When Did Your Heart Go Missing?

Part 2

I rested my head on Mikey's shoulder as he slept. I was tired because it's Friday, angry because of the test, and jealous because of Re-...well, maybe 'jealous' is a word we should avoid right now.

"Who the hell is gonna get us food when you guys graduate?" This was from Remi's familiar voice and directed towards Gerard and Ray. She sat down beside me. I knew it was her and not Frank because I believe Frank does not wear perfume. Also because Remi never lets me sit next to Frank.

Resist. The urge. To hurt. The blond.

"Bob and I will," Kelsey chipped in. Kelsey and Bob were sophomores, which meant they'd be allowed to escape this shit hole known as a high school every day for forty-five whole minutes starting next year. They were also dating, which I have to admit had me green with envy. They had such a great relationship, really...

"So where's our food today?" Frank asked. I lifted my head from Mikey's shoulder. Hearing Frank's voice made me feel less terrible.

"You didn't give us any money," Ray said in that light voice of his, the way his brown eyes looked at us making it obvious he was amused.

"You do know what that means, right?" Bob said mischievously. That's usually a good sign, so long as you're not the one he's about to target an offence to. I stared at my blond, burley friend in anticipation.

"What?" Gerard asked.

"We will be forced to shave your hair off," Bob stated. We laughed as Ray defensively brought his hands to his brown, afro-like hair. He's in love with it. Gerard's hazel eyes, at first, widened. But then he got over it and ran his fingers through his shoulder-length black hair, making it so that it was covering half of his pale face.

"The school food really isn't that bad," Gerard said.

Kelsey suddenly got an angry look in her brown eyes and on her pretty face as she looked passed my shoulder. She turned her head away, making her short brown hair cover her eyes. That can only mean one thing: Rodney.

You see...Rodney is my boyfriend. Not the greatest boy in the world although, at first, he seemed like it. Kelsey hates him with a passion. He's a sophomore and he's relatively popular so none of my friends approved of the 'jock'.

I felt two strong arms wrap around me. "Hey, baby." It was him, alright. I looked towards Frank then, for some reason. He held a blank expression. I turned to Rodney and smiled. He pressed his lips firmly against mine.

Nothing. I felt nothing. Emotionally, I mean.

Remi scooted over to let Rodney take a seat.

"So, you guys are graduating Friday?" Rodney directed this to Gerard and Ray. Ray nodded and looked away.

"Hey, Layla." I looked to my left and Frank was looking passed Remi and Rodney, smiling at me.

"Yeah?" I said, smiling right back at him.

"You wanna hang out after school? Catch up a little?"

Here's the thing: Frank and I haven't been alone together since he started dating Remi. I mean...we're best friends and we don't even have any alone time together. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently, yes.

"I thought we were hanging out tonight," Rodney said to me. "You know...just you and me. At my house."

Tempting, tempting, yes. But Rodney was another factor that made it impossible for Frank and I to lead a normal friendship.

"She spends so much time with you, she can't even spend time with her best friend!" Kelsey practically yelled at Rodney. Bob laughed at Kelsey's reaction.

"And, Frank, don't you remember that dinner?" Remi added 'casually'. "With my parents? It's been planned for, like, ever."

Did I mention Remi is a cheerleader? I personally hate stereotypes but what can I say? For. Like. Ever!

"It's almost like they're trying to keep you two away from each other," Mikey whispered in my ear. That, unfortunately, made perfect sense.

"I'll just hang with my buddy before dinner," Frank said. I looked up at him. He had the biggest smile on his face. I know this sounds lame and stupid but I just love to see him smile.

"And we'll have dinner together," I said to Rodney. He seemed disappointed but I didn't quite care. What a bad girlfriend I am!

"Now that that's settled...who wants us to go get pizza?" Gerard said somewhat awkwardly, thankfully yet blatantly changing the subject. I reached into my pocket and began to pull my wallet out, feeling glad I had "plans" with my best friend. But Rodney grabbed my hand.

"We need to talk," he stated. I could have died at that moment. Those four dreaded words...

"Okay," I said with a sigh. Rodney seemed too serious for my liking. He stood from his seat and I followed. I glanced around at my friends to see their reactions. Kelsey had fury in her eyes. The guys looked slightly disappointed.

Like I said: I suck at relationships.

Rodney and I walked hand in hand out of the cafeteria. I looked back at my friends. Frank was the only one looking at me. He gave me a small, encouraging smile.

Just what a girl needs when she knows a guy is about to break up with her. And of course I'm not being sarcastic!
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading, haha. ^-^