sat around playing for bit just joking around.

“Hey, put in a movie.” Jimmy said getting comfortable on his bean bag chair.

“You guys figure out which one to put in, I’m going to go change and get popcorn.” I walked out from behind the drums.

“I’ll help.” David set down his guitar.

“I will too.” Zack went to stand from the couch.

“Actually, I need to talk to you, man.” Pierre said stopping Zack. An irritated look crossed his face but he quickly covered it.

“We’ll be back.” David and I headed down the stairs.

“I’ll go start on the popcorn.” David said before I slipped into my room. All of my gifts were piled in my chair. I changed into a pair of black and purple plaid pajama shorts and a black tank top that read ‘Bite Me’ in purple letters across the chest. I snuck down to the kitchen. Everyone was asleep and I didn’t want to chance waking them.

“Hey.” I jumped up on the counter next to the microwave as David grabbed three bowls from the cabinet. He’d already cooked one bag.

“Ok, so what’s the deal with the bruises? Don’t give me that bullshit that you’ve run into or fallen off stuff, I know you better than that.” He said after he placed the bowls on the counter. He stood at my knees, hand on counter on either side of my hips, so I couldn’t go anywhere. I stared down at my knees biting my lip. “Is it Zack?” He tilted my chin up to look him in the eye.

“No! I don’t think he could hurt a fly. He’s one of the sweetest guys I know.” I got really defensive.

“Then who?” I tore my chin from him then it dawned on him. “Aaron.” It was a statement not a question. My eyes snapped to his giving him a pleading look.

“David, you can’t tell anyone! I just got settled in here. I have friends. You know I didn’t fit in back home. If you and Chuck weren’t friends with Pierre then I would have been completely alone up there. Please don’t make me go back. I love it here.” My eyes watered. The microwave beeped. He pulled the bag out not replying to what I’d ask.

“It’s not safe.” He mumbled as he shoved the second bag in.

“I know.” I looked down. “But there’s so much for me here Dave. I’m closer to my dad.”

“Do you ever see him?” He asked returning to his previous position.

“Not really…” I bit my lip.

“It’s not my place to tell. It’s yours. Your secret is safe with me heartbreaker.” He pulled me into a hug. The other bag finished so we poured the bags into the bowls and went back upstairs to see the guys had put in Nightmare On Elm Street.

“Finally!” Jimmy took the bowl I was holding and sat on his beanbag chair next to Chase. David handed one bowl to Pierre then sat on the opposite side of the couch from Zack. I sat between the guys and propped my feet on David’s lap and my head on Zack’s. David set his bowl of popcorn on my stomach. Pierre and Chuck settled on the floor in front of the couch as the movie started. I fell asleep soon after Johnny Depp died.