We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

Here Am I

"O best friend!" Ellie called.

I looked up from my computer. Ellie looked like the cat who ate the canary.

"S'up?"

"The seeds have been planted," she said proudly, throwing her purse on the couch and joining it.

I squinted at the screen.

"The seeds of what and where?"

"The seeds of doubt, in Amanda."

My heart jumped in my throat.

"I don't want to know Ellie. I am not going to have Will angry with me."

"Oh, he won't even know what's going on."

The phone rang and I picked it up.

"Hello?"

"May I speak to Abby?"

"No, she's a mute, she doesn't speak."

"Abby?"

"And this is?"

"It's Amanda."

I gave Ellie a look.

"Amanda, hi. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I wanted to see if you and Ellie and Rob wanted to go out to dinner tonight."

I knitted my eyebrows, trying to figure out what was going on.

"Um, let me talk to Ellie."

I put Amanda on hold and turned to glare at Ellie.

"What the hell did you say? She wants you, Rob, and I to go to dinner tonight."

"Ha! Yes, we'll go. And you're going too."

She snatched the phone from my hand.

"We'll be there, all of us."

I couldn't hear the rest of the conversation. Ellie had this evil look on her face when she hung up the phone.

"We're going to Mahli's for Indian food."

"Ellie, what did you say. That girl doesn't want me any where near Will."

"Oh, I just told her that you and Will were close and that her keeping you two from hanging out would just make him resent her. Oh, and I also told her that she doesn't know the real Will."

"What are you trying to do?" I asked.

"Get you two back together."

I just shook my head.

"Well, when are we meeting?"

"Get ready babe, in an hour. Oh, and let me pick what you wear."

I sighed in irritation.

"Why?"

"Because I know what Will likes you in."

She picked out a white dress with a drop waist and halter top printed with red anchors, then a navy blue cardigan. I tried to tell her it was too fancy and I wouldn't wear it. So, she picked out a pair of black denim capris and a black v-neck tank top with red piping. I got ready and had to admit, I looked pretty good. I put on a pair of black lowtop chucks and a black cardigan. We got in my car and drove to the restaurant. Amanda waved to us from a table where she was sitting with Will and Rob. I smirked and sat down.

"Hello all."

"Hi, Abby! How are you?" Amanda asked in this high pitched girly voice.

"Busy, you?"

"The same. It's a lot of work, planning the wedding. I wanted to ask you if you would be a bridesmaid."

I gave her a look and then looked at Will who shrugged.

"Well, Amanda, I don't really know you. I would feel kind of weird up there."

"But you're Will's friend, so you're mine too."

I almost snorted, but out of respect for Will, held it in.

"Um, Will, how do you feel about it?"

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Well, you shouldn't do something that makes you uncomfortable."

Amanda pouted and smacked him in the arm.

"Will!"

"I'm sorry Amanda, I just can't. I wouldn't feel comfortable. If I was up there, I should be on Will's side. So, Will, how are your classes going?"

What it really came down to was that if I was a bridesmaid, I would be agreeing to the marriage, which I didn't. I just couldn't stand by that girl. Will began chatting about his classes and the subject was changed. The food came which was another welcome distraction.

"Will!" Amanda cried, "Oh my god! You need to try this!"

Will and I both gaped at her.

"You should try mine," Will said.

"Eww, that's tofu."

"You don't think that I feel the same way about that chicken you're eating?"

"Eating meat is normal! We're omnivores, humans are supposed to eat meat."

"I don't! Why can't you respect that?"

I felt bad for Will. Amanda was beginning to go a little crazy. I watched Amanda let the big crocodile tears out.

"I'm sorry Will," she sniffed. "I really am trying."

"I know, but I don't know what you're trying. Can we just stop now?"

The rest of the meal was eaten in silence. We all paid our bills and walked outside. I hugged Rob and Ellie, she was going home with him that night. I turned to Will and Amanda. Amanda threw her arms around me. I uncomfortably patted her on the back. Then, I turned to Will. He didn't even smile as he put his arms around me. I inhaled his scent, he always wore Tommy. He released me and I went and got into my car to drive home.

I got back to the apartment and again was alone. I felt uncomfortable witnessing the display between Will and Amanda. He really shouldn't have been marrying her. But, I couldn't say anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments guys! You rock!