Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Ten

March 7th, 2011
Monday
Milan and Raina’s Apartment, Boston, MA
11:39 P.M.

The game against Buffalo went well with the Bruins winning 3-1. Soon after the game the team flew home and the girls drove back home arriving two hours after the team’s flight did. When Raina got home she didn’t see Milan and called out

“I’m home!”

“I’m up here,” she heard Milan yell back from upstairs. She went upstairs and found him in the closet. He was looking through his clothes.

“What are you doing?”

“The wake’s tomorrow at 9:00, I need something to wear.”

“I’m pretty sure I have a black dress that fits me.”

The two woke up next morning and got ready for the wake. It was in a funeral home nearby so it wasn’t a long drive. When they walked in they joined Nathan and his wife at the back of the line. Nathan looked sad like the rest of the people in line and Tammy as usual, ignored her. Milan and Nathan talked quietly while Raina watched Tammy who had her back turned to her. Milan and Nathan had grown closer over the season. They were good friends now and Raina wished her and Tammy could just get along so they could go out together and hang out. But Tammy had been best friends with Brittany. She wished she could join into the conversation with Milan and Nate but whatever Nathan seemed to be telling Milan seemed secretive as he leaned in close and whispered. When Milan turned away from Nate Raina gave him a questioning look. Milan gave her an I’ll-tell-you-later look. The line moved up and soon they were in the room. The two bodies up in the front of the room in the caskets look unreal. Both Anna and Rick looked so peaceful lying there. As if they were only asleep. It was disturbing, upsetting, and saddening all at once. As Raina approached the first casket she wanted to turn and run. When she kneeled down next to Milan to pray she was unsure what to pray about. She started to think about how she hoped Rick was peaceful up in Heaven, that his killer would be found, and no one else would get hurt. She prayed the same thing when she moved over to Anna’s casket. She felt tears spill down her face as she got up and followed Milan through the crowd. They went to stand with Tuukka, Jasmiina, Vlad, Tim, his wife Melissa, Nathan, and Tammy. There wasn’t much talking as the nine of them stood in a circle. Melissa and Raina were the only two crying as Milan and Tim tried to comfort them. When the priest began to talk the crowd took their seats. Anna and Rick’ family stood at the front of the room, softly crying as the priest talked about how Rick had been excited when he got the news he was to the Boston Bruins.

“I remember when I was drafted to the Bruins and how excited I felt,” said Milan sadly. “His dreams were cut off before he could experience them.” When the wake ended it was time for the funeral and burial. They went back out to the car and followed the hearse to the graveyard. Raina clung to Milan’s arm as she saw the two large holes lined up next to each other. Milan put his arms around her. As they lowered the caskets into the ground Raina couldn’t watch any longer and looked away, pressing herself closer to Milan and hiding her face in his big black leather jacket. She listened to the dirt being shoveled back into the hole, and hitting the widen cover of the casket. Milan finally said

“It’s over, it’s time to go,” She looked up at him with her tear stained face. “The funeral’s over,” Raina saw people walking away back towards their cars. Where the holes had been were now to strips of fresh dirt. The two new headstones were placed at the top. On Rick’s tombstone had a picture of him on it. He had his arms and stick up in the air in victory.

Back in the car Raina couldn’t get the image of the picture of Rick o the tombstone out of her head. It disturbed her. They were driving behind several other players as they were all heading home the same way. They were behind Nathan’s big black Escalade SUV. Eager to get her mind off of the funeral Raina said

“So what’s up with Nate?”

“He’s just going through a rough time,”

“Why?” Milan paused and then took a deep breath and said

“If I tell you this you can’t tell anyone, not even Jasmiina or Tuukka.” Raina was confused and said

“I won’t, what’s going on?”

“I’m serious Raina, no one can know.”

“Alright, I won’t say anything to anybody! Now spill.”

“He had an affair.”

“What?!” said Raina. As much as she didn’t like Tammy she thought her and Nathan were happily married.

“Ya it’s a long story, he isn’t telling me everything that went on but it’s a pretty bad situation.”

“What’s he told you?”

“Not much except that he met her a long time ago back when Dylan was first born. He had an affair with her then but it didn’t last long and afterward neither of them ever contacted each other again.”

“Than then?” said Raina.

“Well back in the summer when he first came to Boston he ran into her. She came here for college and they started the affair again. It’s been going on for eight months now.”

“Does he actually care about her or is it just a sexual relationship?”

“He loves her,”

“So it’s just like how you and I were, he can’t choose between the girl he really loves and the girl he’s with?”

“No, it’s much more serious Raina, he’s married with a son, all of that will get involved. His whole life will be derailed if anyone finds out or he continues the relationship.”

“So is that why he was so sad?”

“It’s because the girl left today.”

“Where’d she go?”

“He doesn’t know, she told him she wants him to stay with his family and forget about her.”

“So problem solved,” said Raina.

“He loves her; he doesn’t want her to leave. And I think there’s more to it. He’s leaving out details, I can tell.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that there’s something else going on he’s deeply upset about. He wouldn’t even tell me the girl’s name, he’s hiding more about it. I’m not gonna dig for more information though. If he doesn’t want to tell me anything more I respect that.” Raina was still in shock and said

“Of all the couples, I would have never expected those two would ever have a problem.”

“He didn’t have the affair because he’s unsatisfied with Tammy. That’s another thing he wouldn’t tell me. Why he was so attached to this girl after almost two years of not seeing her.”

“How long have you known?”

“For a few weeks I’ve known he’s been involved with another girl, but he just told me the story today.”

“The drama that goes beyond the games in hockey!” exclaimed Raina.

The two went home and spent the rest of the night relaxing with each other. It wasn’t until 1:00 in the morning when she awoke to a phone call that seemed to shatter Raina’s life into pieces yet again.
__________________________________________________
Thank so much for reading :) Please comment.

Sorry I haven't update in awhile, I was really busy this week and last night I went to the game so I didn't have time.

This chapter gives you some idea about what my Horton story will be about ;) Not sure when I'm going to start writing it. I might soon and do both stories at the same time. If I do that then I'll switch off everyday and post a chapter for each story every other day.