Facing the Unknown

Black.

Lately I've been sitting for hours, just imagining what things looked like when I could see. I think I imagine these things because I'm afraid to forget. I'm afraid to forget the details of the simple things. 

How every feather on a bird makes up it's actual color, or how each hair on a dogs back are perfectly align to make its thick coat. It was the simple stuff I wanted to remember, the simple things I was scared to forget.

But, my favorite things to remember are the trees. Every leaf and branch makes the whole. There are tall trees and small trees, they are all unique. I loved the  reds, oranges, yellows, and greens they bloom into in the fall, and how they are left bare in the winter-the vacant branches spiraling up towards the sky. 

I loved how they were home to so many animals, big and small, and how they came alive at night. Trees were the most beautiful creation. 

I didn't just try to remember these things because I was afraid to forget, but to keep the memories out of my head. The memories that even though I was blind, were vivid pictures stamped onto my eyelids.

Darkness, it's such a simple thing isn't it? The day turns dark as it comes to an end, or your basement is dark If you don't flip on a switch. Darkness can be a comfort or a discomfort depending on the circumstances. 

But, usually in all cases you can flip a switch and light will soon enter. You can choose whether or not you want to be in the darkness.

I'm stuck in a black abyss, a world of shadows. All I see are shades of grays and blacks as I look around. The faint outline of an object, It's like being stuck in my own world.

It was a scary thing, really. It was like being trapped in a room with the lights turned off, and no matter how hard you tried you couldn't get the light switch to turn on. 

I was masked in a never-ending darkness, that I could never escape. But the memories, they were crystal clear. 

It was two weeks ago, August 27th to be exact. It was a hot Summer day, and I was with my best friends Ashleigh and Evelyn. We were going to the beach like every other day this week. The music was turned up loud, and the windows were rolled down all the way. We were careless teenagers. 

Ashleigh was at the wheel, mouthing every word to every song, and banging her head with the music. She had one arm on the steering wheel, and the other laid carelessly out the window. Her long, blonde hair with that one purple streak blew recklessly in the wind, and she had a permanent smile pasted on her heart shaped face.

Evelyn sat in the backseat, quietly humming to the words of the song, reading a fashion magazine, and painting her toes a deep purple. Her brown hair was thrown carelessly into a messy pony tail and she wore just a cami and shorts.

I was in the passenger seat, my legs up on the dashboard. I had my head leaned against the back of the seat, and closed my eyes in the beating sun. 

We were the best of friends, always attached by the hip. With school not in the way, we hadn't been apart for a day. 

"I hate this song!" Ashleigh hollered, and leaned over to turn the station. 

"Ashleigh look out!" Screamed Evelyn from the backseat.
 
Glass shattering, screams of terror, and piercing pain was the details I remembered the most. I remember feeling the sticky, blood run down my face and Ashleigh screaming "I'm sorry!" over and over. I could feel the shards of glass piercing my body, and my clothes stuck to my body. The scariest part of it all was the silence, the silence from Evelyn. I don't remember hearing a word from her.

I remember reaching up to my eyes, as if trying to wipe them clear. As soon as I went to touch them though, I could hear the sound of sirens and a soft voice telling me not to move.

That was the day my world went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy :)
I'm fully open to all feedback. I'd love to make this the best story it can be.

-Beautiful.mess;