When Did Your Heart Go Missing?

Part 45

A few more minutes of awkward silence. I longingly looked at Frank's house as we passed it. Wishing to just go through those doors and hold him. Let him hold me. Touch him, kiss him...

And yet, I knew we were that much closer to my house. And being that much closer with Frank would not help my case.

"You don't want to talk about it, do you?"

I loved Mikey. Really. I did. He just doesn't know when to give up on being the good friend.

"No, actually, Michael," I said, trying not to sound annoyed.

"You only call me Michael when you're mad at me," he said softly. He looked down sadly. I smiled.

"Shut up," I said, shoving him away. He laughed.

"Crap."

I looked at him and followed his stare. We'd reached my house.

"Shit," I said.

"Come on."

He grabbed my hand gently in his and we walked up toward the door. I could feel myself shaking.

We walked awkwardly to the door. Mikey knocked softly. I took a step back, thinking maybe I could just run and let her burn my things. Mikey let go of my hand and gave me an "I dare you" look. I stood my ground.

The door opened. There's that disgustingly fake yet pleasant smile.

"Hello, Michael," she said in that happy voice of hers, not bothering to look at me. I could tell she didn't want to. Her fists were clenched tightly. So tightly, I could see her knuckles turning white.

"Hello, miss-ah, Deloris," Mikey said, correcting himself mid-sentence.

Mother dearest opened the door wide and signaled for us to go in. Mikey pulled me in quickly, as if helping me avoid her.

"There's a suitcase up there for her," I heard my mom say as I followed Mikey up the stairs.

I sighed in relief as I closed the bedroom door and fell onto my bed. That was easier than I thought.

"But get the fuck out quickly!" I heard her angrily yell up the stairs as Mikey fell beside me. "I can't promise I won't want to break something with her in my house!"

She was talking like I wasn't listening. She didn't want me to be here. She hated me. She wanted me dead.

"Do you...do you want my help?" Mikey asked awkwardly. I didn't even answer. I stood, opened the suitcase that had been laid out on the floor, and threw my things into it. I felt like I would faint. I was honestly scared.

After a few minutes, everything had been thrown into the suitcase and I was struggling to close it.

"Let me help," Mikey said, sitting on the suitcase. It didn't really help.

"I think we're both just too skinny," Mikey mused. I laughed helplessly. The door shot open.

"Get the fuck out," she said, not bothering to conceal her anger.

I stood and took a few slow steps back. From the corner of my eye, I saw Mikey hastily closing the suitcase. She stalked toward me just as Mikey stood, protectively standing in front of me.

"We're leaving," he said nervously.

"You're gone," she corrected, her eyes burning holes through my skull.

"We're gone."

Mikey grabbed my hand, picked up the suitcase, and walked passed her, dragging me along. I was numb and helpless. My eyes locked with hers for a moment. It was as if she was hoping for me to lose it under her gaze. But I wouldn't give in.

Mikey walked down the stairs, literally carrying my weight. He paced to the front door, pushing it open. He let go of my hand and dragged the suitcase down the steps with him, leaving me feeling weak and helpless. I walked slowly down the steps, seeing Mikey turn to me at the end of the driveway with a pleading expression. Then, his eyes went wide.

"Layla!" he yelled after me.

I looked back and she pushed me, forcing me to trip down the rest of the stairs and fall flat on my back.

"Good bye," my mother said to me coldly. My eyes were tightly shut from the sharp pain in my back, having landed on it. I could hear Mikey running toward me as my mother slammed the door.

"Shit, shit, shit..." Mikey said hastily, breathlessly. His voice sounded near. I opened my eyes and he was hovering over me. "Layla, I'm so sorry, I-I shouldn't have let your hand go..."

Yeah. You shouldn't have.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mikey feels so bad XD

Frankie appears next chapter! Aren't we happy? I love the next chapter, really. 31 people voted on it on Quizilla, gave it a solid 5 out of 5 O.O I may not update again today ;]

Wow, school hasn't even started yet and I updated three tmes lol