The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 27

On her second day with Will and Kate, Gillian could hardly sleep at all. Her fatigue continued but for some reason she could not succumb to it. She felt tired, and her mood was extremely unpredictable. In Will and Kate’s company, it was hard to feel unhappy, but Gillian occasionally found a way.

Kate’s usually cheeriness was unaffected; she glowed with happiness and nothing seemed to upset her. William too, seemed content with everything and was as gracious as ever. Watching them together was like watching a result of a love story. They loved each other so much that Gillian had to smile whenever she saw them together.

Will was, of course, still tied to his military training and so after their early breakfast Gillian and Kate were left to their own devices in the large house. They settled in the sitting room with their tea, Gillian pulling a blanket over herself and Kate declaring that it was hot as hell.

“How can you say that?” Gillian laughed. “It’s freezing!”

“What are you on about?” Kate retorted playfully. “This house could be sitting on the sun for all I know.”

The two of them lazed on the couches and chatted intermittently as their eyelids drooped over their eyes until lunchtime.

“Jill,” Kate whined. “I’m hungry.”

“It’s your house.” Gillian replied, although she too felt hunger pains in her abdomen.

“But I’m so tired, I don’t want to move.” Kate said.

“Me too.” Gillian smiled lazily.

“Let’s just get some ice cream.” Kate suggested.

“Mmm, sounds good.” Gillian rolled off the couch and wrapped the blanket around her shoulders. “I need something warm too.”

“How about … pizza?” Kate smiled over from spot on the couch.

“Perfect.”

Somehow, the two of them managed to make their way to the kitchen and prepare their so called lunch.

•••

Gillian sat up in her bed, wrenched awake by the muffled sound of voices and a door closing down the hall. She threw back her covers and set her feet on the chill hardwood floor before crossing to her door and opening it a crack.

At the end of the hall she saw William standing in front of the bathroom door. His arms were crossed over his chest, his face combed into a look of concern. She stepped out into the hallway and closed her door behind her.

“What’s going on?” Gillian asked.

“It’s Kate.” He responded, looking up.

“Is she okay?” Gillian asked, concerned.

The door opened behind him and Kate appeared, her skin sickly green. The penetrating smell of vomit wafted down the hall towards Gillian who felt bile rise in her throat. She wretched and put a hand to her mouth.

“Jill?” Kate looked at her in horror.

She threw herself into the bathroom and slammed the door behind her.

•••

The next morning, Gillian woke early, her throat sticky. Will and Kate had spent a few moments standing outside the bathroom door, calling after her. She had eventually managed to convince them to go to bed, leaving Gillian alone in the bathroom.

As she padded downstairs, the morning sun crawling over the wooden sill of the numerous windows, Gillian considered her situation. She still felt nauseous, she definitely had a fever and she felt dizzy. She had obviously caught some sickness …

William was in the kitchen, looking out the window above the sink as he washed the dishes. A small smile rested below his nose as he worked.

“Why don’t you use the dishwasher?” Gillian said, surprising him out of his trance.

“Broken.” He replied.

Gillian picked up a dishcloth and started to dry the ceramics Will was placing in the dish rack.

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

“Fantastic.” Gillian remarked sarcastically, looking over to grin at Will. “How’s Kate?”

“Still sleeping. She seemed to be fine after we got back to bed, but we’re going in to see the doctor today just as well. You should probably come along.” He replied.

Gillian nodded, putting a plate in the cupboard. A silence followed, filled only by the strange swishing of water and the sound of the wound outside the window.

“Have you … “

Gillian looked up at Will. “Have I what?”

“Have you …” Will looked sheepish. “Have you and Harry … you know …”

A red colour immediately covered Gillian’s entire face, even her hands reddened. She remained silent, completely taken aback and unsure as to what to say.

•••

The three of them sat in a private lounge of some sort, the air perfumey and the walls pristine white. Kate and Will chatted quietly between themselves, Kate sporting a beautiful glowing smile. She radiated grace and happiness, as did Will.

Gillian still felt slightly nauseous and was relieved when two doctors, one a man and one a woman, came into the waiting room.

“William, Kate.” The man said, smiling. “How are you?”

“Lovely.” Kate replied quietly, still smiling.

“We’re going to look at you both at the same time so that we can get you home as soon as possible.” The woman said. “Gillian, if you’ll just follow me.”

Gillian stood and followed the woman into a small exam room.

“I’m Dr. Reid.” She said. “Now, tell me your symptoms.”

•••

Dr Reid closed the door to the exam room behind her a wished Gillian well before scurrying off to the main clinic. Gillian sat down in the waiting room to wait for William and Kate, both of them obviously still occupied by their appointment. She tapped her hands nervously against her knees just as the door to Kate’s exam room opened.

Kate was beaming, her entire face occupied by the giant smile. Will looked nervous, a sort of shocked look engaging his face. Their doctor turned to them and shook both of their hands.

“Congratulations.” He smiled. “I would tell your immediate family and begin looking into finding a reliable and experienced OB-GYN.”

As he padded away, Gillian stood up, sporting a look of surprise.

“OB-GYN?” She asked.

Kate nodded, still smiling widely. “Jill,” She took William’s hand. “We are going to have a baby.”

Gillian broke into a laugh and enveloped both of them in a long hug as they left.

“This is so fantastic! I can’t wait to see your Grandmother’s reaction.” Gillian laughed.

Kate nodded in agreement. “So, Jill, what did your doctor say?”

There was a silence as Gillian swallowed loudly.
♠ ♠ ♠
i missed you guys! hope this chapter tides you over because the next one is coming at christmas ... xxx